or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1192

post #17866 of 19067

 

Hi all, hoping some for help or direction please. I have these Trickers Grasmere which were used, when I obtained them -  both boots had these black marks at over the toes. They also have similar marks over the ankles.  I was hoping to strip down the polish and see if it might be possible to stripout whatever was causing the marks, so I applied Saphir renomat and this is what I have now:

 

This isn't really the effect I was after! It is as if this area absorbs the renomat but it can't dry (I have left it to dry naturally over night and it remains the same). Gentle abrasion to the area seems to clear the dark patch, but everytime you put any product on it it returns to the picture above.

 

I am wondering now whether I might just dye the boots black, but I much prefer burgundy and is there is any way of fixing this then I would prefer to retain the burgundy?

 

Thanks in advance for any help.

post #17867 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirling View Post
 

I wonder if anybody has ever come across a counterfeit jar of Saphir?

 

I have a jar and I am sure it is mayonnaise. It went well with some salad, though. :tounge:

post #17868 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post

It's not a good price.

My local guy sells Saphir M d'Or cream for $13 a jar. 

Most of us are used to paying $20 per jar, so that's a great price, and is not typical.
post #17869 of 19067

Some of my tins of Saphir wax are all broken inside which makes them difficult to use.

 

Is it possible to re-melt them back into a solid block?  I'm thinking, put the tins in the oven for a short amoun of time.  If melted, would the wax split or seperate?

post #17870 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishShoes View Post
 

Some of my tins of Saphir wax are all broken inside which makes them difficult to use.

 

Is it possible to re-melt them back into a solid block?  I'm thinking, put the tins in the oven for a short amoun of time.  If melted, would the wax split or seperate?

 

The wax split apart because of solvent evaporating. You could put it in the oven, but be sure to leave the top of to prevent more solvent escaping. 

post #17871 of 19067
I did something similar recently with terrible results. I put a tin on a mug warmer. I unfortunately left the lid on, and the increased pressure forced a bunch of melted polish out of the hole that has the little cap removing twisty thing.

It was a huge mess.

The best method is to remove it all, put it in a glass container that is plenty large to hold it all, put it in a bath of simmering water in a pan on the stove, then when it is all melted, pour it back in the tin. You can also add solvent, but the all natural pine turpentine might be hard to come by. you could add naphtha from a hardware store, but that would be sacrilege to do it to saphir.
post #17872 of 19067

Or just buy a new tin...

post #17873 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

 

I have a jar and I am sure it is mayonnaise. It went well with some salad, though. :tounge:


At least you're not Belgian, or it would have been Frites a la Renovateur.

post #17874 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

I did something similar recently with terrible results. I put a tin on a mug warmer. I unfortunately left the lid on, and the increased pressure forced a bunch of melted polish out of the hole that has the little cap removing twisty thing.

It was a huge mess.

The best method is to remove it all, put it in a glass container that is plenty large to hold it all, put it in a bath of simmering water in a pan on the stove, then when it is all melted, pour it back in the tin. You can also add solvent, but the all natural pine turpentine might be hard to come by. you could add naphtha from a hardware store, but that would be sacrilege to do it to saphir.

 

I'm  99% sure just about all turpentine is commercially produced from pine resins. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes.  I do not believe there is any commercially available synthetic turpentine, though you may be able to acquire synthetic "turpentine" from a specialty chemical supplier.  

post #17875 of 19067
How to revive old polish: http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=569
post #17876 of 19067

Gentlemen, it has all gone too far when we talk about reviving old polish. As was suggested, by PCK1, just buy a new tin. Life is too short. 

post #17877 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfn View Post

How to revive old polish: http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=569

 

I don't like this because it uses orange oil. I followed another one of his recommendations to use orange oil to strip wax. The oil soaked into my shoes are the leather is ruined. In my opinion, orange oil isn't much a great solvent for wax or polish either. I've left a bottle of the oil open for about a month now and almost none of it has evaporated. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

Gentlemen, it has all gone too far when we talk about reviving old polish. As was suggested, by PCK1, just buy a new tin. Life is too short. 

 

Most people don't cover the tin of wax when they're polishing. I keep a little shot glass next to me when polishing to take water from and cover the wax with the top when I'm not getting it on the cloth. Leaving the tin open and exposed is what will cause the wax polish to break apart and crack in the tin. 

post #17878 of 19067
So just use turpentine then?
post #17879 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfn View Post

So just use turpentine then?
As long as it's the pine resin kind, it should be fine. You'll still need to melt it all down and add the solvent.
post #17880 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

Gentlemen, it has all gone too far when we talk about reviving old polish. As was suggested, by PCK1, just buy a new tin. Life is too short. 

We resole and revive old and worn pairs of shoes.

I prefer not throwing out good Tin of wax. That said, dried up wax shines easier IME.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**