Interestingly enough, I have always bought size US 9.5 shoes. Just measured my own foot at exactly 10" of length which coverts to a US 8/8.5. These chelsea boots are UK 8.5 or US 9/9.5. Not conclusive, but interesting to me at least.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCarminatagged by JenniferO, 8/6/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- categoryPull On Boots Chelsea Bootstagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Caretagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- Sole Welting Last post on 2/22/15 at 1:03pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 2/24/15 at 6:08pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More Last post on Today at 9:48 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 1:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 2/16/15 at 6:50pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)
Last edited: 12/11/12
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 918post #13756 of 137622/25/15 at 8:39am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #13757 of 137622/25/15 at 8:46amQuote:
First, lasts between shoe companies don't adhere religiously to any set of standards. And even among last companies sizes aren't always congruent.
A size 9 in an Acme shoe might "stick" the same as a 9.5 or even a 10 in an Apex shoe.
Second, length may or may not have anything to do with it--instep girths, as well as waist girths, are a factor in foot slide. And the long heel measurement is even more critical...esp. when the shoe has no laces or any way to tighten you back into the shoe, short of original fit.
edited for punctuation and clarity
Edited by DWFII - Yesterday at 10:09 ampost #13758 of 137622/25/15 at 8:57amQuote:
I'm not sure if this is the case, so apologies if it isn't, but from your questions it seems like you are newly purchasing shoes of a higher quality than you previously were wearing. In general, I find that your sneaker size in the well known brands is often a full size higher than your dress shoe size from the better makers. If you ordered your Cheaneys are the same size that you have previously been wearing for sneakers and glued shoes they very likely are too big. Here are a couple of my sizes just as a comparison.
New Balance gym shoes: US11EE
Allen Edmonds 5 last: US10E
Alden Barrie last: US9.5D
Crockett & Jones 348 last: UK9E
Don't get hung up on the size number as it means different things to different manufacturers and different lasts. Alden Barrie in US9.5D is a very comfortable last for me while Alden Aberdeen last in US10D is painfully small. Forget about the number and go with what fits the best.post #13759 of 137622/25/15 at 11:12amQuote:Originally Posted by Munky
I have a new pair of Tricker's shoes and they have a very, very thick sole. At the moment, my feet don't slip forward in them but there is a little movement at the heel. Otherwise, they are very comfortable. I was wondering if the soles need time to bend a little. I imagine that very thick soles on shoes may influence movement at the heel - the uppers are stitched to - initially - very hard and unbending soles. The soles on my Tricker's are probably as thick as the soles on many boots (they are thicker, for example, than the ones on my Loake Chester's). I would have thought that the soles on boots are subject to a different sort of leverage than is the case with shoes.
If the boot is really and truly a high top shoe, the leverage shouldn't be all that different. But you're correct about a thicker, stiffer outsole having an effect on heel slippage. As does fit--the width of the heelseat and the thickness of the comb.post #13760 of 137622/25/15 at 11:49ampost #13761 of 137622/26/15 at 3:57pm
So I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Leeds the other day and they just got here.
They don't seem to have the normal tiny creases even though they seem to have
never seen shoe trees. I'm not sure, maybe they're shell? How would I tell? I took
some pictures, but I've never actually seen shell before.
This is after some brushing and a shoe tree. They don't seem
to have the tiny cracks that develop without trees like normal.
They're almost rough in the cracks.
This is the other shoe
Here's some pictures of the eyelets if it helps.
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
Styleforum Top Picks
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12
- › Proposal Stage, 2 weeks!: Viberg for Styleforum preorders Round1 -... 50 seconds ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › G&G Oakham Double Monks in Deep Vintage Cherry & Cherry Hatch Grain... 1 minute ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge: Windowpane or Glen PlaidFeb 27th, 2015 4 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 6 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 8 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...