or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 833

post #12481 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlensboy View Post


Excellent! LOL. Anyone here whose dressing assistant also wears Cervelt socks

It crossed my mind, but I don't like to spoil them….

post #12482 of 19072

Ha ha ha...Mr. Carson (Downton Abbey reference).

post #12483 of 19072
How would one condition shoes that have been mirror shined? I suppose the conditioner won't be able to penetrate the layer of wax. Strip everything and start all over?
post #12484 of 19072
Where is downtown Abbey?
post #12485 of 19072
So I received a thoughtful gift of some Saphir Medaille D'or 1925 Cordovan creams (neutral and #71). Unfortunately I don't own any shell kicks.

I'm sure I can exchange these but before doing so thought I'd ask here if anyone has intentionally or otherwise (these containers all look the same) used Cordovan creams on calf? And if so what was the result? Curious.
post #12486 of 19072
Now you have an excuse to buy some shell shoes.
post #12487 of 19072
The only difference between the regular cream and cordovan cream is that the cordovan cream has more pigments, no turpentine, and they add neatsfoot oil to it. It certainly won't hurt your calf shoes in any way, but I would think adding neatsfoot oil might make it a bit tougher to raise a shine compared to their regular formula.
post #12488 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Where is downtown Abbey?

 

Not sure but when you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always go there.

post #12489 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycth View Post

How would one condition shoes that have been mirror shined? I suppose the conditioner won't be able to penetrate the layer of wax. Strip everything and start all over?

toes and heels(i hope you hadnt mirror shined the entire shoe) are parts of the shoe that dont flex so the need of conditioner is not so significant as at the vamp area!! i redo the mirror shine on my shoes about once every 2 months (faster if some neaterdal step on them hahaa :P ) but conditioning toes only every 6 months and that very lightly (more to prevent welt from drying)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

The only difference between the regular cream and cordovan cream is that the cordovan cream has more pigments, no turpentine, and they add neatsfoot oil to it. It certainly won't hurt your calf shoes in any way, but I would think adding neatsfoot oil might make it a bit tougher to raise a shine compared to their regular formula.

+1

post #12490 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhour View Post
 

toes and heels(i hope you hadnt mirror shined the entire shoe) are parts of the shoe that dont flex so the need of conditioner is not so significant as at the vamp area!! i redo the mirror shine on my shoes about once every 2 months (faster if some neaterdal step on them hahaa :P ) but conditioning toes only every 6 months and that very lightly (more to prevent welt from drying)

 

+1

 

How do you remove the layer of wax (on the toes and heels of course :D)? Cutex?

post #12491 of 19072
Meltonian used to make a grease and tar remover which is good for dealing with a caked on PoW wax build up if you can find it, or most product lines will include a cleaner/conditioner of sorts. If we're talking about a thin layer of wax after one bull shine attempt though, your regular cream will have enough solvent in it to break that down.
post #12492 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycth View Post
 

 

How do you remove the layer of wax (on the toes and heels of course :D)? Cutex?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntempleman View Post

Meltonian used to make a grease and tar remover which is good for dealing with a caked on PoW wax build up if you can find it, or most product lines will include a cleaner/conditioner of sorts. If we're talking about a thin layer of wax after one bull shine attempt though, your regular cream will have enough solvent in it to break that down.

Generally if you use a wax-paste polish with no silicon in it , you wont have any problem to dissolve the mirror shine layer by using a cleaner conditioner( renovateur from saphir and lexol leather cleaner) ll do the trick easily !!  if you have a lot of layers added or a silicon based product(parade gloss from kiwi etc) you ll need something more drastic like RenoMat (in this case too you dont need to rub hard and by using a towel with 2 passes you ll be ok)

post #12493 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycth View Post

How do you remove the layer of wax (on the toes and heels of course biggrin.gif)? Cutex?

Cutex has acetone in it. Use extremely cautiously. It will strip not only the wax but the finish underneath.

As for actually removing or leveling the wax...isn't that what Reno is supposed to do? I don't know--Rider introduced me to Reno several years ago but I really don't have any use for it except on my own personal shoes. Probably not a valid sample.
post #12494 of 19072
Guardsman makes an excellent product for removing built up wax:
http://www.shopguardsman.com/detail/TCL+470800
It's safe and effective.
Make sure that you condition and polish after using it.
post #12495 of 19072
^ thank you so much for posting. I have a pair of light colored alden shells with dark buildup all over the boot. Hopefully it works
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**