or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 864

post #12946 of 19073

Excuse me. I have just moved up a notch (for me) and bought a pair of bright red, calf, Trickers. They are for wearing on more extrovert days. I love them! They were c £400.

 

What's the best way to care for red shoes?  Neutral polish? Reno?  I know that Woly do a bright red polish but as these shoes have white sewing around the edges, I don't want to get the stitching  to get red polish on them. 

 

They are triple soled and - at the moment - completely unbending. although very comfortable. Is there anything, apart from walking in them, that I can do to make the soles to bend a bit?  Yours, as always, Munky

post #12947 of 19073
I'd just use neutral stuff on them. Even if you get some of the neutral polish on the white stitching it might pull some of the red leather dye, or red polish if they have any onto them, so best to just avoid getting too close to the stitching with whatever you do. Better yet, tape it off before you start polishing.
post #12948 of 19073
Munky,

Once you've worn them a couple of time--enough to "set" the creases in the vamps you can just bend the outsole repeatedly...by hand or, better, with your feet in the shoes. Repeated flexing will loosen the leather outsoles.

Might be interesting to see a pic of them.
post #12949 of 19073

Thank you, guys. I think you are right, Patrick, neutral cream does seem the best idea.

 

This is a photo of them, from the web.

 

trickers-red-bourton-leather-brogues-product-1-8595128-615359928.jpeg

post #12950 of 19073
Heeeere's Munky!

original.jpg
post #12951 of 19073
Munky,

Not quite the same shoe, I suspect? No white stitching, not really triple soled (that's a crepe sole in the photo) and I'd call that more a rust than a bright red. Just musing...
post #12952 of 19073
could even be a boot with some dandy laces....
post #12953 of 19073

Now I am just saving up for Ronald's Yellow onesie! Then, my life will be complete.

post #12954 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

Excuse me. I have just moved up a notch (for me) and bought a pair of bright red, calf, Trickers. They are for wearing on more extrovert days. I love them! They were c £400.

 

What's the best way to care for red shoes?  Neutral polish? Reno?  I know that Woly do a bright red polish but as these shoes have white sewing around the edges, I don't want to get the stitching  to get red polish on them. 

 

They are triple soled and - at the moment - completely unbending. although very comfortable. Is there anything, apart from walking in them, that I can do to make the soles to bend a bit?  Yours, as always, Munky

For the upper, use the Saphir Hermes Red. Be aware they might darken over time, so interchange the color with yellow tan cream.

 

Before anything is done to the upper, though, put neutral polish (cream or wax as personal reference) on them. That way they'll remain as you wish.

post #12955 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

Thank you, guys. I think you are right, Patrick, neutral cream does seem the best idea.

This is a photo of them, from the web.

trickers-red-bourton-leather-brogues-product-1-8595128-615359928.jpeg

Looks like a storm welt with a brick colored mid-sole and 18 iron brick cushion crepe out-sole.
They should be very light and flexible. I won't take long to break them in.
post #12956 of 19073

Thank's Nick. That photo may not be a very good match for my shoes. Mine are brighter red and have a solid leather sole. They are storm welted. 


Edited by Munky - 1/12/15 at 9:14am
post #12957 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

I have 5 belts from Equus and really recommend them highly! Everything is custom made and they are great people to work with. Check out their affiliate thread if you haven't already:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/260644/equus-leather-bridle-leather-belts-official-affiliate-thread/1620_30

I wear my Baker's leather with suits as well as casual. I have 2 Baker's, 2 bridle leather, and 1 suede. The Baker's have darkened with age and have developed a great patina.

+1

Charlie and Dawn's enthusiasm for their craft is positively DWF-esque
post #12958 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

Bick4 is great. Thanks to DWF for the rec....

No shipping to Spain (maybe due to no licences for EU market?).  I just got Lexol (crazy shipping fees)...will give it a try when needed and compare to Saphir  Creme Universelle.

post #12959 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

Thank's Nick. That photo may not be a very good match for my shoes. Mine are brighter red and have a solid leather sole. They are storm welted. 

 

If your red trickers shoes are made in 'lolipop cavalier' then they are hot-stuffed leather, which requires just wiping the dirt off the shoes with a damp cloth, and brushing. The occasional neutral polish would help as well I'd imagine (and keep the contrast stitching), but (if it's the cavalier leather) it won't take too much polish since it's already saturated

post #12960 of 19073

Hi Sleepy, yes they are the lolipop shoes. Is hot stuffed leather the same as corrected grain? They don't look as if they are CL. Thanks for your thoughts on this 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**