or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 979

post #14671 of 19081
Well, it's me that stands corrected then.

As for the video...I'll look forward to it.
post #14672 of 19081
I recently purchased a bottle of RenoMat to strip the caked on factory finish off of my burgundy shell MacNeils. I've done two applications thus far and, although they look much improved, there is still a significant amount of finish on my rag after the application. Should I continue with applications until no burgundy shows up on the rag, or will continuing damage the leather? I really want to lighten the color a bit, but not to the detriment of my shoes.

Thanks in advance.
post #14673 of 19081
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishrifle View Post

I recently purchased a bottle of RenoMat to strip the caked on factory finish off of my burgundy shell MacNeils. I've done two applications thus far and, although they look much improved, there is still a significant amount of finish on my rag after the application. Should I continue with applications until no burgundy shows up on the rag, or will continuing damage the leather? I really want to lighten the color a bit, but not to the detriment of my shoes.

Thanks in advance.

At this rate, you may have to bite your teeth, get a dauber brush, run water over it, and completely take the whole finish down from the surface. If anything, do not be afraid to get the surface wet. You are not damaging the leather - you're merely removing the finish. Once it is all said and done, as soon as no more finish is bleeding and the leather is still damp (if wet, brush the water off), get a burnishing tool (deer bone or sleeking bone, or what have you) and burnish the surface until it is dry and starts to shine. If you don't have a burnishing tool, brush the whole shoe vigorously until the leather is dry.

 

Don't forget to follow up with conditioners like Lexol or Bick4. 

post #14674 of 19081
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

I literally had to soak, washed, soak, and use cheap hair conditioner on Walmart for weeks on Hanger Project's goat hair brush before it can give me that mirror gloss shine. Somehow some of the brushes from Colonil works way quicker.

In theory a goat hair brush should be great, but it is not. I had one, garbage.
post #14675 of 19081
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishrifle View Post

I recently purchased a bottle of RenoMat to strip the caked on factory finish off of my burgundy shell MacNeils. I've done two applications thus far and, although they look much improved, there is still a significant amount of finish on my rag after the application. Should I continue with applications until no burgundy shows up on the rag, or will continuing damage the leather? I really want to lighten the color a bit, but not to the detriment of my shoes.

Thanks in advance.

Burgundy will lighten under sunlight, Dump it under the sun for
a few weeks to months

http://leffot.com/tag/genuine-horween-shell-cordovan/

See this post by Nick
post #14676 of 19081
Or, you know, just condition them lightly after all the Renomat and use them instead of destroying the leather? The shell will lighten with wear.
post #14677 of 19081
Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to maintain the burgundy color, just lighten it a bit. The wings appear a bit darker than the vamp, however the RenoMat seems to have helped a bit. I am going to apply one more application of RenoMat this evening and follow up with an application of Renovateur.
post #14678 of 19081
Renovateur is a polish more than it is a conditioner; I would personally condition the leather better. However, I'm an opponent against the craze in the AE-thread of stripping the shell multiple times with Renomat.
post #14679 of 19081
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishrifle View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to maintain the burgundy color, just lighten it a bit. The wings appear a bit darker than the vamp, however the RenoMat seems to have helped a bit. I am going to apply one more application of RenoMat this evening and follow up with an application of Renovateur.

Well you should be able to see how much it has lightened so control the timing accordingly..
post #14680 of 19081

Shell varies in colour.  It's shell.  Brush it, wear it, enjoy it.  Some of the recipes in here deserve Michelin Stars, but are best ignored by anyone who intends to leave the house.

post #14681 of 19081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Shell varies in colour.  It's shell.  Brush it, wear it, enjoy it.  Some of the recipes in here deserve Michelin Stars, but are best ignored by anyone who intends to leave the house.

No, you don't understand. AE caked shits on shell cordovan, taking away everything that is the beauty of the hide. If brushing could take care of it all, then one would have taken the steps anyway. However, it's shit loads of inks dumped of the surface.

post #14682 of 19081
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfn View Post

Renovateur is a polish more than it is a conditioner; I would personally condition the leather better. However, I'm an opponent against the craze in the AE-thread of stripping the shell multiple times with Renomat.

I wash the surface off with water. The water based ink comes right off. It's nothing like Alden's coating.

post #14683 of 19081
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

I wash the surface off with water. The water based ink comes right off. It's nothing like Alden's coating.
In what way does it differ. I've removed the coating from a pair of Alden cigar Indys . It was an accidental/ probably foolish/ mad scientist sort of affair but it turned out well and they actually have developed a beautiful patina. Just curious as I've never owned a pair of AE shells. Now that I think about it I don't belive I've even seen a pair irl
post #14684 of 19081
Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

In what way does it differ. I've removed the coating from a pair of Alden cigar Indys . It was an accidental/ probably foolish/ mad scientist sort of affair but it turned out well and they actually have developed a beautiful patina. Just curious as I've never owned a pair of AE shells. Now that I think about it I don't belive I've even seen a pair irl

Have you read posts where they wiped AE's shoes down with a damp cloth and the color just runs off for forever? That was when I immediately understand that AE dumped water based finishing liquid on the poor hide. They have this kind of habbit using water based products on all of their shoes. It is sticky, nasty, and ugly, but the pro is that it is removable with just water, but be aware that it takes running water and a dauber or coarse cloth.

Alden's coatings are actually some sort of acrylic, like the type God knows where they made it. It is best to remove these types of coatings with a mild solvent.
post #14685 of 19081

Using stuff to remove stuff before applying other stuff seems rather unnecessary.  Brush the damn things, and wear them.  If there's any excess polish or finish on them, it will wear away just fine.

 

Anyway, going back to the OP's main issue, that one part of the shoe was a different colour to the rest, that's just the natura of the beast.  And removing the finish will probably emphasise the variation rather than reduce it.  Shells do not have even colour; that's part of the charm.  And with a mass produced shoe, it might well not even have been from the same shell.  Horween's "Colour 8" varies from dark oxblood to port wine to quite a bright bloody red.  Every shell is different.  Learn to love it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**