or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 199

post #2971 of 12372
The Saphir description clearly states that Saddle Soap is for the cleaning of rough oily leathers.

They describe the Cleaning Soap as appropriate for the cleaning of 'finished' leather. They mention Hermes uses it to clean handbags.

I have used Saphir Saddle Soap to clean calf leather shoes before. They didn't seem any the worse for it. I guess, given Saphir's own recommendation, that I shouldn't have used it on dress shoes.
post #2972 of 12372

Does anyone know of a source for Venetian Cream in the UK? 

 

While I'm planning to mainly brush my shells, they have a small dry patch.

post #2973 of 12372

Tea-stained Tan Shoes Update

It has been roughly 9x24 hours since my Tan Derby get stained. I realize after removing polish with Cleaner (Making the shoe 'Bare' of outer layer of polish) the Stain fade away little by little. I just put it on well ventilated wardrobe with cedar shoe trees. I think the difference of Tea Stain is just the amount of 'Stain' that would stuck in the shoes. It's very time consuming to wait for the Stain to fade

post #2974 of 12372
I like the way you've given The Stain proper noun status.
post #2975 of 12372
Got a knick in my brand-new JL Beckett Classics. It's like a tiny tear, of course, right on the front of the shoe. It looks like some sort of stone (a touch under a millimeter) cut into it. You can see I guess white underneath the black finish. Is there anything that can be done or is this something that you just put polish on and try to not obsesses over?
post #2976 of 12372
There's a new Saphir product out for just that purpose. Good reviews (in this thread I think). Seem to remember the Hanger Project (USA) sells it. Anyway, someone here will definitely know more.

Lear
post #2977 of 12372
There are fillers such as Saphir Canadian and Saphir Recolorant Repair Cream both can be used to fill scrapes.

Bear in mind that these are heavily pigmented and thick and should be used carefully.

Check out The Hanger Project descriptions here:

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/shoe-care/saphir-mdo-shoe-polish.html
post #2978 of 12372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

There are fillers such as Saphir Canadian and Saphir Recolorant Repair Cream both can be used to fill scrapes.
Bear in mind that these are heavily pigmented and thick and should be used carefully.
Check out The Hanger Project descriptions here:
http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/shoe-care/saphir-mdo-shoe-polish.html

Awesome. Thanks guys. You can imagine my frustration dropping that much on dress shoes and then getting a scrape. So random!
post #2979 of 12372

Wow, this thread is so educational.  Very nice.  Where can I get all the tools required to do the job listed here?

post #2980 of 12372

I just have shoe cream and applied it do my shoes. They're loafers so I never thought they needed a good shine.

 

I wiped the shoe down with a damp cloth, then put the shoe cream on with a horsehair dauber. It looks great but the only problem is that whenever any water (even a drop) touches my show, it creates a residue that is slightly darker than the cream I put on it. Did I skip a step?

post #2981 of 12372

From my experience, when using Shoe Cream try to avoid any water into the shoe. Shoe cream doesn't give a good water protection like Wax so IMO don't use any water to give a Shine to Cream. Just brush it then buff with fine cotton Cloth

post #2982 of 12372
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Hard to say, but Lexol is cheap and good stuff.

Clearly Patrick Is referring to conditioner but just a quick comment Re: Lexol leather *cleaner* vs. Renomat. If you are trying to remove wax polish, IME the Lexol will accomplish the job but it takes a lot of product and effort/time. Renomat, OTOH seems to accomplish the task with very little product and effort. Renomat also seems to leave the leather in better condition after the polish is removed and it takes very little product.

So in this case (Lexol cleaner vs. saphir Renomat) Renomat may be a more economical option in terms of time and effort, and maybe even price.
post #2983 of 12372
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Clearly Patrick Is referring to conditioner but just a quick comment Re: Lexol leather *cleaner* vs. Renomat. If you are trying to remove wax polish, IME the Lexol will accomplish the job but it takes a lot of product and effort/time. Renomat, OTOH seems to accomplish the task with very little product and effort. Renomat also seems to leave the leather in better condition after the polish is removed and it takes very little product.
So in this case (Lexol cleaner vs. saphir Renomat) Renomat may be a more economical option in terms of time and effort, and maybe even price.

I agree. Renomat is much faster and easier to use, but it also seems to dry out the leather more than the Lexol cleaner. I have moved from using Lexol cleaner to using Renomat in most cases, and I just use a little more Lexol leather conditioner when I'm done with the cleaning process.
post #2984 of 12372

Question, on a pair of shoes I just got from thrifting, the toe area appears darker than the rest of the shoe, it also feels slightly rougher/waxier, not as smooth as the other areas and refuse to take a shine. I tried AE's conditioner cleaner and it doesn't appear to help. Is this a case where I need to use lexol or renomat to strip the area?

post #2985 of 12372
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


Clearly Patrick Is referring to conditioner but just a quick comment Re: Lexol leather *cleaner* vs. Renomat. If you are trying to remove wax polish, IME the Lexol will accomplish the job but it takes a lot of product and effort/time. Renomat, OTOH seems to accomplish the task with very little product and effort. Renomat also seems to leave the leather in better condition after the polish is removed and it takes very little product.
So in this case (Lexol cleaner vs. saphir Renomat) Renomat may be a more economical option in terms of time and effort, and maybe even price.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post


I agree. Renomat is much faster and easier to use, but it also seems to dry out the leather more than the Lexol cleaner. I have moved from using Lexol cleaner to using Renomat in most cases, and I just use a little more Lexol leather conditioner when I'm done with the cleaning process.

 I have a same experience with Lexol. Really need much effort to remove all the Polish in the Shoes. It's ok to remove about 1 or 2 layer of wax, but I have a problem when I want to remove entire Wax in the Mirror Shine part.  There's still quite thick of polish after applying Lexol. Btw, in Indonesia there's a local Brand of Shoe Care called Cololite. They produce a Leather Cleaner too, in paste not liquid like Lexol

 

The ability of Cololite to remove Wax is awesome compared to Lexol. It's feels like entire wax melt when Cololite is applied. But Same like glenjay, it dries out the Leather as hell. It feels like no moisture left on the shoes. Maybe this is the characteristics of this kind of cleaner. I use both, of course for different purpose

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**