or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 894

post #13396 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post


I believe AE is now using an improved rubber top. It also holds better to the base.

Where would that come from?

post #13397 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Where would that come from?

It's internal stuff. No big mystery but I know they worked on it.
post #13398 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post


It's internal stuff. No big mystery but I know they worked on it.

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I'll try and save the best of the memories with my current shoes.

post #13399 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I'll try and save the best of the memories with my current shoes.

How new?
post #13400 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post


How new?

The latest pair was shell dundee, acquired during fall 2013. Although built solid, the finish started out god awful, and the right boot was proportionally weird.

post #13401 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

The latest pair was shell dundee, acquired during fall 2013. Although built solid, the finish started out god awful, and the right boot was proportionally weird.

We wrote about two different things. First, the rubber heels on AE are improved.
Then the finish...If you didn't like the finish and the two shoes were not alike why did you buy them?
About the finish....This is exactly why I refuse requests to do antiquing/burnishing of the uppers. It's all subjective. After spending hours on a job that we think looks really good, the customer had a different idea of the result even after he told us what he expected. There a few guys out there that specialize in that sort of stuff.

But, if you don't like the finish on a shoe, let alone the pair, don't buy them.
post #13402 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post


We wrote about two different things. First, the rubber heels on AE are improved.
Then the finish...If you didn't like the finish and the two shoes were not alike why did you buy them?
About the finish....This is exactly why I refuse requests to do antiquing/burnishing of the uppers. It's all subjective. After spending hours on a job that we think looks really good, the customer had a different idea of the result even after he told us what he expected. There a few guys out there that specialize in that sort of stuff.

But, if you don't like the finish on a shoe, let alone the pair, don't buy them.

Nick, 

 

Regarding the heels, their regular lines were not improved when I bought my calf Hanover. When I sent them in for repair, they came back with a somewhat better heel toplift. Still, I'd nail them shut.

 

Talking about the finish, did you know they dumped loads of ink on the surface and the edges? It was sticky as hell, and wasn't looking anything like a job well done.

 

Burnishing and antiquing, Nick, not ink dump loads.

 

I gotta admit I was much deceived by the pictures.

post #13403 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Nick, 

Regarding the heels, their regular lines were not improved when I bought my calf Hanover. When I sent them in for repair, they came back with a somewhat better heel toplift. Still, I'd nail them shut.

Talking about the finish, did you know they dumped loads of ink on the surface and the edges? It was sticky as hell, and wasn't looking anything like a job well done.

Burnishing and antiquing, Nick, not ink dump loads.

I gotta admit I was much deceived by the pictures.

We are talking about mass production here. If they can figure out a way to fix the heel problem without creating a huge expense for auto-nailing the heels. Keep in mind, last I heard they manufacture 2600 pair of shoes per day and want to keep within a certain price-point made here in the U.S.A.
With that in mind it's certainly not cost efficient for them to "dump loads of ink on the surface and edges". Further, I see several brand new pair per week out of the box for sole guards, taps, waterproofing.
I don't see any dumping of ink? Stickiness?
If I were you I would contact their CS. I hear they are very reasonable at handling your sort of claims.
post #13404 of 19067

Dunno about claim, Nick, I might as well give that a shot over.

post #13405 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Dunno about claim, Nick, I might as well give that a shot over.

Please do and let us know one way or another.
post #13406 of 19067
Hi, sorry if this has already been discussed but what should i use for edge dressing for antique edge such as on my alden cigar longwing. The edge is now dirty and dull but if i use solid brown edge dressing, i think it would make the beauty of antique edge disappear. Or should i just leave the edge that way.
post #13407 of 19067
Where's the best place to buy supplies like polish and whatnot? I know of places that sell it but are there any places where it's extra affordable
post #13408 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

Where's the best place to buy supplies like polish and whatnot? I know of places that sell it but are there any places where it's extra affordable

 

That would depend, I think, on where you live...

post #13409 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

That would depend, I think, on where you live...

United States

Afpos seems to be affordable. Not sure if there's a better price out there.
post #13410 of 19067

I am from the UK but, from memory, the US is a big place. Would it not be possible either to A) read through this thread or b) do an internet search?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**