or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1252

post #18766 of 19067
Any advice on what to to do with paint chipping in my exposed metal eyelets?
post #18767 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post
 

Worthwhile to get special trees for boots or should I just continue using the standard cedar shoe trees?  Alden Indys and a cap toe pair of Aldens (TSM Bootmaker edition), for what its worth.

 

I use the Woodlore Epic trees  - they work great.  If you're patient you can usually get them from Massdrop for a good price (about $40 for 2 pairs delivered)

post #18768 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbe View Post

Any advice on what to to do with paint chipping in my exposed metal eyelets?
I accidentally stripped the paint from my eyelets when refinishing a pair of shoes. They were Red Wings, and my local RW store replaced them with brass eyelets for me.
post #18769 of 19067
For me no such luck as they are Alden. I think replacing the eyelets would be a little too costly.
post #18770 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbe View Post

For me no such luck as they are Alden. I think replacing the eyelets would be a little too costly.
My local RW store didn't charge me a dime.
post #18771 of 19067
Here in Canada, no RW, plus they aren't RW, they are Alden's. I don't see why they would change them for me when they aren't even the same brand
post #18772 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbe View Post

Here in Canada, no RW, plus they aren't RW, they are Alden's. I don't see why they would change them for me when they aren't even the same brand
Sorry. I should have been more clear in what I was trying to say:
It wasn't a difficult job for them. Even if they had charged me, it would not have been very expensive.
So I'm just trying to say that replacing the eyelets may be a reasonably priced option.
post #18773 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbe View Post

Any advice on what to to do with paint chipping in my exposed metal eyelets?

Use fingernail polish. Carefully apply. Two coats should do it.
post #18774 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post

Use fingernail polish. Carefully apply. Two coats should do it.

Thanks was also hear Enamel paint might work. I'm guessing it's better to go over all of the eyelets even the ones that aren't chip to ensure they look uniform ?
post #18775 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbe View Post


Thanks was also hear Enamel paint might work. I'm guessing it's better to go over all of the eyelets even the ones that aren't chip to ensure they look uniform ?

Enamel will work but wont last as long as the finger nail polish !!! Preferably use the semi permanent nail polish but you ll need a uv light to make it polymerize ( a lot tougher than both of the previous , i have used all of them due to scale modeling)

post #18776 of 19067

From what I know (there have been previous posts on the topic), Alden puts acrylic on the Shell to give it a high gloss. By using the deer bone, you are likely removing the glossy acrylic. I have never used a deer bone but along with the oils it has, I believe its like using a ultra fine grit sandpaper on the leather. The Shell is likely fine. I would do both boots. You don't need the acrylic. 

post #18777 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchaplow View Post

b700ae014db3d83864ff66681f13bf29.jpg
It may be hard to discern in the pic. I went over the upper portion(everything except the front toe and vamp) of the left boot with a deer bone, then brushed and buffed. The deer boned portion is now slightly dull. I have buffed repeatedly trying to get the shine back to no avail. These are new boots and I couldn't resist messing with them. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

From what I know (there have been previous posts on the topic), Alden puts acrylic on the Shell to give it a high gloss. By using the deer bone, you are likely removing the glossy acrylic. I have never used a deer bone but along with the oils it has, I believe its like using a ultra fine grit sandpaper on the leather. The Shell is likely fine. I would do both boots. You don't need the acrylic. 

post #18778 of 19067
Also those deer bones are coated in some sort of oil. It could be the oil giving the matte appearance. The deer bone thing is bullshit really. It is only good for smoothing bumps, and cuts, and swells due to water penetration in the fibers. Also, you can use anything smooth to do the same thing.
post #18779 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhour View Post

Enamel will work but wont last as long as the finger nail polish !!! Preferably use the semi permanent nail polish but you ll need a uv light to make it polymerize ( a lot tougher than both of the previous , i have used all of them due to scale modeling)

Thanks I will look into that
post #18780 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidVC View Post
 

From what I know (there have been previous posts on the topic), Alden puts acrylic on the Shell to give it a high gloss. By using the deer bone, you are likely removing the glossy acrylic. I have never used a deer bone but along with the oils it has, I believe its like using a ultra fine grit sandpaper on the leather. The Shell is likely fine. I would do both boots. You don't need the acrylic. 

 

Alden puts acrylic on the surface?  Isn't that basically the "corrected grain" process they use on low grade calf skin?

 

Do the other manufacturers do this on shell cordovan?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**