or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1111

post #16651 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishShoes View Post

They have had a whole day after the final dye/lexol application and they don't feel tacky at all.  They have had lots of brushing to get any residue off.  They look a bit wet/shiny due to the brown cream and wax that I have just applied.

I'm interested to see how the colour holds.  I'm hoping these will be my wet weather/snow boots so they will be in for a real test!
The dye penetrates. It should hold up well.
post #16652 of 19073
How is suede horsehide as a material for loafers. Saw a nice looking pair on an Italian site and am wondering how it compares to bovine suede.

While I'm on the subject. Anyone know the quality of Pantofola d'Oro loafers or any advice on sizing?
post #16653 of 19073


I'd like to change the colour of at least one pair from that kind of reddish tan/chestnut colour to a plain and darker brown. What i have here is Saphir Pommadier and Saphir Pate de Luxe wax in dark brown as well as in black. Will this work?
post #16654 of 19073
Not exactly.
post #16655 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by kischi View Post



I'd like to change the colour of at least one pair from that kind of reddish tan/chestnut colour to a plain and darker brown. What i have here is Saphir Pommadier and Saphir Pate de Luxe wax in dark brown as well as in black. Will this work?

 

if you're going to stick to shoe creams, dark green will turn the reddish/oxblood hues to a dark brown.

post #16656 of 19073
Hello all, new member her but I've been browsing style forum for a year now.

I finally joined because I wanted to ask you guys if you know what I could do about this pair of Crockett & Jones connaughts.




I've had them for a year now and I really love these shoes, I polish them once a month using both cream and carnauba wax. I also use Allen Edmonds conditioner cleaner on a regular basis, but during this time, it has developed a sort of "rash" on the top of the shoe, next to the "mouth" and no matter what I do, it just seems to get bigger and bigger.

What would you recommend for addressing this issue? Any help will be welcomed.

Thanks
post #16657 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by geht View Post

Hello all, new member her but I've been browsing style forum for a year now.

I finally joined because I wanted to ask you guys if you know what I could do about this pair of Crockett & Jones connaughts.




I've had them for a year now and I really love these shoes, I polish them once a month using both cream and carnauba wax. I also use Allen Edmonds conditioner cleaner on a regular basis, but during this time, it has developed a sort of "rash" on the top of the shoe, next to the "mouth" and no matter what I do, it just seems to get bigger and bigger.

What would you recommend for addressing this issue? Any help will be welcomed.

Thanks

if i can see correctly from the photos you have posted(and understand what you mean by mouth hahah ;) ) i think this is just polish(mostly wax) over build up!! you ll have to use something a little stronger than just AE conditioner to clean that!! i recommend to go the way of  Saphir Renomat !! you can use it to clean deep down to the factory finish or just smooth out the build up ( "rash") !

 

hope i helped you solve this problem :happy: 

post #16658 of 19073

I have a new pair of suede boots with leather soles.  One of the reasons I purchased them is the appealing light brown sole edges and matching heal edges.  

 

Should I treat the edges with something, polish, etc., to preserve that nice light brown color while avoiding any darkening?  I assume if to be polished it should be clear or neutral product.  Any input appreciated.

 

post #16659 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhour View Post

if i can see correctly from the photos you have posted(and understand what you mean by mouth hahah wink.gif ) i think this is just polish(mostly wax) over build up!! you ll have to use something a little stronger than just AE conditioner to clean that!! i recommend to go the way of  Saphir Renomat !! you can use it to clean deep down to the factory finish or just smooth out the build up ( "rash") !

hope i helped you solve this problem happy.gif  

Thanks for the input benhour. It makes sense what you say. I've read that for such build up one could also use acetone (nail polish remover). What are your thoughts on that? Sorry for the crude words, mouth just sounded less silly than the upper's upper part. I don't know if you can see it, but around that area the "rash" look like small dots/spots.

Thanks for your help.
post #16660 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelook View Post
 

I have a new pair of suede boots with leather soles.  One of the reasons I purchased them is the appealing light brown sole edges and matching heal edges.  

 

Should I treat the edges with something, polish, etc., to preserve that nice light brown color while avoiding any darkening?  I assume if to be polished it should be clear or neutral product.  Any input appreciated.

 

i think the best way is not to do anything !! 99% you ll stain the suede with  polish!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geht View Post


Thanks for the input benhour. It makes sense what you say. I've read that for such build up one could also use acetone (nail polish remover). What are your thoughts on that? Sorry for the crude words, mouth just sounded less silly than the upper's upper part. I don't know if you can see it, but around that area the "rash" look like small dots/spots.

Thanks for your help.

  yes you can use acetone but i think Renomat is a much safer option! Acetone is harsher than Renomat and maybe ll damage the surface!! In both occasions dont rub with force, a gentle massage ll do the trick for you!! 

  you welcome !

 

 Always happy to help:happy: 

post #16661 of 19073
Quote:
i think the best way is not to do anything !! 99% you ll stain the suede with  polish!

Glad to have your opinion, thanks...

post #16662 of 19073

A couple of before and afters I've done for calf, suede, and shell.

 

Canali single monks that I've patina'd

 

Cucinelli Shell Cordovans

 

Vass oxblood calf.

 

Vass brown suede.

post #16663 of 19073



How much trouble am I in? I got these over a year ago with what seemed like thin/delicate leather; however, I think the (stretched?) leather has has more to do with the fact that my feet are too wide for this pair and the leather is "stressed" excessively where the toe reinforcement ends.

If I use a conditioner it looks good for a wear or two but always comes back to this state. I don't mind how it looks, I'm just worried about it getting worse.

Thank you.
post #16664 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



How much trouble am I in? I got these over a year ago with what seemed like thin/delicate leather; however, I think the (stretched?) leather has has more to do with the fact that my feet are too wide for this pair and the leather is "stressed" excessively where the toe reinforcement ends.

If I use a conditioner it looks good for a wear or two but always comes back to this state. I don't mind how it looks, I'm just worried about it getting worse.

Thank you.

 

One thing you can try is Saphir's renovating cream. it's what I use to patch up tears. Just pick the right color and apply it carefully so that it blends in well.

post #16665 of 19073

I have a pair of Johnston and Murphy Hutchins longwings (now discontinued, but info here: https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/hutchins-wingtip/7986.html) I bought about 18 months ago.

 

They are a GYW design, etc. at the higher end of the J&M line and I really liked them when I got them.  I've probably over-worn them a bit (have since expanded my collection and rotation), but I got caught in the rain a while back and the shoes got pretty wet. 

 

There are a few places on the upper where the leather gets darker in response to any moisture.  The biggest and most noticeable of these is on the outside of the left shoe:

That is with a bit of Saphir Reno on the area.

 

The soles and heels aren't done but getting there, so I'm considering refurb. @ J&M.

 

- Any thoughts on what is going on with the leather here?  It is visible but very faint when dry, but darkens as above when wet at all.  That is the biggest/most visible spot, but there are a few others on that shoe.

 

- Opinions on whether J&M can/will refurb these?

 

- Should I send them to Randy the Cobbler (or similar - suggestions welcome) for more detailed attention?

 

J&M full refurb is $115.  My recollection of some of the mail-order cobbers is they cost $120-$150.  That is about the limit of my tolerance for expense on these shoes at this point, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money if the leather is permanently corrupted.

 

Some other images of the shoes:

worn through the heel lining on both of them.

(showing the spot also - this was taken shortly after the Saphir was applied.  It is much less noticeable when fully dry)

 

Thanks in advance for help/opinions!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**