or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1175

post #17611 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


I recommend Bick4. I might have been one of the first to recommend it...quite a ways back in this thread. As far as waxes or polishes are concerned, I use cremes very very sparingly or not at all on my own shoes and Angelus wax when bulling, but only on the toe and heel--where the leather doesn't flex. But I don't really think it matters--they're all somewhat occlusive and equally bad for the reasons I mentioned above..

I think probably the best advice overall is simply to brush your shoes daily--keep them clean


I agree and also use Bick4. 

 

For polish, I mainly just use creme polish. I've used Saphir as well as Meltonion and haven't had a problem with either, even though the Saphir gives more to the pigment of the shoe. 

 

I only use wax on the toe and heel as well because the leather doesn't flex and these are the areas that commonly take the most direct trauma to the shoe when walking. 

 

In the end, keeping the shoe somewhat moisturized (like human skin), protected when not being worn (in a shoe bag), and brushed before and after wears (to remove dust and dirt particles) are the most important to keep the shoes going on as long as you can. 

 

The rest basically is just making them look better with more pigment and a nice shine!

post #17612 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


I agree and also use Bick4. 

For polish, I mainly just use creme polish. I've used Saphir as well as Meltonion and haven't had a problem with either, even though the Saphir gives more to the pigment of the shoe. 

I only use wax on the toe and heel as well because the leather doesn't flex and these are the areas that commonly take the most direct trauma to the shoe when walking. 

In the end, keeping the shoe somewhat moisturized (like human skin), protected when not being worn (in a shoe bag), and brushed before and after wears (to remove dust and dirt particles) are the most important to keep the shoes going on as long as you can. 

The rest basically is just making them look better with more pigment and a nice shine!

I would just say for the sake of clarity, that I use Bick4 pretty regularly Once a month? But it is, in no way, oily greasy or waxy. so it is not going to collect or hold grit.

I think there are too many products out there that carry fancy names and fancier price tags that, if truth were known, it would be better to use nothing (and just brush regularly) than to use those.
post #17613 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


I would just say for the sake of clarity, that I use Bick4 pretty regularly Once a month? But it is, in no way, oily greasy or waxy. so it is not going to collect or hold grit.

I think there are too many products out there that carry fancy names and fancier price tags that, if truth were known, it would be better to use nothing (and just brush regularly) than to use those.


agreed! Bick4 is pretty regularly used for me too, but not much else except for the creme polish once in a while (couple times a year at most) and the wax is as needed depending on the level of shine that I want.

post #17614 of 19072
So much conflicting info flying around it's ludicrous.
post #17615 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post
 


I agree and also use Bick4. 

 

For polish, I mainly just use creme polish. I've used Saphir as well as Meltonion and haven't had a problem with either, even though the Saphir gives more to the pigment of the shoe. 

 

 

Do you use neutral or colored polish? I want to go for neutral but I think a colored polish would have the benefit of filling in any scuffs. Also, which polish do you use?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


I would just say for the sake of clarity, that I use Bick4 pretty regularly Once a month? But it is, in no way, oily greasy or waxy. so it is not going to collect or hold grit.

I think there are too many products out there that carry fancy names and fancier price tags that, if truth were known, it would be better to use nothing (and just brush regularly) than to use those.

 

 

Bick4 ordered as my sole conditioner/cleaner for my calf and chromexcel shoes.

post #17616 of 19072

I like both Bick4 and Saphir Reno - I use them differently, and think they are different (if overlapping) products.

post #17617 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

 

Do you use neutral or colored polish? I want to go for neutral but I think a colored polish would have the benefit of filling in any scuffs. Also, which polish do you use?

 

 

 

 

Bick4 ordered as my sole conditioner/cleaner for my calf and chromexcel shoes.


I use colored creme polish from both Saphir and Meltonion! Both work for me but Saphir gives more pigment for me and yes it can fill the scuffs with the color better. 

 

There is no problem with neutral and it is great for light colored shoes, but I prefer to just have a lot of different polish colors so I can always work on helping the color of the shoes as well as giving more depth to them by using a variety of shades from lighter to darker. 

 

Good choice with Bick4! 

post #17618 of 19072

I like Saphir Renovator as well, but just use the Bick4 more for regular use and may use the renovator if I need some extra cleaning because I was given it as a gift. 

post #17619 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

So much conflicting info flying around it's ludicrous.

Only if you're conflicted...

crackup[1].gif
post #17620 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post


Bick4 ordered as my sole conditioner/cleaner for my calf and chromexcel shoes.

It has been my experience that putting any conditioner on leather outsoles shortens their lives. Esp. if the outsoles remain oily, greasy or are softened at all.
post #17621 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

I would just say for the sake of clarity, that I use Bick4 pretty regularly Once a month? But it is, in no way, oily greasy or waxy. so it is not going to collect or hold grit.

I think there are too many products out there that carry fancy names and fancier price tags that, if truth were known, it would be better to use nothing (and just brush regularly) than to use those.

Hi DWF,

Just curious if Lexol Original leather conditioner as well as its Neatsfoot variant are okay for occasional conditioning, say once one or two months? Would you prefer Bick4 way above Lexol?
post #17622 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


It has been my experience that putting any conditioner on leather outsoles shortens their lives. Esp. if the outsoles remain oily, greasy or are softened at all.


I agree and I don't use conditioner for leather outsoles either. 

post #17623 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

It has been my experience that putting any conditioner on leather outsoles shortens their lives. Esp. if the outsoles remain oily, greasy or are softened at all.

I believe he meant "sole" as in only... Not outsole.
post #17624 of 19072

Yes, it was DW the one to mention B4 in SF long ago and I remember that it took him a while to reveal the name (I hope he gets at least free product from the manufacturer, lol).  Then PBooth talked about Lexol being a similar product.  So I am very thankful to them for the tips cause at that time I was using Creme Universelle as a conditioner and a bit of Renovateur for polishing my shoes.

 

I was one of the first "overseas" members to buy both B4 and Lexol from Amazon (paid crazy bucks for shipping them to Spain).  I tested both and the results were better than expected compare to my waxy euro products.

 

Currently I just barely condition my shoes with Lexol or B4 (to me they are pretty much the same) and leave waxy conditioners/cleaners/cremme/balm...to apply on the welt and the outsole edge of my shoes.

 

PS.-B4 has a great desing and has a "blockage cap aplicator" (hope you understand me).

post #17625 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsi View Post

Hi DWF,

Just curious if Lexol Original leather conditioner as well as its Neatsfoot variant are okay for occasional conditioning, say once one or two months? Would you prefer Bick4 way above Lexol?

I used Lexol on shoes and boots I made for years. It's a good product. I think it has more water in it than Bick4. When I discovered Bick4 I knew immediately (by feel) that it was going to be my "go to".

I would not use Lexol-nf (homogenized neatsfoot) on dress shoes. It is oily...although less so than regular neatsfoot. But on oil stuffed leather or saddles, harness etc., once a year wouldn't hurt.

PS...on insoles and linings Bick4 is the very thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**