or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 266

post #3976 of 12489

Your best bet is a cobbler shop.

post #3977 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post

Just posted these images in the B/S section for my non-toxic shoe polish and I thought I would share them here.

Black, quarter brogue, Adelaide, Edward Green shoes on the 888 last, polished with GlenKaren polish:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Rubbed down with GlenKaren Leather Cleaner/Conditioner:




Brush shine with GlenKaren Black Cream Polish:



Mirror shine on toe and heel counter with GlenKaren High Shine Paste Polish:



Close up of toe in natural lighting:

wonderful job
post #3978 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Just let them darken through wear?





I was thinking more along the lines of staining the white threading brown to blend it in with the rest of the sole, with edge dressing or something like it. Does anybody have past experience doing this to a pair of their shoes? Originally, the threading on the shoe was a "natural" brown. I have no idea why white threading was used to resole the shoe, I had just assumed they would use the same color threading as before, or at least tell me what they were going to do before they did it. The white threading really changes the look of the whole shoe.

I'm somewhat cautious about doing it myself, since I feel like I'll probably do a half-assed job of it and make them look worse instead of better. Any advice would be great!
post #3979 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobred View Post






I was thinking more along the lines of staining the white threading brown to blend it in with the rest of the sole, with edge dressing or something like it. Does anybody have past experience doing this to a pair of their shoes? Originally, the threading on the shoe was a "natural" brown. I have no idea why white threading was used to resole the shoe, I had just assumed they would use the same color threading as before, or at least tell me what they were going to do before they did it. The white threading really changes the look of the whole shoe.

I'm somewhat cautious about doing it myself, since I feel like I'll probably do a half-assed job of it and make them look worse instead of better. Any advice would be great!

 

I think you could easily do what you proposed with some edge dressing in the appropriate color.  If you are worried about precision, you could always squeeze some edge dressing into a separate container and use a q-tip to precisely apply it.  Another thought, though it isn't made for shoes, is using a wood stain marker.  You can go down to any hardware store and buy wood stain that is in the form of a marker (made for touching up scratches in furniture) and just run it along the stitching line. 

post #3980 of 12489

Hi guys, looking to put together a shoe care kit, don't really know what I'm doing, some guides would be really helpful. Want something that can protect and take care of all my shoes, a complete kit kind of thing? What do I need

My shoes are

White soled leather sneakers

Brown Meermins

Brown Florshiems

Boots

Blue Sude

Brown Suede

Black leahther

and probably a few others I'm forgetting

 

What should I be getting and are there any really good, must read guides?

 

Cheers

Adam

post #3981 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

Hi guys, looking to put together a shoe care kit, don't really know what I'm doing, some guides would be really helpful. Want something that can protect and take care of all my shoes, a complete kit kind of thing? What do I need

My shoes are

White soled leather sneakers

Brown Meermins

Brown Florshiems

Boots

Blue Sude

Brown Suede

Black leahther

and probably a few others I'm forgetting

 

What should I be getting and are there any really good, must read guides?

 

Cheers

Adam

 

What's your budget? This is a pretty good high-end starter kit if you want to start with the good stuff...   $195

 

http://hangerproject.com/closet/shoe-care/saphir-shoeshine-starter-kit.html#.USZOE1rF3-I

post #3982 of 12489
Wholecut Berluti Club:



post #3983 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

...What should I be getting and are there any really good, must read guides?

This thread has a great deal of good information on shoe care and shoe care products. I would also recommend my blog (sorry for the self promotion) which has a section dedicated to shoe care.
post #3984 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post

Wholecut Berluti Club:



I would love to see these in action.
Post pics of you rocking these in the Show Off Your Sock And Pant Combo thread

post #3985 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post

Wholecut Berluti Club:



 

These are works of art. Beautiful.

post #3986 of 12489

Is this product safe to use on my AE walnut Strands? I'm a bit of a n00b so blahh
It's what my local cobbler carries.


 

I got this and a neutral shoe wax from kiwi.

post #3987 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan17 View Post

Is this product safe to use on my AE walnut Strands? I'm a bit of a n00b so blahh

It's what my local cobbler carries.

.

I have not used this product, but I would be concerned that it contains silicone. It states that it is a water repellent, produces a shine, and contains no waxes.

Unlike wax that allows moisture to pass to some degree, silicone does not. Leather allows some moisture/perspiration to pass through to the surface for evaporation. The thin layers of shoe polish wax impede this to some degree, but also allow some moisture to pass through, which is why shoe polish does not make your shoes water proof. However, silicone is used in water repellent products because it is very good at sealing out (or in) moisture.

I don't know for sure if this product contains silicone, I'm just saying that if it does I would probably avoid using it.
post #3988 of 12489
What is the best suede waterproofer? Ideally something that doesn't change suede color? Just got the Cleverley by C&J aubergine double monks and want to keep color spot on
post #3989 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

What is the best suede waterproofer? Ideally something that doesn't change suede color? Just got the Cleverley by C&J aubergine double monks and want to keep color spot on
Pics or no you didn't biggrin.gif
post #3990 of 12489
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post

Pics or no you didn't biggrin.gif

haha about to go to bed, been wanting a pair forever and couldn't resist after picked up the russian reindeer saddle too. Almost bought the belt as well but caught myself
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**