Don't be so discourage. I have yet to try the Japanese's goat hair brushes. I heard better things about them, but have yet able to obtain one.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:41 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 2:26 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 6:02 am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 12/4/16 at 9:51am in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1028post #15406 of 190766/7/15 at 11:06ampost #15407 of 190766/7/15 at 11:43ampost #15408 of 190766/7/15 at 11:54amQuote:
Shipping box, mind you. The shipping procedure was piss poor. Brush came to me looking like Frankenstein's hair.post #15409 of 190766/7/15 at 5:13pmpost #15410 of 190766/7/15 at 5:26pmpost #15411 of 190766/7/15 at 7:35pmpost #15412 of 190766/7/15 at 7:41pmpost #15413 of 190766/8/15 at 5:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Itsuo
Cool tutorial @nutcrackerthank you!
We had a major downpour here last Thursday and I didn't have galoshes so I was doing my best but my shoes were getting fairly wet. Imagine my surprise/frustration when I noticed salt (stains) in them the next day!
Who is putting out salt in June?! I will admit while trying to avoid puddles etc. I did see what looked like rock salt somewhere but I immediately disregarded it for what I thought were obvious reasons.
Thankfully I know how to remove them fairly easily. (I use a water and vinegar mixture, at about 10:1. It's fairly weak and requires several reapplications but I've seen a strong mixture turn leather into wood bark, so I like to play it safe.)
My PSA is to be judicious in wearing your beaters in inclimate weather. And never underestimate how bad things can go.
Water vinegar 1:3. make sure you use distilled water.post #15414 of 190766/8/15 at 5:16ampost #15415 of 190766/8/15 at 5:18amQuote:
Goat hair smears the finish. That's why I got rid of mine. The best brush I have yet to come by is a $6 Kiwi horsehair brush. The fancy ones are too stiff and pit the surface. The Kiwi ones have just enough resistance to buff almost like a cloth would.post #15416 of 190766/8/15 at 6:49amNot sure where else to ask this, so:Quote:
Thanks.post #15417 of 190766/8/15 at 7:23amQuote:
Speaking of which, I bought three of these exotic brushes - one goat hair from Collonil, one from Hanger Project, and the latest one was a Yak hair. I really had to put work into them in order for the hair to really give a shine. Way worse work than maintaining shell cordovan (LOL). For over six weeks, the first two is all about dish soap, next two is shampoo, last two would take intense conditioning with hair conditioner. It's all in all a royal pain in the ass to get them silky smooth and soft like how they were advertised. You have to take into account how many times the brush has got to be combed because some people who made these were too lazy to do so.
Unless anybody have a freak mind like mine, or else I'd say it's too much work.post #15418 of 190766/8/15 at 10:52ampost #15419 of 190766/8/15 at 10:53ampost #15420 of 190766/8/15 at 12:02pm
Some of them can never be used immediately. You really have to wash and batter some of them shitless before they are usable. That being said, certain douche bag manufacturer coated the hair with some sort of weird coatings.Quote:
What's your frequency of conditioning schedule? Since I use grease, I only condition once per year. The rest is left up to Glen's cream and moisture in the air.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 9 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 35 seconds ago
- › Crockett and Jones Skye 4 Snuff Suede Wingtip boots 7 UK 3 minutes ago
- › The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Over the Shoulders, Under the Knees: Long Coats 6 minutes ago
- › The Toronto For Sale Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 7 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 8 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...