or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 173

post #2581 of 10232

Had to do some work on my shoes this morning before church so I figured I'd take a couple of before and after pics. AE Macneil and AE Leeds in burgundy shell.

 

The Macneil have been without any care for a couple of months now. They typically get about one wear a week and two trips in which they were the only dress shoe I brought. On those trips they may get two to three consecutive days of wear. I use shoe trees in them overnight but I like to pack light.

 

Before:

 

DSC_1161.jpg

 

After:

 

DSC_1168.jpg

 

DSC_1177.jpg

 

I cleaned with a damp cloth, applied a coat of renovateur, a light application of wax and a good 5 min of brushing. I just love how well shell comes back with such little effort.

 

I hit the Leeds with a coat of Renovateur as well but they didn't look that badly to start. No before pic.

 

DSC_1185.jpg

post #2582 of 10232
Looks Great.
post #2583 of 10232
I think my C&J Belgraves need to be resoled. Am I right? What are my options? Is it worth it to ship back to the UK for C&J to recraft it? Who do I contact?



It feels soft where my finger is.


Given the wear on the toe, I'm thinking that flush metal toe taps would be a good option?

I also just realized that my beater Alden shoes have gotten a hole in the sole. Has this caused any permanent wear on the shoes or am I fine? I don't care about these as much, so I'm thinking about just taking it to a local cobbler.

post #2584 of 10232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

I think my C&J Belgraves need to be resoled. Am I right? What are my options? Is it worth it to ship back to the UK for C&J to recraft it? Who do I contact?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700
700
It feels soft where my finger is.
700
700

 


Given the wear on the toe, I'm thinking that flush metal toe taps would be a good option?
I also just realized that my beater Alden shoes have gotten a hole in the sole. Has this caused any permanent wear on the shoes or am I fine? I don't care about these as much, so I'm thinking about just taking it to a local cobbler.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

 

 

On C&J:  New heels @ local cobblers would be enough IMO.  C&J charges $220 for full refurbishment.  B Nelson (no personal experiences) is popular here for resole.

 

On Alden: you are fine.  No permanent damages.  Just need a new sole.

post #2585 of 10232
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

On C&J:  New heels @ local cobblers would be enough IMO.  C&J charges $220 for full refurbishment.  B Nelson (no personal experiences) is popular here for resole.

why new heels? the sole needs attention, imo.
post #2586 of 10232
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

On C&J:  New heels @ local cobblers would be enough IMO.  C&J charges $220 for full refurbishment.  B Nelson (no personal experiences) is popular here for resole.

On Alden: you are fine.  No permanent damages.  Just need a new sole.

I'm also curious why you don't think the Belgraves need a resole yet. I will contact B Nelson.

I've read that a benefit of a C&J factory resole is that it can be done on the same last. Can someone explain what this means? Does it mean that the shape of the shoe will be somehow different were I to get B Nelson or any other cobbler to do it?
post #2587 of 10232
Liquidus on an unrelated note, those Carmina chelsea boots in your avatar are stunning!

When a shoe is recrafted, there may be a benefit to having the original/OEM last. However for a simple re-sole, I don't think the benefit is as significant (especially if you are working with an experienced and reputable cobbler like B. Nelson).
post #2588 of 10232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

I think my C&J Belgraves need to be resoled. Am I right? What are my options? Is it worth it to ship back to the UK for C&J to recraft it? Who do I contact?

Ha. To say that your shoes need to be resoled is an understatement! They should have been resoled a year ago.

I just had a pair of shoes resoled by B. Nelsons. You can read about it here: http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/blog/dress-shoe-sole-replacement/

I was pretty happy. The high-end JR soles cost about $150 all-in. Great quality and much quicker turn-around than if you sent them back to the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

I'm also curious why you don't think the Belgraves need a resole yet. I will contact B Nelson.
I've read that a benefit of a C&J factory resole is that it can be done on the same last. Can someone explain what this means? Does it mean that the shape of the shoe will be somehow different were I to get B Nelson or any other cobbler to do it?

This just means that when shoe is re-stretched over the original last during the re-soling processing, which helps restore the shape of the shoe. I've never done a double-blind test between factory recrafting and someone like Nick, so I really can't speak to the difference. Anyone else there have experience?

I know that I was pretty happy with Nick's job. He's pretty thorough.

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
post #2589 of 10232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post


I'm also curious why you don't think the Belgraves need a resole yet. I will contact B Nelson.
I've read that a benefit of a C&J factory resole is that it can be done on the same last. Can someone explain what this means? Does it mean that the shape of the shoe will be somehow different were I to get B Nelson or any other cobbler to do it?

 

My mistake.  Those Belgraves need a resole.  The soft spot in the center of the sole is okay, but the tip of the shoes have been worn to the welt.  Ask for flushed metal toe tap when you resole so they will last longer.

 

The shape of the shoes will remain mostly the same.  @ C&J factory refurbishment service, they put new soles, heels and interior refurbishment.  They will go as far as lasting the shoes again to 1/2 size smaller or stretch the shoes out.

post #2590 of 10232
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Liquidus on an unrelated note, those Carmina chelsea boots in your avatar are stunning!
When a shoe is recrafted, there may be a benefit to having the original/OEM last. However for a simple re-sole, I don't think the benefit is as significant (especially if you are working with an experienced and reputable cobbler like B. Nelson).

Thanks but I have yet to own them. They're the Rain last Chelsea available from Epaulet or Carmina direct.
post #2591 of 10232
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

My mistake.  Those Belgraves need a resole.  The soft spot in the center of the sole is okay, but the tip of the shoes have been worn to the welt.  Ask for flushed metal toe tap when you resole so they will last longer.

The shape of the shoes will remain mostly the same.  @ C&J factory refurbishment service, they put new soles, heels and interior refurbishment.  They will go as far as lasting the shoes again to 1/2 size smaller or stretch the shoes out.

no, it is not, dang. this is the critical point. please ask nick, please!!!

the resole is the difficult part of the operation. the tip can be done by any mall cobbler. any metal or rubber, either plastic toe protection will do. flushed is nice to have, though.

the heels on this shoe show no wear. why replace them, why??? it's not logical, right?

i really would like to ask you to do your homework before you make your general statements.

reducing the size is not such an easy task, when you don't have the measurements. only because a layman tells you what he thinks no serious craftsman will touch the shape of a shoe. i really doubt this.

anyway. good luck to the questioner.
post #2592 of 10232

this is my first post in the forum so i want to say a big hallo to everyone!! i am reading this forum for about 4 months and i have to say it is really great!! sorry for my english i ll try to do my best!!

here is some pic of the brushes -wax's-cream -cloths and whatever i use to take care of my shoes!

1000400

 

 

 

post #2593 of 10232

here is some "before-after" pic's :

 

before:

400400400

 

after and trying to give them an antique effect:

400400400

400

 

and here is some pics of my other shoes:

these black boots are just polished! i have them for 10years now and i wear them about 5-6 times a month

700

 

 

here is a pic of my brown antiqued derby shoes with a mirror shine at the front :

700

 

700

 

 

and finaly my driving suede shoes , suede brogues both waterproofed and my army boots :

400400400

 

feel free to ask anything!! smile.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2594 of 10232
Great first post, Welcome.

Why does the back of the shoe look like this?



Is it because you have polished it a lot?
post #2595 of 10232

Hello everyone. Received my first pair of Sutor's a couple weeks ago and noticed some creasing and was wondering if this type of creasing is normal? (This is after a couple wears with polishing/renovateur)

 

1000

1000

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**