Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 986

post #14776 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

Since when does water "lather"? Spit has enzymes, so why not letting them sit so they eat the leather to the flesh side? I said Renomat can work like a soap, but I never called it a true soap.  

 

If you want, go ahead and poke your shoes till they penetrate your toes and walk that bloody feet home just for fun. Waxes shouldn't even be caked on in the first place. 

 

It can lather and bubble up as good as petroleum distillate.  Not sure if your spit is that poisonous.  By your logic water can work like a soap as well, it cleans shit!

 

From the sound of it you are probably not that familiar with hand tools.  Or maybe you are capable of punching a hole through your heat-form plastic toe stiffener using a paper clip.

post #14777 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

It can lather and bubble up as good as petroleum distillate.  Not sure if your spit is that poisonous.  By your logic water can work like a soap as well, it cleans shit!

From the sound of it you are probably not that familiar with hand tools.  Or maybe you are capable of punching a hole through your heat-form plastic toe stiffener using a paper clip.

Oh great. So now petroleum distillates can lather up too... and spits are "poisonous"... and water cleans off shits...

I just got enlighted...

ON HOW MUCH TIME I WASTED ARGUING WITH AN ASS HAT!
post #14778 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Oh great. So now petroleum distillates can lather up too... and spits are "poisonous"... and water cleans off shits...

I just got enlighted...

ON HOW MUCH TIME I WASTED ARGUING WITH AN ASS HAT!

Wash your hands too next time while you inhale lathered Renomat soaps for higher purity and less grit.
post #14779 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Few will welcome this observation / advice but with brogued shoes the best way to apply polish or cream is with your fingers. Yes, your fingers will get stained...unless you use rubber or latex gloves (available at the big box stores in reusable quantities of a dozen for less than the cost of a jar of shoe cream) but fingers..even latex gloved fingers...is the only way to apply really thin coats such that the broguing never becomes clogged.

Actually now that I think about it, short of bulling, the best way to apply polish or cream to any shoe...brogued or not...is with fingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

@DWFII speaks the truth. Use your digits; they work best. Nitrile gloves or the equivent keep your fingers clean.

I just put on a pair of nitrile or latex exam gloves and apply it all by hand. I do everything by hand and then just use the brush at the end. Using less polish is better so you don't clog the broguing
post #14780 of 19840
If you need to get a resole and want a really high quality one, you can even contact Perry Ercolino the bespoke shoe maker in Doylestown Pennsylvania. He can resole it however you want and has a variety of leather soles that he can use including both Rendenbach and Baker. He can machine or hand stitch it and include any other refurbishing details that you need as well.

You just have to contact him for pricing because it depends on what details you want done but a standard full resole with Rendenbach or bakers was less than b Nelson last I checked.

He is a great man to work with and has great pride in his work.
post #14781 of 19840

Hi, I need some help with my shoes. I opened a new thread, then a moderator moved my post over here, and someone suggested I should ask you guys.

post #14782 of 19840

first try polishing my own shoes... any areas for improvement?

post #14783 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

first try polishing my own shoes... any areas for improvement?

they are nice for a first try. What polish did you use? 

 

My only concern is that from the shine off of the vamp right before the cap toe, there might be some cracking that develops from walking around in them. I will add some wax to the shoe for protection but only add a high shine to the toe, after the point of bending of the foot when walking.

 

Nice shine though!

post #14784 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

first try polishing my own shoes... any areas for improvement?

very good job just to remember not overdoing it with wax at the vamp area!!it ll flake of as it flex :)

post #14785 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post
 

they are nice for a first try. What polish did you use? 

 

My only concern is that from the shine off of the vamp right before the cap toe, there might be some cracking that develops from walking around in them. I will add some wax to the shoe for protection but only add a high shine to the toe, after the point of bending of the foot when walking.

 

Nice shine though!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhour View Post
 

very good job just to remember not overdoing it with wax at the vamp area!!it ll flake of as it flex :)

thanks guys! mw313, I used saphir—the renovateur, the cream polish, and the wax polish. I more or less followed the shoe snob's guide, as I wanted that mirror shine (I will be wearing them with a tuxedo soon).

 

thanks for the tip for the vamp... I'll shine it less next time and try to keep the mirror on the cap

 

what do I do when the sole starts chipping on the side? just add some polish to cover it up?

post #14786 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

 

 

thanks guys! mw313, I used saphir—the renovateur, the cream polish, and the wax polish. I more or less followed the shoe snob's guide, as I wanted that mirror shine (I will be wearing them with a tuxedo soon).

 

thanks for the tip for the vamp... I'll shine it less next time and try to keep the mirror on the cap

 

what do I do when the sole starts chipping on the side? just add some polish to cover it up?


no problem. I was hoping that is what you would be using and that may help to keep the full color and prevent a bit of flaking/cracking, but yes, try to watch around the vamp for the future. 

 

The sole will start chipping just from the way that you walk or if you walked on an uneven surface. You can use some sole edge treatment or some cream polish to cover up some of it, but it may continue to happen over time. 

post #14787 of 19840

I need help. I went to a concert on tuesday and one dude spilled some f his beer on my Red Wing boots... they have some stains... what can I do? 

post #14788 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Savage View Post
 


Just bought my first pair of suede shoes last night. I bought the kit with the eraser and the brush. What else do I need to properly care for these and keep them looking new? Thanks in advance.

 

I use a pig-hair brush after every wear.  They look great after lots of use.  I've tried all kinds of erasers and brushes over the years.  The metal brushes are too harsh, but the synthetic nylon brushes are sometimes too soft and ineffective.  I don't use the protective spray, but I'm sure it will work fine.  ( I actually have a bottle of that Saphir branded stuff someplace.)  Something about spraying chemicals onto it doesn't seem like it's a great idea--over time.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
 

I need help. I went to a concert on tuesday and one dude spilled some f his beer on my Red Wing boots... they have some stains... what can I do? 

 

The forum needs pictures. 

post #14789 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post

I use a pig-hair brush after every wear.  They look great after lots of use.  I've tried all kinds of erasers and brushes over the years.  The metal brushes are too harsh, but the synthetic nylon brushes are sometimes too soft and ineffective.  I don't use the protective spray, but I'm sure it will work fine.  ( I actually have a bottle of that Saphir branded stuff someplace.)  Something about spraying chemicals onto it doesn't seem like it's a great idea--over time.  


The forum needs pictures. 



I want to cry.
post #14790 of 19840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post




I want to cry.


Its Character.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**