or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1240

post #18586 of 19044

Hi

 

 

Just wondering what you guys use to keep all your shoe paraphanalia in?, brushes,creams,waxes etc etc.

 

 

I've recently purchased the following items

 

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDEN-TRADING-Shoe-Shine-Box-Tin-With-Lid-In-Chalk-/252467289008?hash=item3ac8391bb0:g:6LcAAOSwNSxU2KpU

 

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDEN-TRADING-Shoe-Shine-Box-Tin-Trug-In-Chalk-/252467247806?hash=item3ac8387abe:g:JmEAAOSwwIZXTZC9

 

 

 

I store both of these items in a plastic tote box with wheels, which keeps all items stored together and readily available for use.

 

Both the ebay items are for sale direct from the Garden Trading web site but both are priced at £28 each and only £16.95 on ebay!

 

 

 

Carl.

post #18587 of 19044
Me being a miser, I just use old shoe boxes 😂
post #18588 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1955 View Post

Hi



Just wondering what you guys use to keep all your shoe paraphanalia in?, brushes,creams,waxes etc etc.



I've recently purchased the following items


http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDEN-TRADING-Shoe-Shine-Box-Tin-With-Lid-In-Chalk-/252467289008?hash=item3ac8391bb0:g:6LcAAOSwNSxU2KpU



http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDEN-TRADING-Shoe-Shine-Box-Tin-Trug-In-Chalk-/252467247806?hash=item3ac8387abe:g:JmEAAOSwwIZXTZC9



I store both of these items in a plastic tote box with wheels, which keeps all items stored together and readily available for use.



Both the ebay items are for sale direct from the Garden Trading web site but both are priced at £28 each and only £16.95 on ebay!



Carl.

 



I just use one basket for products and one for cloths, with a small open-topped box in the "product" basket for brushes. Occasionally I think about buying or building an old-school footrest with the bars to run a cloth through for buffing, but I'm not really a high-shine guy anyway...
post #18589 of 19044

I use three shoe boxes, stacked together. One has all my polishes and creams; one has all my cloths and the other has my brushes for buffing up when applying cream to different coloured shoes. I put brushes that I use every day, for dusting off, on top. One for red, one for green, one for tan, one for brown and one for general use. The 'dusting off' brushes are the ones that get used most regularly, so they are always to hand. Can my OCD get much worse? I also admit to having a plastic, 'sealed' box which contains all the polishes that I have bought over the years but have never really used. 

post #18590 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1955 View Post

Just wondering what you guys use to keep all your shoe paraphanalia in?, brushes,creams,waxes etc etc.

There was a good thread on this a couple of years ago:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/394229/what-is-your-shoe-shine-kit-like/0_30

The best thing from that thread is that we learned of a pretty great clearance deal at that time on Gerstner chests and kits. Unfortunately soon after that thread Gerstner basically doubled their prices, which were fairly high to begin with. I blame SF as everyone cleared out their factory seconds. wink.gif

It still is an amazing kit for shoe paraphanalia, and the construction and hardware is fantastic, but the current price is pretty ridiculous just to hold shoe stuff.





Some much less expensive alternatives, like the one @dieworkwear posted in that previous thread for only $29, are much more reasonably priced if you like that style.
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Alternatives-Wood-Supply-Chest/dp/B000AIF174

post #18591 of 19044

Interestingly, I have that Amazon chest, though I came by it a few years ago. It works ok for a shine kit, thought its dimensions arent ideal for the purpose. I guess thats what you get for spending 5% of the Gerstner's price tag...

post #18592 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post


There was a good thread on this a couple of years ago:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/394229/what-is-your-shoe-shine-kit-like/0_30

The best thing from that thread is that we learned of a pretty great clearance deal at that time on Gerstner chests and kits. Unfortunately soon after that thread Gerstner basically doubled their prices, which were fairly high to begin with. I blame SF as everyone cleared out their factory seconds. wink.gif

It still is an amazing kit for shoe paraphanalia, and the construction and hardware is fantastic, but the current price is pretty ridiculous just to hold shoe stuff.





Some much less expensive alternatives, like the one @dieworkwear posted in that previous thread for only $29, are much more reasonably priced if you like that style.
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Alternatives-Wood-Supply-Chest/dp/B000AIF174

 

Let's not get carried away, guys, huh? :)

post #18593 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 
 
I just use one basket for products and one for cloths, with a small open-topped box in the "product" basket for brushes. Occasionally I think about buying or building an old-school footrest with the bars to run a cloth through for buffing, but I'm not really a high-shine guy anyway...

 

I would love to have a old-school footrest with the bars for the cloth to run through. Where can i get one? Would be a nice addition for my office. 

post #18594 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post

 

I would love to have a old-school footrest with the bars for the cloth to run through. Where can i get one? Would be a nice addition for my office. 

 



There were a fair number on ebay and Etsy like this one a while back when I was thinking about making my own station
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Primitive-Cast-Iron-Star-Shoe-Shiners-Foot-Rest-Wood-Block-w-Side-Rails-/252439909633?hash=item3ac6975501:g:3SYAAOSweW5Vf4iL
post #18595 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
 

 

I would love to have a old-school footrest with the bars for the cloth to run through. Where can i get one? Would be a nice addition for my office. 

 



There were a fair number on ebay and Etsy like this one a while back when I was thinking about making my own station
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Primitive-Cast-Iron-Star-Shoe-Shiners-Foot-Rest-Wood-Block-w-Side-Rails-/252439909633?hash=item3ac6975501:g:3SYAAOSweW5Vf4iL

 

This is nice, but i am looking for the wooden box types which can handle a cloth running through which allows for a quick shine by pulling the cloth at both ends.

post #18596 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post

 

This is nice, but i am looking for the wooden box types which can handle a cloth running through which allows for a quick shine by pulling the cloth at both ends.

 



That is exactly what that is - you run the cloth under the bars on either side but over your shoe and pull back and forth. The bars ensure you get some force/friction on the shoe to really make the wax shine.
post #18597 of 19044
post #18598 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post

This is what i am looking for..



 



http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-Niffty-Shoe-Shine-Box/

 



Pretty sure I saw those on etsy and ebay too. I thought the cast-iron one was cool...
post #18599 of 19044

I don't think that I have had so much excitement in such a short space of time!   :lurk:

post #18600 of 19044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

I don't think that I have had so much excitement in such a short space of time!   :lurk:

Munky, you need to get out more!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**