or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1123

post #16831 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

..

With regard to all the arm-chair experts and "contenders" (or perhaps "pretenders") ...

It reminds me of that old TV show--Survivor. The forum pushed Travers off the island...nature abhors a vacuum.
post #16832 of 19038
I think I figured out the issue, Chogall is mad because he has crumbs in his vagina. He sits in bed naked eating veal cutlets and all of the bread crumbs fall onto his belly and onto the bed where they find their way into his vagina and he gets cranky. He then uses saddle soap to wash out the crumbs against the advice that saddle soap isn't acidic. This leads to the acid mantle on the vulva breaking down and not able to do its job (of protecting the skin against harmful bacteria) and his vulva gets swollen, red, and possibly other issues ensue. This leads to binge eating veal cutlets naked in bed where more crumbs find their way into his vagina and he gets bent out of shape and posts inane things on the inter webs. It is a vicious circle.
post #16833 of 19038

Perhaps there are two sorts of saddle soap then? One for shoes etc which isnt really saddle soap (just called so for nostalgic reasons) and perfectly fine and the other a true saddle soap which is indeed soapy alkali badness?

 

Which means that everyones right and we can stop with the handbags? Agreed?

post #16834 of 19038
Either way, it isn't acidic. Neutral isn't great either.
post #16835 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemo79 View Post

Perhaps there are two sorts of saddle soap then? One for shoes etc which isnt really saddle soap (just called so for nostalgic reasons) and perfectly fine and the other a true saddle soap which is indeed soapy alkali badness?

"...or perhaps we suppose that everyone else is just as sloppy with their thinking and word usage as we are." Eh?
Quote:
Which means that everyones right and we can stop with the handbags? Agreed?

Yeah...in a 256 grey-scale world it's all good.
post #16836 of 19038
Does Lexol darken shoes? I used it for first time earlier in year during spring cleaning/polishing. All shoes but one I didn't notice a change, and think it is a great product.

But in on shoe, burgundy color and probably had sat for years new in box in a warehouse and never saw cream or conditioner, I did think it darkened the burgundy slightly.

Opinions?
post #16837 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

People this is simple test report, them done...

 

+1.  Though I've admittedly been lazy about testing.  But hey, I caint making claims.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Leather has a pH of 3 to 5 hence don't use saddle soap. You're fucking wrong. Even a pH of 7 is literally 100 times more alkaline than a pH of 5. It is a logarithmic scale. Now your clinging to the word "highly" once again using language to weasel your way out of being wrong. Can you not understand anything besides exactly what is fucking written? You need reading comprehension skills. The point is Saddle soap or anything higher than a pH of 3 to 5 which I have mentioned time and time again isn't optimal for leather. Anybody with reading comprehension skills past a 7 year old can get that. Deal with it. You also cite Ron Rider who for a long time was the rep for Saphir. You're just being a butthurt scumbag. The forum thanks you Chogall you've managed to not change the advice that soaps are ok for leather and made yourself look like an insufferable prick. Congrats.

 

Again, personal attacks doesn't make you more right or logical in a discussion.  Here's my original question:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post


Did you test the saddle soaps for pH or is your crusade against the word soap.

 

Aside from being botched by the combination of my butter finger and iPhone auto correct, you obviously did not do any testing for your claims as logical as it might be.  A hypothesis without verification.

 

My point has always been, don't post information authoritatively when there's no proof behind it.

 

And guess who posted the first factual data point on your hypothesis?  Me.

post #16838 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post

Does Lexol darken shoes? I used it for first time earlier in year during spring cleaning/polishing. All shoes but one I didn't notice a change, and think it is a great product.

But in on shoe, burgundy color and probably had sat for years new in box in a warehouse and never saw cream or conditioner, I did think it darkened the burgundy slightly.

Opinions?

It would depend on the product (Lexol makes a highly refined neatsfoot oil)and how dry the leather is. Any darkening should fade...unless,of course, the leather itself was faded from dryness. In which case, the Lexol may have simply returned the leather to its original colour.

That said, after years and years of using Lexol I have come to prefer Bick4 myself
post #16839 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by axon17 View Post
 

Wow you attacked pB because of his title and now you're playing victim. If anything you're a sly douche bag.

 

Let me quote pB again on his real life threat.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


I'll donate a lot more than $5 to settle this and a lot more to somebody to shit in a box and send it to Chogall for being an obese asshole.

Acetic acid diluted might be your best bet. Finished leather has a pH between 3 and 5 so HCL might be too strong. I will defer that to you.
post #16840 of 19038

More MSDS factoids for those who are interested.

 

Kiwi Saddle Soap.  pH: N.A.

Fiebing Saddle Soap.  pH: 8 - 10

Farnam Leather New Easy Polishing Glycerin Saddle Soap.  pH: 10

Lexol pH Neutral Cleaner.  pH: not listed

post #16841 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by axon17 View Post

More creamy in consistency?

I dunno..creaminess, sure, but less water too and maybe less neatsfoot.

Just years and years of experience with leather and what lots of different leathers look and feel like after application...of anything. It's in the hands more than the mind.
post #16842 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

More MSDS factoids for those who are interested.

Kiwi Saddle Soap.  pH: N.A.
Fiebing Saddle Soap.  pH: 8 - 10
Farnam Leather New Easy Polishing Glycerin Saddle Soap.  pH: 10
Lexol pH Neutral Cleaner.  pH: not listed

Through email Lexol said that their cleaner is between 6 and 7 and their conditioner is between 5 and 6.

Stop deliberately being dense.

Shitting in a box and sending it to you isn't a "life" threat, unless of course somebody's shit is radioactive or something.
post #16843 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by axon17 View Post

Wow you attacked pB because of his title and now you're playing victim. If anything you're a sly douche bag.

That's exactly what he is, just douche enough to fly under the radar. At least I own my douchebaggery.

Two words: David Copeland.
post #16844 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Through email Lexol said that their cleaner is between 6 and 7 and their conditioner is between 5 and 6.

Stop deliberately being dense.

Shitting in a box and sending it to you isn't a "life" threat, unless of course somebody's shit is radioactive or something.

 

Thanks for those info.  Good to know.

 

p.s., real-life threat.  Cursing and name calling online is one thing, but offering bounties for someone to send a box of shit to me in real life is a whole different level.

post #16845 of 19038
It is a funny thought, that's all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**