or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1223

post #18331 of 19038
Hello,
Realize it is a while ago that you posted the photo of the shoes with the metal quarter tips, but am glad that you did, and that you don't find
the sound they make annoying like some men. They should sound nice and solid it seems.

Blake
post #18332 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

I am considering changing a pair of tan colored shoes to navy, and could use some advice. I have dyed shoes before, but never navy. In fact, the only time I've used navy dye in the past was as a base coat prior to black.
After stripping the old polish, I'm wondering if I should use some leather bleach prior to dyeing them. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Does anyone have experience dying shoes to a navy color?
post #18333 of 19038

Patina on shoes is an interesting thing. With your best shoes, you keep them polished and allow them to 'age' a little and try to avoid scratches of any sort. With waxy leather shoes you do little to them and hope they get scuffed! Polar Patina. 

post #18334 of 19038

Tried out the "burn shine" method, using a pair of inexpensive shoes just in case it damaged the leather. 

 

Before:

 

 

 

After:

post #18335 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

Does anyone have experience dying shoes to a navy color?

I tried it but they came out darker than I would have liked. I've never heard of leather bleach but it sounds like it would help. My issue was two-fold. I started with a darker pair and could not get them lighter to begin with. Though the color was lighter than navy, starting with tan would have made the effort easier. If I try again, I would start with a light blue dye and mix in navy. I think navy dye is too close to black. I will a similar technique when trying to replicate Aldens color 8.
post #18336 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post


Does anyone have experience dying shoes to a navy color?

I would say the main issue is you're not working with a plain flat piece of leather, therefore the uniformity of the paintwork is going to be "antique" at best. With chestnut colours okay, with navy blue? 

You have to add that the shoe is already coloured and being too aggressive with "bleaching" might change the surface of the leather.

post #18337 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 

 

... an early (stripping) step in renovating a shoe.  

Renomat = Stripper for removing all the polish/wax/etc. before you start over.  Rare use.

Renovateur = Maintenance/conditioning.  Regular (though infrequent) use.

Thanks :D 

renovate -  to restore to a former better state.

(as for product names, it can be called Napalm as far as it concerns me, the important thing is it works; I find the liquid version, the "Lotion", actually easier to use)

post #18338 of 19038

Excuse me. Today, for the first time, I saw a pair of Bass Weejun loafers, here in the UK. I know that they are something of an iconic brand in the US. Clearly corrected grain but they look very well made and the pair I looked at was a wonderful mid brown colour. At £120 they look to be the ideal things to knock about in, in the summer. I appreciate  that they won't put John Lobb out of business,  but does anyone have anything positive to say about BW's? Yours truly, Munky.

post #18339 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

Excuse me. Today, for the first time, I saw a pair of Bass Weejun loafers, here in the UK. I know that they are something of an iconic brand in the US. Clearly corrected grain but they look very well made and the pair I looked at was a wonderful mid brown colour. At £120 they look to be the ideal things to knock about in, in the summer. I appreciate  that they won't put John Lobb out of business,  but does anyone have anything positive to say about BW's? Yours truly, Munky.

I've generally found present-day Bass Weejuns to be crap - very flimsy, shellacked, etc. That being said, I have a pair from their Mr. Porter capsule collection which are a great pair of shoes - Horween CXL, solid, leather sole, machine-stitching, I'm pretty sure, but still a great shoe. Sadly, I'm selling them because they've proven too large after stretch. I'd love to grab another pair in my size but that collection is all but extinct. I'd assume their heritage line may be similar in quality and have been considering buying a pair, but the price is never right for me.

Bass Weejuns x Mr. Porter Logan Penny Loafer, Burgundy, 12D (11UK)
started on 05/07/16 0 replies 95 views
post #18340 of 19038
Hi Guys:

Allen Edmonds. Fell on the side walk and scraped the toe on these shoes. Unfortunately the scraped area will no longer take shoe polish. I tried Allen Edmonds paste polish, hard polishes, etc. Nothing will cover this up. Is this something a shoe cobbler can fix?


post #18341 of 19038
That's strange. Have you tried shoe creams as they contain more pigments? I had similar experience (though not AE) and a bit of shoe cream followed by shoe wax did the job nicely.
post #18342 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorishconsumer View Post


I've generally found present-day Bass Weejuns to be crap - very flimsy, shellacked, etc. That being said, I have a pair from their Mr. Porter capsule collection which are a great pair of shoes - Horween CXL, solid, leather sole, machine-stitching, I'm pretty sure, but still a great shoe. Sadly, I'm selling them because they've proven too large after stretch. I'd love to grab another pair in my size but that collection is all but extinct. I'd assume their heritage line may be similar in quality and have been considering buying a pair, but the price is never right for me.
 
Bass Weejuns x Mr. Porter Logan Penny Loafer, Burgundy, 12D (11UK)
started on 05/07/16 0 replies 95 views

 

Thanks for this, Whor. I took Mrs Munky to see them, today and she hated them. Seems like I ain't going to own a pair of Weejun's any time soon. 

post #18343 of 19038
Saved by the bell. Or more like the lack thereof.
post #18344 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa View Post

Hi Guys:

Allen Edmonds. Fell on the side walk and scraped the toe on these shoes. Unfortunately the scraped area will no longer take shoe polish. I tried Allen Edmonds paste polish, hard polishes, etc. Nothing will cover this up. Is this something a shoe cobbler can fix?


Yes. This looks fixable. I'm not sure why it's not working for you, but a cobbler could definitely fix that.
post #18345 of 19038
I've decided to give the navy shoe dying experiment a try. I ordered the dye and will hopefully get a chance to do this over the weekend. Here is what I'm starting with:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**