or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 999

post #14971 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 View Post
 

Well they said their calf leather comes finished and they burnish it to get the shine. When I asked if it's CG she said it's not grain leather.  Wikipedia listed the four types of leather for me and three say grain so I narrowed it down to the fourth option. The website says 'burgundy cobbler' on the shoe page. I don't know if that's just something to do with the color, like how cordovan is sometimes used as such.

the shoes you have are made off CG (high shine vinyl coat) i wouldnt recommend  to try remove the finish!!

post #14972 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post

Have a pair of White's boots in smooth brown leather. The heel of one is scuffed as hell, but the heel of the other is not. Boots were very dry so I applied Obenauf's oil, but that had no effect on the scuffs.




AnythingI can do to fix this scuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

You can try brush that up really hard, apply the LP in light coats until the scuff is largely diminish, or else take it as being worn. It looks more like abrasion than scuffs. Oils will do little on scuffs.


Okay, at this point I have been told:

1) Obenauf's LP

2) Waxy polish

3) You're screwed unless you get them refurbished

4) You're screwed even if you get them refurbished


If I try polish & LP, should I do the LP first then give it time to fade before trying the polish?

Or should I use the polish first since the LP may keep the leather from fully soaking up polish?

Or should I pick either polish or LP and only try one?
post #14973 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post



Okay, at this point I have been told:

1) Obenauf's LP

2) Waxy polish

3) You're screwed unless you get them refurbished

4) You're screwed even if you get them refurbished


If I try polish & LP, should I do the LP first then give it time to fade before trying the polish?

Or should I use the polish first since the LP may keep the leather from fully soaking up polish?

Or should I pick either polish or LP and only try one?

LP goes alone, or wax polish alone. You don't use both of them, unless you love sticky, greasy, and dirty messes on your boots.

 

Since you oiled them, I'd suggest you go for the LP. Get a small teaspoon or so, and apply the LP with your fingers, THEN rub the spot with the spoon. It should flatten down the roughness.

 

You can try refurbishing as a last resort, but they'll just dump coloring chems on the damaged area anyway.

post #14974 of 19072
I could make those heels look awesome. It would take a lot of time though.
post #14975 of 19072

If anything, I can always trust you in such task. :fonz:

post #14976 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post



Okay, at this point I have been told:

1) Obenauf's LP

2) Waxy polish

3) You're screwed unless you get them refurbished

4) You're screwed even if you get them refurbished


If I try polish & LP, should I do the LP first then give it time to fade before trying the polish?

Or should I use the polish first since the LP may keep the leather from fully soaking up polish?

Or should I pick either polish or LP and only try one?

 

Wax polish, and then press the polish in with the convex side of a spoon in small circles -> repeat with small amounts of polish a few times -> let dry for a day -> buff lightly with a horsehair brush.

 

It's on the heel, so adding a bunch of occlusive stuff like polish isn't much of a problem.

post #14977 of 19072

And I have a question for anyone who's worn unlined shoes made of chrome-tanned leather for a few years - did that have adverse effects on your skin?

I have worn my pair last summer and didn't see any ill effects, but I'm wondering if the chemicals will start seeping out with time (I realized that only on SF might that be a valid concern haha)

post #14978 of 19072

Was it rainy where and when you were wearing them? Coz that's when it's going to leech the excess tannage into your feet. 

post #14979 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinsanfran View Post
 

And I have a question for anyone who's worn unlined shoes made of chrome-tanned leather for a few years - did that have adverse effects on your skin?

I have worn my pair last summer and didn't see any ill effects, but I'm wondering if the chemicals will start seeping out with time (I realized that only on SF might that be a valid concern haha)


I have never noticed any adverse effects. Granted it never even crossed my mind before you mentioned it.

 

I think it would kinda act like crocking on a pair of new jeans, and the chemicals would only bleed considerably when new. So if you wore socks when they were new, and maybe did a light wash of the inside with a leather cleaner. I'd imagine that would help even if the only difference it makes is peace of mind.

 

I really think it could only cause issues if you have very sensitive skin though. And in the grand scheme of your overall health I think it's negligible and your worries would be better placed elsewhere.

post #14980 of 19072
It's on your feet not on your face. Shouldn't be much of a problem at all.
post #14981 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinsanfran View Post

And I have a question for anyone who's worn unlined shoes made of chrome-tanned leather for a few years - did that have adverse effects on your skin?
I have worn my pair last summer and didn't see any ill effects, but I'm wondering if the chemicals will start seeping out with time (I realized that only on SF might that be a valid concern haha)

Chrome allergies are real and AFAIK once they manifest are hard to get rid of. I have made shoe/boots for several customers who had chrome allergy and could not abide any chrome tanned leather even when it was isolated from the skin by socks.

On the other hand, if you wore the shoes during the heat of last summer with no ill effects the chances are you'll not have any problems this year ...or at all.
post #14982 of 19072

Thank you sirs for the (many shades of) advice re: unlined chome-tanned leather shoes.

post #14983 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


Chrome allergies are real and AFAIK once they manifest are hard to get rid of. I have made shoe/boots for several customers who had chrome allergy and could not abide any chrome tanned leather even when it was isolated from the skin by socks.

On the other hand, if you wore the shoes during the heat of last summer with no ill effects the chances are you'll not have any problems this year ...or at all.

A form of metal poisoning, would you say?

post #14984 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

A form of metal poisoning, would you say?

I dunno. The customers told me they had been diagnosed. What was described to me and what I saw was serious rashes.

That said, I'm a shoemaker, Jim, not a doctor.
post #14985 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

I dunno. The customers told me they had been diagnosed. What was described to me and what I saw was serious rashes.

That said, I'm a shoemaker, Jim, not a doctor.
r
You may not be a doctor but you may have just diagnosed a mysterious intermittent rash I have had for over 20 years it appears on my lower leg just above the sock line but below the top of the western style work boots I always wore on the job and guess what that job was . Pipewelder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**