or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1197

post #17941 of 19058

In your opinion for suede ankle zip up boots, should i get topy or vibram sole protectors? looking for the best quality and doesnt stick out much.

post #17942 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

 

And yet you have not tried boiling and eating a pair yet have you? 

 

Thanks for that, PCK1.  I have often boiled shoes but it didn't occur to me to eat them!  I will try it tonight with some baked beans and chips. Useful info!

post #17943 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderMcMerican View Post

I have 3 pairs of AEs and I have always maintained a high gloss spit shined toe, which takes considerable time to reestablish following stripping of old polish & reconditioning of leather. I love the shoes and am proud of the care I put into my toe shines, but it's gotten to a point where I simply can't keep up with reestablishing a proper spit shined toe (x3) every few weeks. It literally takes several hours just to redo the toes on one pair.

It seems to me that perhaps I can forego stripping and repolishing the parts of the toe where there is no crease, and simply strip/recondition the rest of the shoe on a regular basis. This would allow me to maintain the high shine without wrecking the toe shine it takes me so long to establish/maintain while continuing to reconditio the parts of the shoe that are most stressed, no? Would this practice prove harmful to the toes over time?

 

Personally I think you're stripping back your shoes WAY to much, this is something you only do if completely necessary and I'm talking several months and that's probably too much as well. Every few weeks though!? Take it easy!

post #17944 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronBong View Post
 

In your opinion for suede ankle zip up boots, should i get topy or vibram sole protectors? looking for the best quality and doesnt stick out much.

 

I don't think there is too much difference in aesthetics and both are relatively thin/unobtrusive. Vibram is the slightly nicer product IMO but really there’s not much in it so fill your boots with whichever you personally prefer. 

post #17945 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronBong View Post
 

In your opinion for suede ankle zip up boots, should i get topy or vibram sole protectors? looking for the best quality and doesnt stick out much

I don't have any experience with the topy brand, but I have Vibrams on all 3 pairs of my AEs, and they're great.  They have been on my shoes for months, and there is very little sign of wear on them (I'm sure I would have worn through the leather soles on all three pairs over the same time period).

 

They should not "stick out" because they need to be trimmed with a razor after adhering them to your soles.  They are hardly noticable, and nobody will know/care that you applied half soles to leather soles.  If your super anal, you can bevel the edges a bit when you trim them to make them even less noticeable.

 

I recommend doing them yourself if you like diy projects.  I did all three pairs of mine, and they all came out fine.  All of the necessary materials can be found on Amazon.  There's also a great tutorial website that gives step-by-step instructions on how to diy, and they also sell all necessary materials on that site as well: halfsoles.com

post #17946 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by PParker ESQ View Post
 

 

Personally I think you're stripping back your shoes WAY to much, this is something you only do if completely necessary and I'm talking several months and that's probably too much as well. Every few weeks though!? Take it easy!


Thanks for your input.  I have been doing it every few weeks per recommendation from others (shoe snob blog?.. can't remember), but I agree that it may be overkill.

 

Be that as it may, the original question still stands: Would it be damaging to the non-creasing parts of the toe to forego stripping/re-polishing for an extended period of time?  If so, how long is too long?

post #17947 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderMcMerican View Post
 


Thanks for your input.  I have been doing it every few weeks per recommendation from others (shoe snob blog?.. can't remember), but I agree that it may be overkill.

 

Be that as it may, the original question still stands: Would it be damaging to the non-creasing parts of the toe to forego stripping/re-polishing for an extended period of time?  If so, how long is too long?


Depends on how many pairs of shoes you have; for 5-7 pair rotation once a year deep cleansing might even be excessive.

 

Usually it only takes some polishing with nylon stockings to maintain mirror shine.  And in some cases, a tiny bit of cream/wax to bring it back.  Stripping is definitely not necessary.

post #17948 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderMcMerican View Post

I don't have any experience with the topy brand, but I have Vibrams on all 3 pairs of my AEs, and they're great.  They have been on my shoes for months, and there is very little sign of wear on them (I'm sure I would have worn through the leather soles on all three pairs over the same time period).

They should not "stick out" because they need to be trimmed with a razor after adhering them to your soles.  They are hardly noticable, and nobody will know/care that you applied half soles to leather soles.  If your super anal, you can bevel the edges a bit when you trim them to make them even less noticeable.

I recommend doing them yourself if you like diy projects.  I did all three pairs of mine, and they all came out fine.  All of the necessary materials can be found on Amazon.  There's also a great tutorial website that gives step-by-step instructions on how to diy, and they also sell all necessary materials on that site as well: halfsoles.com

Thanks for sharing the web site. A few things though.....

