or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 208

post #3106 of 10211
Bingo! Not as beeswax heavy so the water cannot get trapped.
post #3107 of 10211

Great, thanks for the advice to use leather oil instead of LP! I'll try that.

post #3108 of 10211
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


I would try to use a conditioner to clear them out. I would put trees in them and try rubbing a bit hard with a rag and either some renovateur, or lexol conditioner. After that, maybe a little bit of pigmented shoe cream in a close shade to the shoes.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

post #3109 of 10211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymil View Post

Wouldn't a mirror-shined couch a) crack because couches flex all over the place or b) if it didn't crack, be prone to gross finger-prints and stuff?

I'd be more worried about 'butt prints'. shog[1].gif
post #3110 of 10211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I'd be more worried about 'butt prints'. shog[1].gif

 

I, at least, usually wear trousers when I sit on my couch...

post #3111 of 10211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymil View Post

I, at least, usually wear trousers when I sit on my couch...

Aren't you precious?!?!?!?

biggrin.gif
post #3112 of 10211

 

 

Anyone care to diagnose some darkening on a pair of C&J for Ralph Lauren boots?

I bought these on eBay and when they arrived last week, color seemed pretty even in most places (you can actually see the "before" pics here).

First day wearing them, I was at the supermarket and someone knocked over a 64-oz bottle of cranberry juice, splattering some on the boots.

I wiped them with some paper towel and when I got home, dabbed them with some water in the spots where the juice had landed. The vamp on the left became saturated quickly, and when it dried I was left with the darkening visible in pic 1. There was a bit of this before, but it's much more prominent now.

So I waited a few days, then decided to try cleaning and conditioning. I wiped the shoes with Lexol PH and then went over them with a damp cloth. Then applied Renovateur.

And it was then that the slightly scuffed area on the toes got darker (pic 2). This wasn't an area that got hit hard with the cranberry juice and it didn't display any color change when I dabbed it following the incident. This area looked a bit scuffed prior to all this (see "before" pics), but it's worse now.

So I put on a few very thin coats of cream polish, and there's hardly any change.

Any idea what's going on here? Did I damage the leather on the vamp trying to clean it after the spill? What about the toes? Since that discoloration got worse after cleaning and conditioning, will it maybe just fade with time and brushing? Anything else I should try?

Thanks for any guidance.

post #3113 of 10211
Just getting into nice shoes, and wanted to start off right by getting the right products.
Will be used on calfskin

Saphir Renovateur or Venetian shoe cream?
Edited by mikeman - 10/24/12 at 7:47pm
post #3114 of 10211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post

Just getting into nice shoes, and wanted to start off right by getting the right products.
Will be used on calfskin
Saphir Renovateur or Venetian shoe cream?


Saphir for calf would be my recommendation. But I'd also recommend Lexol (don't worry, it's really cheap by comparison). Lexol penetrates the leather much better for deeper conditioning IMO while Saphir does some of this and also gives a gorgeous warm glow when brushed out.

 

Venetian is great for shell cordovan and also good for calf.

post #3115 of 10211

I haven't posted a "here's what I did on today's conference call" post in a while. I decided to have a go at a brand new pair of color 8 Alden shell cap toe boots. If there is a model that's crying for a mirror toe, it is the cap toe. Because they are color 8 and have very little contrast, it's hard to capture the shine in an image.

 

Boots are only a week old and looked great with just a good brushing. I applied a coat of Renovateur to the entire upper, brushed, then applied a few extremely thin coats of Saphir Cordovan wax, followed by more brushing. I finished by buffing. The pictures are a bit deceiving but there is no wax at all past the cap. I stopped applying wax just shy of the brogued section.

 

Before pic isn't exactly out of the box. I brushed them for a good 15-20 minutes the night I bought them. They were fairly drab out of the box but really came to life after a little Mac method.

 

1000

 

 

And after the renovateur and wax.

 

1000

 

 

1000

 

 

1000

 

1000

post #3116 of 10211
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Always enjoy your posts! Receiving my first shells in a couple of days, goona have to post a before and after picture here as well then!
post #3117 of 10211
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I haven't posted a "here's what I did on today's conference call" post in a while. I decided to have a go at a brand new pair of color 8 Alden shell cap toe boots. If there is a model that's crying for a mirror toe, it is the cap toe. Because they are color 8 and have very little contrast, it's hard to capture the shine in an image.

 

Boots are only a week old and looked great with just a good brushing. I applied a coat of Renovateur to the entire upper, brushed, then applied a few extremely thin coats of Saphir Cordovan wax, followed by more brushing. I finished by buffing. The pictures are a bit deceiving but there is no wax at all past the cap. I stopped applying wax just shy of the brogued section.

 

Before pic isn't exactly out of the box. I brushed them for a good 15-20 minutes the night I bought them. They were fairly drab out of the box but really came to life after a little Mac method.

 

 

Amazing shine on the shell, Patrick! Hard to believe there's no wax past the caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Always enjoy your posts! Receiving my first shells in a couple of days, goona have to post a before and after picture here as well then!

 

C'mon - inquiring minds want to know. What did you get? smile.gif

post #3118 of 10211
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I haven't posted a "here's what I did on today's conference call" post in a while. I decided to have a go at a brand new pair of color 8 Alden shell cap toe boots. If there is a model that's crying for a mirror toe, it is the cap toe. Because they are color 8 and have very little contrast, it's hard to capture the shine in an image.

Boots are only a week old and looked great with just a good brushing. I applied a coat of Renovateur to the entire upper, brushed, then applied a few extremely thin coats of Saphir Cordovan wax, followed by more brushing. I finished by buffing. The pictures are a bit deceiving but there is no wax at all past the cap. I stopped applying wax just shy of the brogued section.

Before pic isn't exactly out of the box. I brushed them for a good 15-20 minutes the night I bought them. They were fairly drab out of the box but really came to life after a little Mac method.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


And after the renovateur and wax. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








Wow.
post #3119 of 10211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post

Just getting into nice shoes, and wanted to start off right by getting the right products.
Will be used on calfskin
Saphir Renovateur or Venetian shoe cream?

In general I do not support the idea of Renovateur as an 'all purpose' shoe care product for frequent use. Nor for initial conditioning.

I'm coming to prefer Saphir Lotion for general conditioning and now prefer Reno only for shoes that have wax/polish already applied on them.

This change of heart began with an unfortunate Reno experience: One application to a previously untreated pair of Alden Whisky Cordovan shoes substantially and I suspect permanently darkened the vamp on only one of the two shoes. This was not your normal darkening caused by moisture absorbing into the leather. As this sort of darkening eventually goes away and it has been a couple of months since the event. Rather - the darkening looked more like a chemical reaction of some sort in that the resulting effect was like black soot (fine black dots).

So I ordered a bottle of Saphir lotion and began by using it on all of calf skin shoes - it seemed to be working well as moisturizing and in fact seems to improve the flexibility of the polish/wax finish (less white creasing) better than the Reno had been doing.

Today I finally got up the courage to treat the Alden shells with the Saphir Lotion in an attempt to even them out some. While the darkened area created by the Reno hasn't completely gone away I can say that the black sooty look has lifted and the shoes look much better overall.

In the long run - concerning shell from Alden - Clearly I should have stuck to the Mac Method and avoided conditioning them at all.
post #3120 of 10211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

C'mon - inquiring minds want to know. What did you get? smile.gif

A pair of lightly used RL wingtip marlows at a great price. I've been looking for them for over a year! I was thinking about using some reno, but I'm not sure after reading G's experience. I was looking for venetian, but I was quoted $38 for shipping.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**