or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1210

post #18136 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspiral View Post

Hi,

This is my first posting here and keen to get involved with shoe repair and care and get some feedback on my efforts.  I have a lovely old pair of walking boots that have been maltreated (by yours truly I admit) for hard hill walking and decorating.  Rather than throwing these out, I thought it would be a good project to renovate them.  There are three serious problems with these boots;

1) There are really deep and broad scuffs which have taken off the layers of finish and it's back to the raw leather.
2) There's splashes of dried paint on them.
3) There are some cracks as a result of the leather drying in a couple of places and there are a few cuts.

I've done a bit research and reading (mainly here and on ShoeSnob) and have come to formulate the following procedure for bringing these boots back to life;

1) Use rubbing alchohol and/or acetone to get the paint off.  May need to use a mild abrasive to rub the paint off, e.g. a green scratcher.  (I have softer less abrasive versions of these (white, grey) which I use for woodwork finishing.)
2) Use Saphir Renomat to strip back the polish and make the boot even in colour.
3) Use a colourant dye to restore the colour.
4) Use a leather cream to soften the cracks and scratches.
5) Wax polish.

Have I missed anything?  Is there something more I could do for the scuffs and scratches apart from leather cream?

Pictures to follow.

Thanks!
David.









Scrubbing sponge is good. Or you could try sand paper or steel wool to remove the paints. Or use knife to scrap them off.

The deep cuts can be smoothed out with shoe goo and sand paper. Or those saphir gels if you feel like spending money. Use spoons to smooth the filler of your chose.
post #18137 of 19061

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble getting that perfect mirror shine on my new AE shoes and I'm seeking your advice.

 

Supplies:

Saphir Medaille D'or 1925 Pate De Luxe Black 50ml Wax Shoe Polish

Cotton polishing cloth

Allen Edmonds Strand shoes, black

 

Technique:

Tiny dab of polish on cotton cloth, tiny drop of spit, gentle circular motion on the toe cap for about 30 seconds. Then I breathe on the toe cap to form condensation and proceed with polishing. After ~3 min I add another dab of polish / spit. Polished one of the shoes for about 30 minutes total today with the following result:

 

 

The shoe on the right is polished, left isn't. It's a bit shinier, but nowhere close to the mirror finish. I can see some leather texture on it, which I don't see on photos of shoes shined to mirror perfection. Any tips what I can do to achieve that mirror finish?

post #18138 of 19061

Dear community,

 

I would like to darken my newly purchased piar of Saint Crispin's, as I find the contrast between the burnished toe/heel area and the rest of the shoe to be too drastic.

 

 

Any tips on how this could be accomplished? How about trying it with the Saphir Shoecream?

post #18139 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
 

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble getting that perfect mirror shine on my new AE shoes and I'm seeking your advice.

 

Supplies:

Saphir Medaille D'or 1925 Pate De Luxe Black 50ml Wax Shoe Polish

Cotton polishing cloth

Allen Edmonds Strand shoes, black

 

Technique:

Tiny dab of polish on cotton cloth, tiny drop of spit, gentle circular motion on the toe cap for about 30 seconds. Then I breathe on the toe cap to form condensation and proceed with polishing. After ~3 min I add another dab of polish / spit. Polished one of the shoes for about 30 minutes total today with the following result:

 

 

The shoe on the right is polished, left isn't. It's a bit shinier, but nowhere close to the mirror finish. I can see some leather texture on it, which I don't see on photos of shoes shined to mirror perfection. Any tips what I can do to achieve that mirror finish?

  A responce i gave some time ago to a gentleman asking the same thing!!

  Some general things first!! never try to achieve a mirror shine when the room temperature is over 32-33Co(i dont remember excactly the convertion in Fo) ! the hotter the room the slower the solidification of the wax!the colder the better!idial temperature for me is about 23-26Co! Over 40Co is quite impossible to achieve a proper(at least what i call mirror shine with my stundars) mirror shine and it takes ages!

 

  First you ll take a generous amount of wax on your finger(at this step cotton cloth is far better than micro fiber one) !! apply using circular motion(not too small sircles) ! when you ll feel the surface beeing sticky its time to add some watter (1-2 drops)!! when the water evaporates add one drop and do the same! About after 3-4 times of water dropping step you feel the surface hard and not sticky at all!

 

 Now is the tricky part and the one that seperates the boys from men hahahahah :P !! you add 2 drops  of water(no circles at this point just add the water) and now take a new amount of wax and start circlying over the water!! the water ll start evaporate slowly and wax ll build a better layer and more solid(its the faster way to mirror shine,and i have tried quite everything)!!

 

now you repeate that step till you are satisfied!! always use as less pressure as you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebert View Post
 

Dear community,

 

I would like to darken my newly purchased piar of Saint Crispin's, as I find the contrast between the burnished toe/heel area and the rest of the shoe to be too drastic.

 

 

Any tips on how this could be accomplished? How about trying it with the Saphir Shoecream?

