Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 5:24 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 2/20/17 at 5:54pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 9:42 am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 2/21/17 at 6:34pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1224post #18347 of 196245/24/16 at 5:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by mreams99
I've decided to give the navy shoe dying experiment a try. I ordered the dye and will hopefully get a chance to do this over the weekend. Here is what I'm starting with: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You may want to try that thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/45530/shoe-antiquing it contains a lot of useful tips about dyeing shoes.post #18348 of 196245/25/16 at 3:43ampost #18349 of 196245/25/16 at 10:43amQuote:
Hermes red would give a reddish tone on top off the preexisting tan-light brown!! the mahogany not so much! (generally dont expect to change the color only by using a paste polish )post #18350 of 196245/25/16 at 11:46ampost #18351 of 196245/25/16 at 1:20pmpost #18352 of 196245/25/16 at 11:51pmpost #18353 of 196245/26/16 at 8:24ampost #18354 of 196245/26/16 at 8:36amQuote:
I usually order double leather soles (to make the sole thicker and the boot/shoe higher) with an applied thin rubber protective sole.
In Europe we usually always make a composite leather/rubber sole (except for shoes used only for gala evenings). I have knee high black leather boots (winter, for under the trouser) made in the same way; leather sole for comfort plus a rubber layer for protecting the leather and add grip.post #18355 of 196245/26/16 at 8:38amQuote:
The Vibram Christy was popular many years ago. It sort of disappeared for a while. Now I'm getting many requests for it. Looks like it's back in style again:
https://leffot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSC_00171.jpgpost #18356 of 196245/26/16 at 8:50amQuote:
Thanks for the high resolution photo.
Popular or nice looking are usually two different concepts; I understand that many use shoes (ruined jeans, etc.) thinking they'll turn heads. Well, considering the history modern times are still rather "normal"; In the 1.300 (700 years ago) laws were made to limit the spread of long peaked shoes; if you look how unpractical and ugly the poulanes were,... I doubt anyone in these days would put that on his footpost #18357 of 196245/26/16 at 4:26pmIt depends what you want to do with your boot. If you want to use it for outdoor wear, you want max comfort, or want more traction, that wedge sole is fine. If you want a more formal boot for say business casual office wear, leather sole all the way.
I have leather soles, wedge soles, nitrile cork soles, lug soles all on multiple pairs of boots and shoes. In my opinion wedge is best for comfort. Middle of the road for traction (leather is worse, lug is best). Wedge doesn't collect/hold mud and snow like a lug so if you are going indoor and outdoor alot for some reason the wedge is good for that too (not tracking mud everywhere when inside). Looks are subjective, but leather soles are definitely more dressy and formal.
This is all subjective and opinions may vary.
I personally like the way that boot looks and I would use that sole for outdoor wear if that was how I knew the boot would be used.post #18358 of 196245/26/16 at 5:47pmpost #18359 of 196245/27/16 at 1:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Nikolaus
Thanks for the high resolution photo.
Popular or nice looking are usually two different concepts; I understand that many use shoes (ruined jeans, etc.) thinking they'll turn heads. Well, considering the history modern times are still rather "normal"; In the 1.300 (700 years ago) laws were made to limit the spread of long peaked shoes; if you look how unpractical and ugly the poulanes were,... I doubt anyone in these days would put that on his foot
With the greatest of respect, I’m not sure someone who wears knee high boots is in a position to be lecturing people on “popularity V nice looking” footwear.
As Captain Insano correctly states this is a subjective matter although I think I’d rather be seen in the above vibram sole boots rather than like this…..
Edited by PParker ESQ - 5/27/16 at 2:11ampost #18360 of 196245/27/16 at 1:43am
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › RRL FW16 cotton jersey blue/black plaid shirt. Size Medium. 1 minute ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 2 minutes ago
- › RRL indigo herringbone heavy cotton button down shirt. Size Medium 3 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 3 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 5 minutes ago
- › Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) 7 minutes ago
- › *** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit *** 9 minutes ago
- › Patagonia 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...