or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 934

post #13996 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Never tried diapers.

Old military trick.

Not nearly as messy as cotton balls.
post #13997 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post


Old military trick.

Not nearly as messy as cotton balls.

Cotton balls can be fairly reliable, but only when there are enough moisture from water to actually press the lint down and keep it there.

post #13998 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktown View Post
 

Should I just use polish on sole edges to turn them brown again? Or do I need edge dressing? Or just leave alone?

Use shoe polish - conditioner, cream, then wax, and remember to rub them on really good before the product dries. If at any possible, use a burnishing tool and burnish the heel and sole edge.

post #13999 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Cotton balls can be fairly reliable, but only when there are enough moisture from water to actually press the lint down and keep it there.

That's also not an issue with cotton diapers.
post #14000 of 19061

I tried polishing for the first time.

 

 

I'm no expert. I used Saphir Reno on both shoes, then black creme on the RMW's and Neutral on the Alden's, and then a layer of wax all over, black and neutral respectively, then buffing it out. Then gave it a quick shine on each toe cap with a cloth, then buffing it out with a dot of water, about 5 or 6 layers. I didn't aim for a high shine, as I think they can look out of place, and I prefer the smoother contrast between the vamp(?) and the toe cap.

post #14001 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post


That's also not an issue with cotton diapers.

Diapers are woven cloths. It won't be as horrible.

 

Kiwi cloths are the scariest I've known. They shed lints terribly.

post #14002 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
 

I tried polishing for the first time.

 

 

I'm no expert. I used Saphir Reno on both shoes, then black creme on the RMW's and Neutral on the Alden's, and then a layer of wax all over, black and neutral respectively, then buffing it out. Then gave it a quick shine on each toe cap with a cloth, then buffing it out with a dot of water, about 5 or 6 layers. I didn't aim for a high shine, as I think they can look out of place, and I prefer the smoother contrast between the vamp(?) and the toe cap.

For what you call "a smoother contrast", I'd say you need to buff the vamp a little more with a shine cloth or a chamois leather cloth. 

post #14003 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

"Facing" would indeed be the area around the eyes.

Who knows what someone meant by "split?" But it can hardly be good,can it?

Since the facings are subject to a degree/kind of stress that the rest of the shoe may not experience, it could presage a blow-out of some kind, yes.

You pays your nickel and you takes your chances.

Thanks DWFII!
post #14004 of 19061

I've used Selvyt cloths for a couple of years. They are certainly lint free. On side is good for putting polish on and the other is good for buffing afterwards. They can be put in the washing machine  and get better after washing. For some reason, I keep a separate  'buffing'  Selvyt cloth, unwashed and use it on shoes of any colour. I sort of imagine that using the same cloth in this way adds patina. Perhaps it does. It's best to buy the cloths from the makers. Amazon and others' are hugely inflated in price. The best company from which to buy the most expensive Selvyt cloths is John Lobb. Just take a look at their price list, online and weep. 

post #14005 of 19061

I pull them off the 'Bay, but availability is crazy.

post #14006 of 19061

Gentlemen, how many of you burnish - or attempt to - some of your shoes during the course of maintenance? By burnishing here I mean by both ways - rubbing with a smooth object (animal bones, spoons, wooden pieces) or just rub it excessively with a cloth or buffing with a brush just for the sake of burnishing (I won't take into account daily brushing and/or maintenance brushing)?

post #14007 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

Gentlemen, how many of you burnish - or attempt to - some of your shoes during the course of maintenance? By burnishing here I mean by both ways - rubbing with a smooth object (animal bones, spoons, wooden pieces) or just rub it excessively with a cloth or buffing with a brush just for the sake of burnishing (I won't take into account daily brushing and/or maintenance brushing)?

 

i dont think its useful in any way!! (except if you have hited the toe on a rough  surface and you want to put down the fibers that have been raced up! only at the last case i have used a spoon !

post #14008 of 19061

Ben, I've not had any pair of shoes that are vegetable calfskins, and I think I won't have any of them until I am nicely settled in CA, where, in the long run, I have a stable place as my base for bespoke operation. I've attempted burnishing on chrome calf but they never work. I did the heel and sole edge job on my AEs though, rubbed the edges down with the bone, imitating the way how the shoemakers would have done it.

 

Say, Ben, your calf shoes, what tannage did the leather went through?

post #14009 of 19061
Hey, anyone know which stores carry Lexol? Home Depot, Target, etc?

Thanks.
post #14010 of 19061
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

Ben, I've not had any pair of shoes that are vegetable calfskins, and I think I won't have any of them until I am nicely settled in CA, where, in the long run, I have a stable place as my base for bespoke operation. I've attempted burnishing on chrome calf but they never work. I did the heel and sole edge job on my AEs though, rubbed the edges down with the bone, imitating the way how the shoemakers would have done it.

 

Say, Ben, your calf shoes, what tannage did the leather went through?

Travers i cant be100% sure for all my shoes! But most of them are vegetable tanned (that is stated from the manufacturer and  from what i see they look like to be veg tanned)!! one pair of monks i own even the seller was saying they were bark tanned i suspect they where chrome tanned from an undyed part of the tongue (it was blueish inside)!!  i can only be sure  for the pair that is made from a friend of mine cause i have seen pictures from the hide!! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**