Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 2:19 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 3/24/17 at 12:35pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 6:13 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 3:24 pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1098post #16456 of 198598/23/15 at 11:20ampost #16457 of 198598/24/15 at 8:12ampost #16458 of 198598/25/15 at 10:00ampost #16459 of 198598/25/15 at 10:41ampost #16460 of 198598/25/15 at 10:54am
I just bought a pair of used Allen Edmond Park Avenues in shell cordovan on eBay. I received them, but am now troubled by what seem to be indents on the cap toe. I was wondering if anyone could identify what these are from and if the cap toe can be restored. The left shoe also seems to have a residue of some kind, maybe wax build up. I love these shoes, but if they can't be restored I will have to return them.
Zachpost #16461 of 198598/25/15 at 11:08am
I don't think that's an indent, it looks like the creasing of the shoe. You can see it on the right shoe as well, though to a lesser degree. The shoes were probably a bad fit for the original owner, and thus has the awkward creasing into the cap toe. Probably can't be restored, but I certainly wouldn't call the item defective or valid for return...you just happened to buy a used pair of shoes with bad creasing.post #16462 of 198598/25/15 at 11:14ampost #16463 of 198598/25/15 at 11:16amQuote:
I would try a deer bone, personally. Or just enjoy them. With time and TLC, they'll become your own and who knows, you might even grow to like the character that your shoes have? idk. Thats how I always approach shell at least. Understandable if you don't feel the same way.post #16464 of 198598/25/15 at 12:41pmQuote:
Enough wax polish and some bulling will cover that up where it isn't noticeable at an arm's length.post #16465 of 198598/25/15 at 1:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by rbhan12
^^Meltonian, not the sleep-related hormone melatonin!
Folks on here swear by Saphir for their creams, waxes, and other leather care products. Pretty hard to go wrong with Saphir.
Also, I just purchased some Bick4 leather conditioner...time to see if it lives up to the love!
Haha, yea i meant to put melatonian***
Ah ok I will try saphir then. I do use Bick4 so I can support it and say it does a fantastic job!post #16466 of 198598/25/15 at 1:12pmpost #16467 of 198598/25/15 at 1:16pmpost #16468 of 198598/25/15 at 1:17pmNo, lexol is a conditioner, they don't sell polish. For polish use regular kiwi, saphir, lincoln, or any of those. Meltonian has silicone in it, which I said people shy away from.
The J&M salesperson didn't know what he's talking about. All shoe polishes have some sort of solvent in them, alcohol isn't a factor and it isn't in any shoe polish to my knowledge.post #16469 of 198598/25/15 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
No, lexol is a conditioner, they don't sell polish. For polish use regular kiwi, saphir, lincoln, or any of those. Meltonian has silicone in it, which I said people shy away from.
The J&M salesperson didn't know what he's talking about. All shoe polishes have some sort of solvent in them, alcohol isn't a factor and it isn't in any shoe polish to my knowledge.
Outside man I greatly appreciate your help! One last question if you don't mind: What does silicone do to a shoe? Just curious...post #16470 of 198598/25/15 at 1:26pmSilicone itself isn't bad. I mean, it is completely inert. It is used in the human body in the form of implants (some more fun than others). The fact remains that silicones like to stick around, are very occlusive, and generally need some sort of solvent to remove. So continued use of silicones in shoe polishes will cause a buildup, which can have many harmful effects on leather in the long run.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Cars We Drive! 26 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 33 seconds ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 47 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 4 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want? 6 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 6 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...