Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:01 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 7:55 am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 3/22/17 at 9:17am in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1186post #17776 of 198432/21/16 at 8:41ampost #17777 of 198432/21/16 at 9:04amI just a did a full clean and polish of some calfskin (or napa?) Common Projects derbies I have, using Saphir Renomat, Renovateur and pommadier, and the result is that the pommadier appears to be soaking through and creating deposits in the leather inconsistent with the rest of the shoe. These spots only appeared after applying a bit of the polish and before I had time to work the pigment into the shoe.
Any ideas on how to balance this out?post #17778 of 198432/21/16 at 12:07pmpost #17779 of 198432/21/16 at 12:24pmpost #17780 of 198432/21/16 at 8:54pmpost #17781 of 198432/21/16 at 9:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by atia2
Disastrous first outing with my brand new AS Charltons last night. 90% certain it's red wine. I made a couple of applications of Renomat when I got home, allowed them to dry overnight, and then used Renovateur this morning. This hasn't achieved a great deal (other than removing the maker's finish from the apron). The stain feels different to touch than the rest of the shoe: there is resistance to moving my finger across it.
Any advice on the best approach?
I think you may have to strip and re-dye, but you could try hydrogen-peroxide. The free radicals should breakdown the pigments in the wine, it will also react with the tannin in the leather, so you might end up with a light spot instead of a dark one. I make no guarantees.post #17782 of 198432/22/16 at 6:15am
Thank you. I'm going to try white vinegar first, which was suggested in the AS thread, and then the "nuclear option" of H2O2 if that fails.
If it all comes to naught, then I will either chalk it up to "patina" or use them as a first experiment in stripping and dyeing.
I'm so annoyed to have extracted so little enjoyment from such an attractive and pristine pair of shoes!post #17783 of 198432/22/16 at 7:54ampost #17784 of 198432/22/16 at 11:17amQuote:
I agree, Ace. I am sure it will work out. I dropped a big piece of chicken pie on my new Loake Chester brogues, a year or two ago and couldn't do anything about it for a couple of hours. Today, all is well and even I can't see the discoloured patch.post #17785 of 198432/22/16 at 11:32ampost #17786 of 198432/22/16 at 12:34pmpost #17787 of 198432/22/16 at 1:33pm
Re-colouring shoes and boots isn't as difficult as you might think.
Quick re-cap of my recent experience. I had 2 pairs of tan boots. For my first ever attempt, I wanted one to be very dark brown and ended up with this;
For the other pair, I wanted to try something more difficult, so I tried doing a vintage style patina. I was The tan pair above was then changed to;
I can confirm the finish on both pairs has lasted well and not faded at all,
I have since re-dyed a more expensive pair of Crockett & Jones derby shoes to bring them back to their former glory
Before (with wax finish stripped off) Notice fading especially over vamp:
After (but before any new wax/polish):
Definately worth a try if other techniques fail.post #17788 of 198432/22/16 at 1:36pmpost #17789 of 198432/22/16 at 1:40pmpost #17790 of 198432/22/16 at 1:41pm
Respect for knowing the model!
Just a side note - Most brown Bradfords are Cordovan but mine are calf leather. I have no idea if you can even re-dye cordovan so please, no-one try it without some further research!
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 6 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 6 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 8 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › NIB Crockett & Jones Chelsea 5 Boots Walnut 10D US $640 16 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...