or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 852

post #12766 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluffer View Post
 

Hello everyone,

 

I just got a new pair of (discontinued) Barkers from Herringshoes. Its a full grain calf skin upper. They looked fine at first glance but there seems to be a slight "issue" which i have noticed with the leather.

 

 

 

While inspecting the shoes, i noticed these marks- the leather seems "dry"? also, when i press the leather, this happens.

 

 

*picture is showing the right shoe and the "concerned" area is the left part of the upper (where your large toe is).

 

I think its worth noting that this happens only at certain areas of the upper, not the entire shoe.

 

1. Should i be worried? is the leather "old and dry"? - this assumption is based on the fact that its on sale and a discontinued model.

2. Should i condition them immediately? I know (from scouring the forum) that it is a good idea to do so when first getting a new pair of shoes. I did put on leather cream as a bare minimum.

 

Any further comments or advise would be great. If my post isn't clear do let me know and i'll try to take more pictures. Also, these are my first pair of calf skin shoes, so i know next to nothing about how the leather should feel and/or react.

 

Thank you.

 

Cheers.

send them back!! even for a sale and discontinued model this is unacceptable! conditioner wont fix the problem cause they already started cracking!!

post #12767 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I just wear scotch grain boots without a problem.

Do they repel water? How do you maintain them?

post #12768 of 19073

Thanks everyone for your comments. weighing my options, i've decided to keep the pair and herringshoes has worked out a deal which i felt was tough to pass up. 

 

Cheers.

post #12769 of 19073
I take care of them the same way I do everything else. Any stamped grain leather is naturally a bit more water resistant because the fibers are compressed. Then again who knows with you, you claim to always be getting wet feet so I don't know.
post #12770 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I take care of them the same way I do everything else. Any stamped grain leather is naturally a bit more water resistant because the fibers are compressed. Then again who knows with you, you claim to always be getting wet feet so I don't know.

Screw my life when my feet gets wet, Pat. Therefore, all my footwear must resist water penetration by all means. Luckily we have stuffs like Glen's cream and high penetration grease from reputable names.

 

One drop of rain fall on my head and I'll get crazy headaches for days to come.

post #12771 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluffer View Post
 

Thanks everyone for your comments. weighing my options, i've decided to keep the pair and herringshoes has worked out a deal which i felt was tough to pass up. 

 

Cheers.

What did they tell you?

post #12772 of 19073

They offered me a partial refund- which was a fair offer. Plus, since a return would cause me to end up 20GBP poorer (without a pair of shoes), keeping the pair sounds pretty alright. 

post #12773 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSlice26 View Post
 

So with the winter weather being unpredictable, what are the must have tools to keep in my desk in case I kick up some street salt or get the uppers wet?

 

I would say just don't ever get them wet in the winter.  I've been using these with all of the snow (and salt) recently.  So far so good, I tend to walk 4-6mi a day outdoors and refuse to buy "commuting shoes" so it's important for me have something to protect my babies.<http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/covys> I used to have SWIMS but they were black and left dark marks on my non-black shoes so I found these. They also protect the vamp well. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


My apologies...several people have seemed to be referring to it as topy when responding to you. I know it's not Topy (or a "sole protector" of any kind).

 

My apologies, I used it generically because I felt most people were familiar with the term.  As usual DW is correct that it's fairly misleading to conflate them. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I just wear scotch grain boots without a problem.

 

Pics? Or I can PM  you.  I have a pair of poor weather shoes but I'm planning a pair of corrected grain (dressy-ish) boots for the office this fall for just this purpose.  I'd be interested in seeing what you/others use. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I think it is interesting that Justin Fitzpatrick discovered that when they do a resole, which is a half resole due to the pegged waist they hand stitch the outsole to the welt rather than using the hand cranked machine when putting on a full sole.

I also tend to wonder how many pairs ever make it back to the factory at all?  

post #12774 of 19073
At least pB's and mine Saint Crispins went back for factory resole over the past year.
post #12775 of 19073

Unless the shoes are hand welted like St. C, or else, from now on, my AEs will go to B Nelson's place.

post #12776 of 19073

Itsuo: "I would say just don't ever get them wet in the winter.

 

I would have thought that, unless you live in a dessert, it would be impossible not to get shoes wet occasionally. Do you wear the galoshes every day in the winter, in case it rains?

 

I sometimes think we lose the plot and forget that our shoes also have a functional use - wearing on the feet as protection against the elements. 

post #12777 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

I sometimes think we lose the plot and forget that our shoes also have a functional use - wearing on the feet as protection against the elements. 

fing02[1].gif

Out of the mouths of babes. crackup[1].gif

Worth repeating!!
post #12778 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post


I also tend to wonder how many pairs ever make it back to the factory at all?  

What do you mean? In the last year four of my pairs went back for a resole. A hole developed recently in a fifth pair that I need to bring back to Leffot now too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

At least pB's and mine Saint Crispins went back for factory resole over the past year.

Yeah, soles last me about a year, give or take.
post #12779 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Screw my life when my feet gets wet, Pat. Therefore, all my footwear must resist water penetration by all means. Luckily we have stuffs like Glen's cream and high penetration grease from reputable names.

One drop of rain fall on my head and I'll get crazy headaches for days to come.

You always mention grease, what grease are you using? Organic, grass-fed bacon grease?
post #12780 of 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

Itsuo: "I would say just don't ever get them wet in the winter.

 

I would have thought that, unless you live in a dessert, it would be impossible not to get shoes wet occasionally. Do you wear the galoshes every day in the winter, in case it rains?

 

I sometimes think we lose the plot and forget that our shoes also have a functional use - wearing on the feet as protection against the elements. 

 

It's not that hard. I just make sure to give the forecast a good lookover before I decide what shoe I'm going to be wearing, but sometimes you get stuck.

 

Yes, shoes have a functional purpose, but I do not buy dress shoes to satisfy those more basic purposes

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**