or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1216

post #18226 of 19043

hahahaha, Steve those creases are beautiful in a pair of good shoes, so not to worry unless you want to stuff them every week. I mainly brush my shoes (much more creases than yours) and use conditioner once or twice a year (Lexol or B4 in my case), depending on how much wear.  Once a year or so I use slightly a colour wax polish with high concentrations of pigments.  Currently I just use my Renovateur/Cremme Universelle for the welt and shoe edges.  But that is my way, I do not like shiny shoes but rather shoes in good health and not stuffed and you have a good rotation of shoes too, so ....:)

 

PS.-I have also Renomat but never had to use it...yet.

post #18227 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post
 

hahahaha, Steve those creases are beautiful in a pair of good shoes, so not to worry unless you want to stuff them every week. I mainly brush my shoes (much more creases than yours) and use conditioner once or twice a year (Lexol or B4 in my case), depending on how much wear.  Once a year or so I use slightly a colour wax polish with high concentrations of pigments.  Currently I just use my Renovateur/Cremme Universelle for the welt and shoe edges.  But that is my way, I do not like shiny shoes but rather shoes in good health and not stuffed and you have a good rotation of shoes too, so ....:)

 

PS.-I have also Renomat but never had to use it...yet.

 

That is very reassuring and informative thank you. I was mainly concerned about the lightening at the creases however, I have grown to ​like them and accept them as part of the character of the shoe.

 

Looks as though I need a good leather conditioner (I wrongly assumed Renovateur was) with my next order of shoe products.

 

Lexol or B(ick?)4 would mean a separate order to the suede and reptan products I need so would you say this would do the same job?

 

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/search?type=product&q=saphir+lotion

 

Thank you for your help.

post #18228 of 19043

Lexol and Bick 4 are almost the same IME.  Get the cheapest one you can.  You are most wellcome.

post #18229 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
 

Personally I use more conditioner than polish as well. However I don't use Renovateur because I find that it is more harsh than other things that are just conditioners. If I don't need to add color or spit shining isn't desired then I use conditioner.

 

Oddly enough, I was going to post something on this issue, this morning. For all my shoes I usually just use brushing and the occasional application of shoe cream. A few days ago, I decided that my Mid Brown, Loake Buckinghams looked a bit dry and that I would use some Renovateur on them. 

 

I put a small amount on and left them to 'dry' for about 4 hours. Then I gave them a good brushing...but, as our colleague, above, notes, I found that the spider creases across the vamps contained a white colouring. So far, no more brushing has got rid of the white. I am not sure whether to leave them as they are (you have to be pretty close to the shoes to notice the issue) or to use Lexol on them. Not a big issue, but a slightly irritating one. 

post #18230 of 19043
For the life of me I could never understand why some insist on letting polishes and or conditioners dry.....
All you are doing is complicating what should be a simple task. The longer you leave those products to dry the more likely it is that they will "set". Once that happens it's much more difficult to remove the residue from (esp) small creases.
post #18231 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post

For the life of me I could never understand why some insist on letting polishes and or conditioners dry.....
All you are doing is complicating what should be a simple task. The longer you leave those products to dry the more likely it is that they will "set". Once that happens it's much more difficult to remove the residue from (esp) small creases.

 

I'm with you - I was only scanning, but when I saw Reno described as "harsh" my brow furrowed a bit.  I've found it the exact opposite - scratches in my leather coat, my left-in-the-elements deerskin glove (one made it in with the kids and one didn't...) and several other uses were vastly improved by Saphir Reno.  In both of those situations I'd used Bick 4 first and saw minimal improvement.

 

I rub it in thoroughly - no excess is showing - wait a few minutes and then brush.  I haven't seen any issues with excess/white material in creases or anywhere else, though I'm very careful how much product I'm using near broguing/foxing/perfing/pinking/etc.

 

I really like the stuff a lot...

post #18232 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post

For the life of me I could never understand why some insist on letting polishes and or conditioners dry.....
All you are doing is complicating what should be a simple task. The longer you leave those products to dry the more likely it is that they will "set". Once that happens it's much more difficult to remove the residue from (esp) small creases.

Well for one, the instructions on the jar of Saphir says to wait 3-5 minutes.

Rationalizing the wait time, the cream/conditioner needs enough time to dry because it has solvent that needs to evaporate. Cream is really good at filling in small scratches because the wax from the cream deposits down in those scratches. Should not enough solvent evaporate, the brushing would likely pick up more wax/solvent and spread it around then actually buffing the wax that's then deposited on the shoe. I'd relate this to something like a "critical concentration" of solvent/wax left on the shoe that facilitates the best buffing and thus shine.

I agree that letting a cream/conditioner sit for longer than the recommended time can be disastrous. Further, the more cream you use on a given spot, the longer it needs to dry, which lends itself to unsightly staining and buildup.

A case of "less is more" in my opinion.
post #18233 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post

For the life of me I could never understand why some insist on letting polishes and or conditioners dry.....
All you are doing is complicating what should be a simple task. The longer you leave those products to dry the more likely it is that they will "set". Once that happens it's much more difficult to remove the residue from (esp) small creases.

 Yes, you are right, Nick; I should have known better although I am optimistic about getting them back to normal!   

post #18234 of 19043

hey guys, do your shoes usually smell for a bit after you polish? Does anyone have a trick to minimalize it?

post #18235 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrizzy View Post
 

hey guys, do your shoes usually smell for a bit after you polish? Does anyone have a trick to minimalize it?

 

Well that depends on what you mean by "smell", if you mean of polish etc then yes of course, and whats wrong with the fresh smell of polish? If however you mean something a little more insidious then may I suggest washing your feet...

post #18236 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by PParker ESQ View Post
 

 

Well that depends on what you mean by "smell", if you mean of polish etc then yes of course, and whats wrong with the fresh smell of polish? If however you mean something a little more insidious then may I suggest washing your feet...


I love the smell of fresh Saphir in the morning....smells like victory.

post #18237 of 19043
Yeah, saphir, I feel its a bit strong and im getting whiffs when I wear them. Is that typical?
post #18238 of 19043

I have leather laces for leather boots similar to these with no grommets, just punched holes... How do you lace them? Is there a trick? Because without something solid on the end of the lace, I can't seem to get the lace through the holes.... can someone help?

 

Aza

post #18239 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruester View Post
 

I have leather laces for leather boots similar to these with no grommets, just punched holes... How do you lace them? Is there a trick? Because without something solid on the end of the lace, I can't seem to get the lace through the holes.... can someone help?

 

Aza

 

This is incredibly easy to fix, simply get a needle or pin and poke it into the end of the lace, this will give you enough rigidity to tease the end through the hole.

post #18240 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrizzy View Post

Yeah, saphir, I feel its a bit strong and im getting whiffs when I wear them. Is that typical?

I'm wondering if you're using too much of it and whether you're using it too often... (or both)

As a comparison, i treated my years-old lambskin leather coat with Saphir and there is no smell after hanging for a couple days (meaning i just didn't need to wear it for that long after treatment).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**