or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 1028

post #15406 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post


Thanks, I guess I'll skip it.

Don't be so discourage. I have yet to try the Japanese's goat hair brushes. I heard better things about them, but have yet able to obtain one. 

post #15407 of 19076

The gentleman earlier said his brush came crushed in the box, so I'm not convinced the smearing of the polish is a function of the goat hair rather than the initial damage to the brush. 

post #15408 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post
 

The gentleman earlier said his brush came crushed in the box, so I'm not convinced the smearing of the polish is a function of the goat hair rather than the initial damage to the brush. 

Shipping box, mind you. The shipping procedure was piss poor. Brush came to me looking like Frankenstein's hair.

post #15409 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post


Is this the same guy as here? Because it seems very similar.


Here's another one:

 

 

post #15410 of 19076

Thanks, cool vids. 

 

Is Saphir wax really that much better?

post #15411 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
 

Thanks, cool vids. 

 

Is Saphir wax really that much better?

Anything BUT Kiwi. 

 

However, for spitshine, or bulling, I'd strongly recommend GlenKaren's wax instead.

post #15412 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

Anything BUT Kiwi. 

 

However, for spitshine, or bulling, I'd strongly recommend GlenKaren's wax instead.

 

Yeah, I have a bunch of Kiwi polishes. I guess I should donate them and upgrade my shoe shine mojo. 

post #15413 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post

Cool tutorial @nutcrackerthank you!

We had a major downpour here last Thursday and I didn't have galoshes so I was doing my best but my shoes were getting fairly wet. Imagine my surprise/frustration when I noticed salt (stains) in them the next day! censored.gif

Who is putting out salt in June?! I will admit while trying to avoid puddles etc. I did see what looked like rock salt somewhere but I immediately disregarded it for what I thought were obvious reasons. musicboohoo[1].gif

Thankfully I know how to remove them fairly easily. (I use a water and vinegar mixture, at about 10:1. It's fairly weak and requires several reapplications but I've seen a strong mixture turn leather into wood bark, so I like to play it safe.)

My PSA is to be judicious in wearing your beaters in inclimate weather. And never underestimate how bad things can go.

Water vinegar 1:3. make sure you use distilled water.
post #15414 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Don't be so discourage. I have yet to try the Japanese's goat hair brushes. I heard better things about them, but have yet able to obtain one. 

They suck. Had one, sold it.
post #15415 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

The gentleman earlier said his brush came crushed in the box, so I'm not convinced the smearing of the polish is a function of the goat hair rather than the initial damage to the brush. 

Goat hair smears the finish. That's why I got rid of mine. The best brush I have yet to come by is a $6 Kiwi horsehair brush. The fancy ones are too stiff and pit the surface. The Kiwi ones have just enough resistance to buff almost like a cloth would.
post #15416 of 19076
Not sure where else to ask this, so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

I'm going to be in the states (NY and Vegas), and I've been interested in Alden 8 jumper boots for a while. Are they available anywhere, are there shops in those places I could visit and get a pair or do I have to order them somewhere?

Thanks.
post #15417 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


They suck. Had one, sold it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Goat hair smears the finish. That's why I got rid of mine. The best brush I have yet to come by is a $6 Kiwi horsehair brush. The fancy ones are too stiff and pit the surface. The Kiwi ones have just enough resistance to buff almost like a cloth would.

 

 

Speaking of which, I bought three of these exotic brushes - one goat hair from Collonil, one from Hanger Project, and the latest one was a Yak hair. I really had to put work into them in order for the hair to really give a shine. Way worse work than maintaining shell cordovan (LOL). For over six weeks, the first two is all about dish soap, next two is shampoo, last two would take intense conditioning with hair conditioner. It's all in all a royal pain in the ass to get them silky smooth and soft like how they were advertised. You have to take into account how many times the brush has got to be combed because some people who made these were too lazy to do so.

 

Unless anybody have a freak mind like mine, or else I'd say it's too much work. 

post #15418 of 19076

I would suggest just buying a shoe brush and using it. 

post #15419 of 19076
I conditioned all of my shoes last week. I hate doing it. So annoying.
post #15420 of 19076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

I would suggest just buying a shoe brush and using it. 

Some of them can never be used immediately. You really have to wash and batter some of them shitless before they are usable. That being said, certain douche bag manufacturer coated the hair with some sort of weird coatings. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I conditioned all of my shoes last week. I hate doing it. So annoying.

What's your frequency of conditioning schedule? Since I use grease, I only condition once per year. The rest is left up to Glen's cream and moisture in the air. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**