or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 116

post #1726 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg
allen edmonds horsehair brushes and daubers
feels nice and soft... maybe too soft
someone did mention that boar's hair brushes are better for cleaning

I think he said that in jest.
post #1727 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I think he said that in jest.

lol
well this is the first time i'm going to be doing anything to my shoes so i would have believed him
shog[1].gif
post #1728 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

lol
well this is the first time i'm going to be doing anything to my shoes so i would have believed him
shog[1].gif

In all honesty, those round dauber things are pretty useless. I would send them back and get the smaller welt cleaning brushes.
post #1729 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


In all honesty, those round dauber things are pretty useless. I would send them back and get the smaller welt cleaning brushes.


I ended up with two of the round daubers from a travel kit. I use them to apply Renovateur to brogues. That's the only use I've found for them.

post #1730 of 11902
Renovateur is best applied with a cloth not a dauber in any case.
post #1731 of 11902
Yeah, I feel like you waste a lot of product using those daubers. They are a bit too hard on the finish for application, I feel. A finger in a T-shirt works a lot better. It gets up excess polish and spreads the product better.
post #1732 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice View Post

Renovateur is best applied with a cloth not a dauber in any case.


i just use my fingers...  and toothbrush for welt seams...

post #1733 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post



i just use my fingers...  and toothbrush for welt seams...

I find that using fingers does spread it better than a cloth, but the cloth helps to pick up excess loose pigment, polish and dirt.
post #1734 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf View Post



If you had said someone like Northampton Novice, Glenjay, Fritzl, Patrick Booth or even Gdot were great contributors to this thread I'd understand but NBPT no I'm sorry. Like you he's just an individual that lacks common sense and specializes in making moronic statements.


 

thank you for mentioning me. probably, we can get more attention to good old kiwí in opposite to the frog crap... just sayin.

a very warm welcome to you wilf.
post #1735 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

don't put it on dress shoes. It's for boots, and perhaps the soles of shoes.

Thank you for answering so quick. I was at work though and unable to apply.

I know he is hocking a product but Kirby Allison seems decent enough. Here is his shine, which I was think about doing a few of my older shoes with. http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/presidential-shine/

I ordered Renomat, and alas it is out of stock until tomorrow, thus I have a tub of dubbin sittin in my valet.

Kirby hasn't steered me wrong yet, so I was going to try his method, is it terrible?
post #1736 of 11902
His method is very thorough. I'm sure it will work well.

Dubbin (or pure mink oil) is not widely appreciated around here as a treatment for calf. As it has the reputation of being too greasy. However, I've used mink oil as an 'undercoat' on calf shoes for years with very good effect.

Just don't use it frequently. And do note that Kirby notes you should let it soak in for two days.

Also you should know that Kirby spent time with the folks at Saphir being trained on their recommended techniques.

If you are interested in an 'all Saphir' treatment regime I have no doubt that Kirby is 'the man' to help you out with it.
post #1737 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post



i just use my fingers...  and toothbrush for welt seams...

Finger lickin' good eh?
post #1738 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Also you should know that Kirby spent time with the folks at Saphir being trained on their recommended techniques.

A few of us have done this...and with the greatest respect to Kirby he is a businessman & retails these products. so bias has a part to play.

Also it's worth noting there is a significant difference between Dubbin and Mink oil.
post #1739 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post



I ended up with two of the round daubers from a travel kit. I use them to apply Renovateur to brogues. That's the only use I've found for them.

orly
post #1740 of 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg
allen edmonds horsehair brushes and daubers
feels nice and soft... maybe too soft
someone did mention that boar's hair brushes are better for cleaning

good starter kit. well done

...and yes he is right.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**