The easier and safer way is by adding layers of dark brown polish to the entire shoe!(1-2 applications ll do the trick and dont overdo it on vamp area)

 

i hope i helped  a little bit gents :happy:

post #18140 of 19061
Thanks, Chogall. Great tips, sir biggrin.gif I can't see any products from Saphir called "gels" - is there another name for them? I found shoe goo and that looks good. I suppose it's flexible glue?
post #18141 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirling View Post

My feet tend to get hot and sweaty with little provocation. Any sort of plast, rubber, or artificial fibers seem exacerbate the problem.

Before you try anything else, try wearing a pair of merino wool socks. Merino wool is an incredible natural material that absorbs sweat and stays dry. I can wear a pair of merino socks for a whole week and they remain beautifully soft and odour free. Merino wicks sweat away from your body allowing you to stay dry and comfortable. I have merino wool base layers for camping that never smell and keep me super warm. Karrimor do a lovely pair of merino wool walking socks which are nice and chunky and will help your feet stay dry and confortable. You might find that your boot shape is bearable if your feet are at least comfy. Finally if you have an aversion to wool or find it irratates your skin, like me, don't worry because merino wool is about a 1,000 times finer than normal wool so wayyyy less stratchy. biggrin.gif
post #18142 of 19061

Thanks, benhour. My room temperature is around 27C. I'll give your method a try, but it's not radically different from what I've been doing. The difference is that every guide I've seen says to use the tiniest amount of polish and you're recommending a "generous" amount :)

 

Update: tried benhour's approach:

 

77F = 25C

 

Generous amount of wax

 

Polished for at least 40-50 minutes while watching TV with some addition of water/polish every now and then. I think the shoe got a little shinier, but still no mirror finish. I wouldn't mind polishing longer if I knew I'm doing the right thing, but from the what I've read, it seems like this amount of polishing is more than enough for a mirror shine.

 

Results: polished shoe on the left

 

 

Any tips?


Edited by Sushi - 4/16/16 at 7:20pm
post #18143 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspiral View Post

Thanks, Chogall. Great tips, sir biggrin.gif I can't see any products from Saphir called "gels" - is there another name for them? I found shoe goo and that looks good. I suppose it's flexible glue?

 

http://www.amazon.com/Saphir-Renovating-Cream-Tube-Brown/dp/B002A980RO/ref=sr_1_18?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1460843280&sr=1-18&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=saphir+shoe+care

 

There are tons of vendors online, from Hanger Project, Wingtip, all the way to UK vendors and eBay and Amazon.  Search for best pricing.

 

This product has tons of color pigments, hardens, can be used to fill minor cracks/cuts. 

 

Shoe goo will also harden to a pliable surface.  Just need to put a but of dye over the repaired area.  Cream works (not as well).  If you have trouble spreading shoe goo, use ice; it doesnt stick to ice but sticks to your fingers and drags to metals.

post #18144 of 19061

Hey Guys! I know some of you will be a little annoyed at my post, but I have read through some of this thread but there is just so much information and I just want a quick response for my specific needs. I am a finance student and have a few pairs of "ok" shoes to the standards of this forum haha. Obviously I do not have a lot to spend on shoes at the moment. I am also starting a paid internship this summer so I would like to fix up what I do own. Just today I actually purchased a pair of Paul Evans Martin wholecut in marrone.

 

The shoes I have are black johnston murphy wing tips, black johnston murphy melton cap toe which I actually purchased on Ebay for about $60.

A brown pair of Aldos and the grey/blueish pair are Steve madden. I would like to know what a quality brush/shoe kit would be that is not too expensive and specifically which brushes I need and if you guys use polishing clothes or just old shirts. I also need polish and other shoe care items. I know Saphir is popular but not sure on the best place to purchase or colors to get (besides black).

 

I am planning on buying the renovator but what about for the suede? Also how do I get stains out of the leather or on the denim material on the blue shoes?

 

From the pictures the problems I have are the Melton cap toes have some scuffs I would like to get out if possible and hopefully prevent in the future. It upsets me that they scuff so easily.

The brown aldos I actually used to wear a lot when I went out and spilled certain beverages on them and now they are stained. If there is a way to fix these up please let me know. The top part is suede. 3rd picture is true to color.

For the grey shoes I think they are some sort of denim material and suede.

 

Basically I would just like a little guidance and list of what to buy and where. I live in Arizona if there is anywhere to buy Saphir products here. For the Paul Evans Marrone color would you buy a specific color of wax or just neutral? Also, should I buy both cream and wax? Cream in specific color and wax in neutral? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #18145 of 19061

Your local shoe/luggage repair cobblers should have everything you need.  They should all carry the stiff and soft brushes, more shoe cream than you could imagine, tons of waxes, lexol conditioner, and all things shoecare related.  Use old T-shirt and skip the expensive 'polishing' clothes.  Or your local Safeway/Rons/supermarket or Rite-Aid/Walgreens/drugstore .  Saphir is not needed. 

 

For conditioning, Lexol conditioner works wonders.  Or Bick4. 

 

To clean fabric shoes, just use laundry detergent diluted with water to wash, rinse them clean, and stuff with newspapers.

 

If you are dead set on spending hundreds to go all Saphir/Collonil/Boot Black/etc, they can be readily found on Amazon, eBay, Hanger Project, Wingtip, etc.  Search engine is your friend.