The can of barge cement in the ordering area says "All Purpose Cement" He keeps saying "rubber cement" in the video. There is a big difference between the two. All purpose will work on sole guards. Rubber cement won't (it's not strong enough).

He used an oil treated leather sole in his demonstration. That's why the mini lug sole de-laminated from the leather sole. The oil actually will repel either cements. It may hold for a short period. Eventually with normal flexing it will come apart.

It's better to use a thin layer of all purpose cement on both sides then putting the cement on liberally.

The amount of pressure he applied by hammering the sole guard on and tying it down is not sufficient for a solid bond.

The sole and sole guard should both be sanded (roughed) in order to create a surface that would allow the cement to adhere properly.
It's more effective if you do this with a sanding machine.
post #17949 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post
 


Depends on how many pairs of shoes you have; for 5-7 pair rotation once a year deep cleansing might even be excessive.

 

Usually it only takes some polishing with nylon stockings to maintain mirror shine.  And in some cases, a tiny bit of cream/wax to bring it back.  Stripping is definitely not necessary.


I have three pairs in my rotation.  I typically wear the two brown pairs twice a week and the black pair once (on Wednesdays).  I like routine.

 

Thanks for your reply re the deep cleansing, but were you referring to the whole shoe or just the toes?  I assume just the toes..  Out of curiosity, and given my three-pair rotation, how often would you recommend stripping polish/reconditioning the rest of the shoe, particularly the creasing areas?

post #17950 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderMcMerican View Post


I have three pairs in my rotation.  I typically wear the two brown pairs twice a week and the black pair once (on Wednesdays).  I like routine.

Thanks for your reply re the deep cleansing, but were you referring to the whole shoe or just the toes?  I assume just the toes..  Out of curiosity, and given my three-pair rotation, how often would you recommend stripping polish/reconditioning the rest of the shoe, particularly the creasing areas?

I rarely strip these days (shoes that is). I may give them a deep clean with a suitable soap and water once a year if needed. Conditioner gets used more frequently (every 6-8 weeks perhaps).
post #17951 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoLiddle View Post


I rarely strip these days (shoes that is). I may give them a deep clean with a suitable soap and water once a year if needed. Conditioner gets used more frequently (every 6-8 weeks perhaps).


Thanks, Bingo.  Yeah, perhaps "strip" wasn't the best term for me to use... I just meant removing all old polish for the purpose of conditioning the leather.  But removing old polish is necessary for the purpose of conditioning, no?  I thought that I read something about the conditioner not being able to do it's job if old polish wasn't removed??

post #17952 of 19058

I presume the discussion is about something like Renomat for stripping shoes. I haven't ever had to 'strip' my shoes and they are all in good condition. I brush them a lot, use cream polish on them, when they need it. On some pairs, I use wax for a great shine. But stripping?  I don't see the need. 

post #17953 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

I presume the discussion is about something like Renomat for stripping shoes. I haven't ever had to 'strip' my shoes and they are all in good condition. I brush them a lot, use cream polish on them, when they need it. On some pairs, I use wax for a great shine. But stripping?  I don't see the need. 

I've never used Renomat. I use the AE cleaner/conditioner and basically wipe down the shoes with that stuff until the old polish is all but gone.

I don't use the cream polishes very often at all. I prefer wax based polishes because of the high luster they yield. I know that creams are better for the leather, and perhaps that's the origin of my paranoia about not stripping old polish to get conditioner into the leather pores.. But based on the discussion so far, I'm assuming that I should be fine if I get conditioner into the leather, say, twice a year?
post #17954 of 19058

i am just setting foot (...lol) into the world of nice leather shoes. my various pairs are black, brown and white, and i also need to take care of the leather seat on my bicycle, and the saphir neutral creme is what the old guy at the local shoe repair store recommended.

 

is there any point me paying another $20 for the renovateur, or is the simple creme enough? obviously i don't want anything that's gonna darken my white sneakers.

post #17955 of 19058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderMcMerican View Post


I've never used Renomat. I use the AE cleaner/conditioner and basically wipe down the shoes with that stuff until the old polish is all but gone.

I don't use the cream polishes very often at all. I prefer wax based polishes because of the high luster they yield. I know that creams are better for the leather, and perhaps that's the origin of my paranoia about not stripping old polish to get conditioner into the leather pores.. But based on the discussion so far, I'm assuming that I should be fine if I get conditioner into the leather, say, twice a year?

 

I'm still not sure why you need to 'wipe down the shoes...until the old polish is all but gone.' I would leave it there!  Using cream polish is probably better than only using wax. Using a conditioner such as Saphir Renovateur won't do any harm about twice a year. Best wishes, Munky

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**