or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 993

post #14881 of 19073
Just started getting into actually taking care of my shoes and I am on a tight budget so I will need to work frugally for now.

Can I use alcohol on shell to clean? If so, I plan on using alcohol to clean my shoes once up front. Well really just the two pair I have recently thrifted. One pair is shell (AE MacNeils being re-crafted now) and the other is calf (Florsheims posted a few posts back).

Going to pick up some lexol conditioner for the maintence. Would like to try Bick4 and Renovator at some point down the road, but only one choice for now.


I have neutral wax, but don't plan on using it often if ever.

Have brushes on hand already and buffing cloths coming soon.

Good starting point?
post #14882 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post
 

Hope you reach a 100 years in good health  like my grandmother with all your beauties around. And bear in mind to find the right space where to store all of them!!.:)    


haha and thanks. Well I have a collection of some well made shoes so I figure that as long as I keep care of them in the way that I do, they will be fine. Not to mention that I keep getting more each year! haha.

 

I've moved on to another closet by now!

post #14883 of 19073
I see plenty of people over care shoes on styleforum. I have high quality shoe by reasonable standard (EG/GG/CJ Handgrade) I never had leather cracking issue for 8yrs now. You can have two best bespoke hand welt shoe, I doubt in the end they will last longer than 40 pairs of AE on discount (price works about same?) with topy... Sad I suppose
post #14884 of 19073

In the end, it depends on how many pairs of shoes you have, how often you wear them, and how you take care of them. 

 

I can go a few months before wearing a shoe a 2nd time if I want, so polishing and conditioning them after 5 -10 wears is good for me. I keep them coated between storage so they stay in better condition. I'm a bit of a fanatic but I want them to last for 60 plus years if possible. 

 

If you take care of them they will last longer as long as they are made well. 

 

I even acquired a few pairs from the 60s and 70s and they are still in phenomenal condition. They were stored in shoe bags and obviously were conditioned before storage because they still weren't dried out. 

post #14885 of 19073

the important part is that we occasionally condition and polish the shoes. The time between care depends on wear as well as the person who owns them and how much of a fanatic they are. Most of us are excessive, but we are guys on StyleForum! 

post #14886 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Sorry, I just have to disagree with you on this one.

No, you don't have to agree, but at least this attitude is way better than some individuals who preferred shit storms. Experiences means qualitative data, or any data that are "measured" by quality, which tends to fall into bias. Therefore, I can give you this one as "experiences may vary".

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

I see plenty of people over care shoes on styleforum. I have high quality shoe by reasonable standard (EG/GG/CJ Handgrade) I never had leather cracking issue for 8yrs now. You can have two best bespoke hand welt shoe, I doubt in the end they will last longer than 40 pairs of AE on discount (price works about same?) with topy... Sad I suppose

It's absurd the way you put it, but then again, I can only say that it depends. Likewise, there were bespoke shoes from 19th century that lasted until this day, as we are talking, therefore, I might as well counter-argue your statement. 

post #14887 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post
 

In the end, it depends on how many pairs of shoes you have, how often you wear them, and how you take care of them. 

 

I can go a few months before wearing a shoe a 2nd time if I want, so polishing and conditioning them after 5 -10 wears is good for me. I keep them coated between storage so they stay in better condition. I'm a bit of a fanatic but I want them to last for 60 plus years if possible. 

 

If you take care of them they will last longer as long as they are made well. 

 

I even acquired a few pairs from the 60s and 70s and they are still in phenomenal condition. They were stored in shoe bags and obviously were conditioned before storage because they still weren't dried out. 

They can last as long as you wanted, if you treat them right. It wasn't like shoes and boots hadn't lasted through history - there were combat boots that lasted throughout the Second World War easily. I don't see why your goals are fanatic or ambitious. 

post #14888 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

They can last as long as you wanted, if you treat them right. It wasn't like shoes and boots hadn't lasted through history - there were combat boots that lasted throughout the Second World War easily. I don't see why your goals are fanatic or ambitious. 

You talk too much. Give us all a rest please.

post #14889 of 19073

You sounded like a psychopath. You can't even ignore, FWIW. Just because you talk less does not mean others cannot say more.

post #14890 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

No, you don't have to agree, but at least this attitude is way better than some individuals who preferred shit storms. Experiences means qualitative data, or any data that are "measured" by quality, which tends to fall into bias. Therefore, I can give you this one as "experiences may vary".

 

It's absurd the way you put it, but then again, I can only say that it depends. Likewise, there were bespoke shoes from 19th century that lasted until this day, as we are talking, therefore, I might as well counter-argue your statement. 

 

There are paper from 150AD according to Guinness World Records.  Therefore, you could also argue that paper is more durable than plastic.

 

Confirmation bias & survivorship bias are the basis and rationale of your argument.

 

Oh hey, oldest smoker is age 122 so smoking might not cause with cancer!

post #14891 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post
 

 

There are paper from 150AD according to Guinness World Records.  Therefore, you could also argue that paper is more durable than plastic.

 

Confirmation bias & survivorship bias are the basis and rationale of your argument.

 

Oh hey, oldest smoker is age 122 so smoking might not cause with cancer!

I'd agree with you on some aspects there. I strive too much for qualitative data, and perhaps that is "the fault of 'my' star" (I don't give half a fuck for the actual show, it was just pun and fun intended). 

 

I will write a counter argument in your favor for the paper record as well:

 

Likewise, one may say, it depends on the materials that made up the paper, the quality assessment before the paper left its producers, and how it was stored, that would determine how long it last, or was argued to have lasted longer than plastic.

 

However, regarding smoker, sorry, right in front of my eyes, my high school rival died out of lung cancer from 10 packs of cig a day. So, sorry, the oldest smoker might as well was lucky.

post #14892 of 19073
All I will say is I love nice shoes just like everyone else on the forum. I just don't pretend it actually make economical sense or I can get my life worth of shoe with 2 to rotate even if it's the best bespoke the world has to offer.
post #14893 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

They can last as long as you wanted, if you treat them right. It wasn't like shoes and boots hadn't lasted through history - there were combat boots that lasted throughout the Second World War easily. I don't see why your goals are fanatic or ambitious. 

 

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/oldest-shoe-moccasin.htm

 

Actually theres 5000 year old leather shoes for your survivorship bias

post #14894 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post
 

 

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/oldest-shoe-moccasin.htm

 

Actually theres 5000 year old leather shoes for your survivorship bias

I won't bring you an example that far, just antique Corcoran Jump Boots that survived WWII - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Paratrooper-Corcoran-Jump-boots-/261865315967 - tribute to DW as well.

post #14895 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

I'd agree with you on some aspects there. I strive too much for qualitative data, and perhaps that is "the fault of 'my' star" (I don't give half a fuck for the actual show, it was just pun and fun intended). 

 

I will write a counter argument in your favor for the paper record as well:

 

Likewise, one may say, it depends on the materials that made up the paper, the quality assessment before the paper left its producers, and how it was stored, that would determine how long it last, or was argued to have lasted longer than plastic.

 

However, regarding smoker, sorry, right in front of my eyes, my high school rival died out of lung cancer from 10 packs of cig a day. So, sorry, the oldest smoker might as well was lucky.

 

Not sure if you are talking out of your ass or trolling, but 10 packs of cigarette (that's one carton btw) a day is ridiculous and suicidal.  That is akin to drinking 10 gallons of water per day, which is equally as suicidal.

 

FYI, 2 packs a day is considered heavy chain smoker...

 

Seems like your heavily conditioned leather IS over conditioning by the standard you set in this example.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**