or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1166

post #17476 of 19072
For those who use a shoe cream applicator/brush, do you wash it after each use? Or do you have brushes for each color polish (light brown, medium brown, dark brown, black, etc..)
post #17477 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

For those who use a shoe cream applicator/brush, do you wash it after each use? Or do you have brushes for each color polish (light brown, medium brown, dark brown, black, etc..)

 

I wash with dauber brush for cream/conditioner after a polishing session. Otherwise the cream eventually turns hard on the brush and it can't be used, unless it is cleaned. I just use soap and water. 

 

I also recommend the same for the shine brush. You'd be surprised how much gunk comes out when you clean it. 

post #17478 of 19072

Speaking of cleaning brushes, I have a brush I've been using just for cleaning. I now wipe with a damp rag and brush lightly after wearing. Decided it would be good to occasionally clean that brush. After washing it now smells strongly - something between soot and tobacco. Is that normal for horse hair?

post #17479 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

For those who use a shoe cream applicator/brush, do you wash it after each use? Or do you have brushes for each color polish (light brown, medium brown, dark brown, black, etc..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

I wash with dauber brush for cream/conditioner after a polishing session.

I personally don't have any use at all for dauber brushes. I find I don't have nearly as much control over the amount I'm applying with a dauber as I do with my fingers and a cloth. I'm mostly using Selvyt cloths now and if IIRC I think it was @Munky that first recommended them. They really work great without giving off any lint and they are washable too. I do use different color full size brushes though. Maybe that's a bit unnecessary but I have one for black, dark brown, light brown, and burg plus a separate brush just for dust I keep on my dresser to give a quick brushing before putting the shoes on and right after taking them off.

For those that use daubers, why do you prefer them over just using fingers and cloth?
post #17480 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelook View Post

Thanks for the comments...I will look at the vid.  Skimming 17,000 posts is a daunting task.

I'm not sure why we don't have a wiki of important and recurring info.
post #17481 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 

 

I think the rust ruined the wax.  Personally I've never left any water inside my wax tins for exactly the reason you're experiencing.

I always use paper towel to completely dry the inside of the lid, before replacing it on the tin. 

post #17482 of 19072
+1
post #17483 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post



I personally don't have any use at all for dauber brushes. I find I don't have nearly as much control over the amount I'm applying with a dauber as I do with my fingers and a cloth. I'm mostly using Selvyt cloths now and if IIRC I think it was @Munky that first recommended them. They really work great without giving off any lint and they are washable too. I do use different color full size brushes though. Maybe that's a bit unnecessary but I have one for black, dark brown, light brown, and burg plus a separate brush just for dust I keep on my dresser to give a quick brushing before putting the shoes on and right after taking them off.

For those that use daubers, why do you prefer them over just using fingers and cloth?

 

Hi Fred. Yes, I recommended Selvyt cloths. One of the useful things about them is that they have a 'smooth' side and a marginally rougher side. The smooth side is good for putting polish on and the other for buffing afterwards. They are 100% cotton.  I wait till they are a bit too colourful and pop them in the washing machine. They dry really well and if anything they improve with washing. I also keep horsehair brushes for each colour of shoes. Another cloth that is useful for a final buff is a fine, microfibre one. It is good at bringing up a final shine. 

post #17484 of 19072


Is this creasing on the front of the cap toe of my Park Avenue normal? This is my correct size and I keep them in shoe trees. I also condition and polish them every now and then. So I'm a bit confused...
post #17485 of 19072
Quote:
Depends on what kind of help you need.

I have an old pair of bass wingtips.  Not long ago they were re-soled.  They are burgundy in color and I think if they were re-done from the ground up they could look beautiful.  I'd even consider paying someone to to it.  But, I'm pretty good at polishing shoes and need the layers of knowledge necessary to do the job correctly.  I'll keep nosing around.  If anyone else would like to chime in that would be great.

post #17486 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry View Post



Is this creasing on the front of the cap toe of my Park Avenue normal? This is my correct size and I keep them in shoe trees. I also condition and polish them every now and then. So I'm a bit confused...

 

That's probably just cracked wax. Might be some creasing there if the toe stiffener doesn't go all the way up to the captoe, but that's perfectly normal. 

post #17487 of 19072

Massdrop is having a sale of Saphir Cream Polish and Renovateur. 2 cream polishes for $30, $3.50 shipping to CONUS. Renovateur and Cordovan cream polishes are also available for an extra $2. Go nuts. 

post #17488 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

Massdrop is having a sale of Saphir Cream Polish and Renovateur. 2 cream polishes for $30, $3.50 shipping to CONUS. Renovateur and Cordovan cream polishes are also available for an extra $2. Go nuts. 

Thanks!
post #17489 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

That's probably just cracked wax. Might be some creasing there if the toe stiffener doesn't go all the way up to the captoe, but that's perfectly normal. 



Thanks for the reply. Also another quick question. Sorry I'm new to AE but is this side creasing normal for the Strand. This is my first time wearing them and I've only worn them for 3 hours so far and not a lot of walking. The other shoe doesn't seem to have this problem. I know these are the right size because I got my foot measured at the store. Thanks!
post #17490 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry View Post





Thanks for the reply. Also another quick question. Sorry I'm new to AE but is this side creasing normal for the Strand. This is my first time wearing them and I've only worn them for 3 hours so far and not a lot of walking. The other shoe doesn't seem to have this problem. I know these are the right size because I got my foot measured at the store. Thanks!

No idea if strands somehow are prone to this with your foot form but I've definitely had creasing in all sorts of places before that differ from shoe to shoe. I have so far had 4 different pairs of AE Leeds for example and they all behaved and looked differently in regards to creases. Leather is a natural product too, I.e. different hides or different parts of the hides will behave slightly differently if what I've heard on these forums so far is true.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**