 

That black shoes scratch will be easily fixed using black wax polish.

post #18146 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post
 

Your local shoe/luggage repair cobblers should have everything you need.  They should all carry the stiff and soft brushes, more shoe cream than you could imagine, tons of waxes, lexol conditioner, and all things shoecare related.  Use old T-shirt and skip the expensive 'polishing' clothes.  Or your local Safeway/Rons/supermarket or Rite-Aid/Walgreens/drugstore .  Saphir is not needed. 

 

For conditioning, Lexol conditioner works wonders.  Or Bick4. 

 

To clean fabric shoes, just use laundry detergent diluted with water to wash, rinse them clean, and stuff with newspapers.

 

If you are dead set on spending hundreds to go all Saphir/Collonil/Boot Black/etc, they can be readily found on Amazon, eBay, Hanger Project, Wingtip, etc.  Search engine is your friend.

 

That black shoes scratch will be easily fixed using black wax polish.

 

Thank you! I am not deadset on Saphir just thought it was the best. Which brand of wax/cream do you suggest?

On cleaning fabric shoes do you just rub the detergent/water mix on them and then rinse?

For the brown shoes what do you suggest for the drink stains on the leather? Do I just use the conditioner and some brown/neutral polish? What can I use to clean the suede and protect it from getting damage in the future?

Lastly, I saw this brush set on amazon and it had good reviews and a good price but not sure I need the daubers since it seems like everyone puts polish on with a rag? http://www.amazon.com/FootFitter-Classic-Shoe-Brush-pieces/dp/B000Q7SVQ2?ie=UTF8&colid=1W9815HAMNL2H&coliid=I358EWTWED2ABE&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

 

Thanks again!

post #18147 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhour View Post

 

[...]

The easier and safer way is by adding layers of dark brown polish to the entire shoe!(1-2 applications ll do the trick and dont overdo it on vamp area)

 

i hope i helped  a little bit gents :happy:

 

Many thanks for the help!

 

So this is what the shoe looks like:

 

 

 

The thing is: I don't want them to get too shiny. Maybe I should just use less water than usual while applying the wax?

 

What colour of the pictures above would you suggest? - I think I should just go with the medium brown in the middle. Do you agree?

post #18148 of 19061

You're probably not going to get much color change using the wax, as they tend to not have tons of pigment in them. You'd get more color change using a dark colored cream (have more pigment generally than wax) and then use a darker colored wax as well over that.

post #18149 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
 

Thanks, benhour. My room temperature is around 27C. I'll give your method a try, but it's not radically different from what I've been doing. The difference is that every guide I've seen says to use the tiniest amount of polish and you're recommending a "generous" amount :)

 

Update: tried benhour's approach:

 

77F = 25C

 

 

Generous amount of wax

 

 

Polished for at least 40-50 minutes while watching TV with some addition of water/polish every now and then. I think the shoe got a little shinier, but still no mirror finish. I wouldn't mind polishing longer if I knew I'm doing the right thing, but from the what I've read, it seems like this amount of polishing is more than enough for a mirror shine.

 

Results: polished shoe on the left

 

 

Any tips?

  Generally you have to know that the amount of polish(applications) you lee need to achieve mirror shine depends :

 

1) the surface of the leather(the smoother the leather the less amount o polish you are going to need)

2) brogues need more application in general because a significant amount of polish ends in the brogueing holes!

3)Dried wax tends to build mirrorshine faster because the absence of solvents(dont destroy your wax for that hahaha)

the amount of polish you are using is ok for the first 1-2 applications after that you have to use a lot less or the solvents ll strip off the previous layers !! try to blow on them when doing the circular motions to cool the wax faster! 

  Most of the time you need about 15-20 for both shoes ( with much practice and experience you can drop time even under 10 )and you ll end with something like :

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebert View Post
 

 

Many thanks for the help!

 

So this is what the shoe looks like:

 

 

The thing is: I don't want them to get too shiny. Maybe I should just use less water than usual while applying the wax?

 

What colour of the pictures above would you suggest? - I think I should just go with the medium brown in the middle. Do you agree?

judging from the photo the finish is sprayed on top with toe to heel direction i can see 3 options!

 

1) use renomat to remove most of the burnishing

2) use cream polish ((not wax)one application of dark brown ll be ok) 

3)dye pair dark brown

 

i would go with 1 or 2!

post #18150 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhour View Post
 

  Generally you have to know that the amount of polish(applications) you lee need to achieve mirror shine depends :

 

1) the surface of the leather(the smoother the leather the less amount o polish you are going to need)

2) brogues need more application in general because a significant amount of polish ends in the brogueing holes!

3)Dried wax tends to build mirrorshine faster because the absence of solvents(dont destroy your wax for that hahaha)

the amount of polish you are using is ok for the first 1-2 applications after that you have to use a lot less or the solvents ll strip off the previous layers !! try to blow on them when doing the circular motions to cool the wax faster! 

  Most of the time you need about 15-20 for both shoes ( with much practice and experience you can drop time even under 10

Thanks, I'll keep polishing with less wax. Beautiful photos! :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**