What is this line referring to. You use it a lot and maybe its an allusion to something over my head.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 10/19/16 at 2:44am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 10/20/16 at 7:38am in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on 10/21/16 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 1:14 pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 837post #12541 of 1892912/30/14 at 11:57ampost #12542 of 1892912/30/14 at 12:05pmQuote:
It's an paraphrase of a common scene in the old Star Trek series.
Dr. McCoy is always complaining to Captain Kirk that he's "a doctor Jim, not a ..." whatever the last seemingly impossible expectation Kirk has tasked him with.
McCoy was always a bit cranky about when he said that.
Just seems to come to mind whenever I don't have any idea what I'm talking about.post #12543 of 1892912/30/14 at 12:07pmpost #12544 of 1892912/30/14 at 12:13pmpost #12545 of 1892912/30/14 at 12:23pmpost #12546 of 1892912/30/14 at 12:42pmpost #12547 of 1892912/30/14 at 1:57pmpost #12548 of 1892912/30/14 at 2:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think you're wrong here. Waxes are composed of oils that are solid at room temperature. Oils definitely oxidize and yellow with time. I think the yellow hue is specifically because of oxidation.
Maybe @glenjay could talk more about it.
All bees make wax in epidermal glands to cover their outer layer of cuticle to prevent water loss.
Beeswax softens at 90 deg F (32 C) and melts between 143 and 151 deg. F (62-66 C). The flashpoint (temperature at which beeswax flares up and burns fiercely) is 490-525 deg F (254-274 C)
Beeswax is very stable. Samples thousands of years old are nearly identical with new wax.
Beeswax does not oxidize and it is not affected by mildew.
Beeswax is composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, combined into about 300 different long chain molecules.
Copy paste from chemistry book !!
Damn some times i am afraid of my memory hahahahapost #12549 of 1892912/30/14 at 2:22pmpost #12550 of 1892912/30/14 at 2:25pmpost #12551 of 1892912/30/14 at 2:56pmQuote:
If they evaporate out, sure no harm, no foul. However I'm not sure that you can assume that it would all evaporate out without harm, it can easily be trapped by waxes and oils, and since it is reactive, it could react before it has the chance to evaporate. Also the fact that you can visibly see a difference in some of your shoe care products suggests that much of it does not evaporate out.Quote:
In water based shoe polishes is is an emulsion, the water does not actually dissolve the waxes/oils. In an emulsion the water and wax are suspended between each other, not actually mixing. Having the water suspended between the wax particles keeps the solution from being too solid/hard.post #12552 of 1892912/30/14 at 3:18pmQuote:
Reversed waxed calf was made with the oil content required to be oxidized, and still, the leather is one of the strongest known, so, I guess this could perhaps be a great candidate for an answer to your question, don't you think?post #12553 of 1892912/30/14 at 3:19pmpost #12554 of 1892912/30/14 at 3:22pmQuote:
Try 1/10 aromatic oil to 10 parts natural leather oil. Works like a charm.
Anyway, worry less, will you, for reversed waxed calf was also made with its oils being oxidized. Nothing wrong. Rancid and mold would have been much worse than simply oxidized oils.post #12555 of 1892912/30/14 at 3:44pmQuote:
Rancidification is literally the same thing as oxidation of oils and fats.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 31 seconds ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 32 seconds ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 58 seconds ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 5 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › Crocket & Jones Handgrade loafers for Ralph Lauren 11/US 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...