Anyone have any advice on how to start cleaning and shining these shoes? I've never really gotten any of my shoes this dirty and scraped up so I'm not sure how to begin or if I should be buying any special cleaners like saddle soap / lexol cleaner & lexol conditioner or soaking them in water.
- use a moist paper towel to get the dirt off uppers and shaft. (water or maybe rubbing alcohol?)
- brush uppers and shaft
- use renovateur on uppers only and wait 30 minutes
- use neutral cream or light brown cream on uppers only
- 50 coats of neutral wax
1. Don't use moist paper towel. Just put them under faucet and wash. Faster and cleaner. Alternatively, wash them in a bucket of water + renomat, or water + vinegar if its salt/sea water stained. Use old toothbrush to get rid of the dirt.
2. Use lexol or bick4 to condition, not renovateur. Condition them while they are still wet. Insert shoe tree. Wait a day or two till they are dry.
the rest is fine. cream and buff or whatever you feel like.
If you wear them rough, maybe a touch of dubbing across the vamp.