Most of them were curried or slapped with a coat of NF oil, make them rather rugged leather than leather that can be use for dress shoes.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 10/19/16 at 2:44am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:38 am in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 6:55 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 7:37 am in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 866post #12976 of 189281/12/15 at 5:39pmpost #12977 of 189281/12/15 at 5:47pmQuote:
I think it was cavalier chromexcel that has a different finish.
http://horween.com/leathers/cavalier-chromexcel/post #12978 of 189281/12/15 at 9:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
I think it was cavalier chromexcel that has a different finish.
Doesn't seems like the type that can be use for my shoes, though IDK. All CXLs aren't quite dressy enough, and, frankly, due to the pull up effect, polish is pretty much useless.post #12979 of 189281/13/15 at 5:23ampost #12980 of 189281/13/15 at 6:56amQuote:
The question is...given the nature of leather...how do you hot stuff a hide/side without the oils/waxes/greases moving from the flesh to the grain surface? The grain surface is not (except in the case of CG) an impervious barrier to the migration of those oils. It is porous. It is also why most, if not all, hot stuffed leathers are deemed "pull-up" to one degree or another.
From what I've seen over the years "hot-stuffed" leather and a "non-oily surface" are mutually exclusive.
Edited by DWFII - 1/13/15 at 7:16ampost #12981 of 189281/13/15 at 7:12ampost #12982 of 189281/13/15 at 7:15ampost #12983 of 189281/13/15 at 7:18ampost #12984 of 189281/13/15 at 7:30am
The lady at Tricker's advised me thus: "The Production Office have advised me that you’ve purchased a Red Calf leather pair, not Cavalier. Therefore, this needs just the usual polish and care of regular leather shoes"
[The Cavalier are mostly boots and made of stuffed leather - my comment.]
I notice, though, that the red tan goes right the way through the leather. The insides are pretty much as red as the outers. .post #12985 of 189281/13/15 at 7:41am
That's a shame Munky as you can can longer tell people your shoes are hot stuffed just like your pants. (We are so mature here). Now my main intention for posting.
A co-worker has come across a pair of Corthay Arca's (figure this is right up PB's alley) that were slightly used but have the spent the last decade in a box in the back of a closet. He wants to "recondition" them before wearing out so I was tempted to suggest Lexol based on the recent conversation here (a few months ago I would have suggested Saphir Reno). I assume the leather "dries out" a bit over a decade and some sort of nourishment is a good idea but was curious if an older leather requires special care and, as they are not mine, I do not wish to give poor advice.post #12986 of 189281/13/15 at 7:42amQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
FWIW, chromexcel isn't really made to be high shined. Even on my regular calf shoes, I rarely polish the vamp where it flexes. I generally like I keep a more matte vamp. In terms of mirror shining, you can essentially mirror shine anything if you take the time to do it.
Don't try CXL for a mirror or even a regular shine, though. It's gonna be the biggest failure in shoe shining history.post #12987 of 189281/13/15 at 7:43ampost #12988 of 189281/13/15 at 7:44ampost #12989 of 189281/13/15 at 7:47ampost #12990 of 189281/13/15 at 7:47am
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 22 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 24 minutes ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 25 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 27 minutes ago
- › Baby Powder in shoes -- when sockless 27 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 28 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 28 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 30 minutes ago
- › Beams F earth-color plaid fine-worsted tweed Jacket size 36S,... 30 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 31 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...