or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1117

post #16741 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I have no idea what non-alkaline regenerating soap is, so maybe?

To be honest, I have no idea what the need is in general for stripping wax. If you routinely need to strip wax of your shoes you're applying too much/too frequently.

 

I strip the existing wax probably once a year or more depending on how often I wear my shoes. I never wear dress shoes without a glass polish so I tend to add a layer or two when it needs it.

 

I also do this for my clients and you can see a difference between just glass polished on top of existing polish vs strip, condition, creamed, glass polished. Polish on recently stripped/cleaned shoes look cleaner and "thinner".

post #16742 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by garland View Post
 

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone using to remove old wax for the means of conditioning shoes and applying a fresh coat of polish? I've used numerous products, but want to know what you guys are up to. 

Renomat mostly here too!! Easier -safer- faster by far than other remedies (saddle soap -turpentine-acetone etc) always according to remove old wax

post #16743 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Did you test the saddle soaps for pH or is your crusade against the word soap.

If it is a naturally made soap what you call it has got nothing to do with its properties. Natural soaps (not synthetic detergents that are pH adjusted) have to be alkaline in order for them to be soap, otherwise they revert to oil state. This isn't my opinion.
post #16744 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokb View Post

I strip the existing wax probably once a year or more depending on how often I wear my shoes. I never wear dress shoes without a glass polish so I tend to add a layer or two when it needs it.

I also do this for my clients and you can see a difference between just glass polished on top of existing polish vs strip, condition, creamed, glass polished. Polish on recently stripped/cleaned shoes look cleaner and "thinner".

I think with more brushing and buff and less polishing sessions it isn't really necessary. If the wax hardens enough walking, and buffing thereafter is enough to loosen and remove excess wax.
post #16745 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


I think with more brushing and buff and less polishing sessions it isn't really necessary. If the wax hardens enough walking, and buffing thereafter is enough to loosen and remove excess wax.

 

My regular rotation is probably once in 4-5 weeks, and I normally just give them a brush/buff before and after wear. When I say polishing, I mean just top up with wax polish if by any chance, I can't see my face on the toe caps any more. If they get scuffed, depending on how bad it is, I might spot apply cream polish as well.

 

Not sure what you meant with your second sentence. Brushing off excess cream polish has always been a necessity. As for wax polish, I brush off the first or second layer then finish off the toe and heel with glass polishing.

post #16746 of 19059
I don't think it is necessary to strip off wax with that routine.
post #16747 of 19059
Sorry to come off as a strawman, but I sometimes wonder the following. If people who require renomat to strip off previously applied excess polish/wax, to then go thru process of applying new layers of cream polish then wax. And rinse/repeat.

Would have been better off if they barely did much at all from the start apart from a bit of conditioner and polish once or twice a year?

At least from personal experience the most I get around cleaning and polishing a shoe is probably 2/yr. Certainly around March Madness then usually again on random Sundays in fall. And my shoes look great and show no signs of distress.

Now I own enough such that I rarely wear some nicer styles. But I certainly hope to never find myself needing to completely strip everything off a shoe including its factory look only to rebuild.
post #16748 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post

Sorry to come off as a strawman, but I sometimes wonder the following. If people who require renomat to strip off previously applied excess polish/wax, to then go thru process of applying new layers of cream polish then wax. And rinse/repeat.

Would have been better off if they barely did much at all from the start apart from a bit of conditioner and polish once or twice a year?

At least from personal experience the most I get around cleaning and polishing a shoe is probably 2/yr. Certainly around March Madness then usually again on random Sundays in fall. And my shoes look great and show no signs of distress.

Now I own enough such that I rarely wear some nicer styles. But I certainly hope to never find myself needing to completely strip everything off a shoe including its factory look only to rebuild.

Exactly.
post #16749 of 19059
I strip leathers naked once every several years when stars align in a certain pattern, blood moon, full moon, drought, or El Niño.

Renomat shoudnt be used in new shows or as part of regular, presidential, in presidential, or governor maintenance. Ever.
post #16750 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

I strip leathers naked once every several years when stars align in a certain pattern, blood moon, full moon, drought, or El Niño.

Renomat shoudnt be used in new shows or as part of regular, presidential, in presidential, or governor maintenance. Ever.
I never strip my shoes naked. I'd be afraid of getting harsh chemicals on my sensitive bits.
post #16751 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

I never strip my shoes naked. I'd be afraid of getting harsh chemicals on my sensitive bits.

How? Do you wear your shoes inside out?
post #16752 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post

Sorry to come off as a strawman, but I sometimes wonder the following. If people who require renomat to strip off previously applied excess polish/wax, to then go thru process of applying new layers of cream polish then wax. And rinse/repeat.

Would have been better off if they barely did much at all from the start apart from a bit of conditioner and polish once or twice a year?

At least from personal experience the most I get around cleaning and polishing a shoe is probably 2/yr. Certainly around March Madness then usually again on random Sundays in fall. And my shoes look great and show no signs of distress.

Now I own enough such that I rarely wear some nicer styles. But I certainly hope to never find myself needing to completely strip everything off a shoe including its factory look only to rebuild.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Exactly.

  What about mirror shine and someone step on you?

If you wont strip it down you wont be able to build a new proper one!! Always depends on how you polish your shoes, where you wear them , the type of the leather and the climate of your area ! Btw 99% of the conditioners out there has waxs in them!! 

post #16753 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


If it is a naturally made soap what you call it has got nothing to do with its properties. Natural soaps (not synthetic detergents that are pH adjusted) have to be alkaline in order for them to be soap, otherwise they revert to oil state. This isn't my opinion.

He's right, soap is basic. This is a fact. 

 

Source: top 10 chem program 

post #16754 of 19059
The last time this came up someone offered to grab their pH test strips and check their saddle soap to see how alkaline it really is as it gets worse the more alkaline the soap is. I think we never got that. Whoever offered it, are you still up for it?
post #16755 of 19059
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharkun View Post

The last time this came up someone offered to grab their pH test strips and check their saddle soap to see how alkaline it really is as it gets worse the more alkaline the soap is. I think we never got that. Whoever offered it, are you still up for it?

I could do this, but I don't have saddle soap.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**