or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 819

post #12271 of 19038
In order for wax to be completely occlusive you really need a ton of it on there. Even bulled toes have micro spaces where moisture gets through. Wax isn't a perfect barrier by any means.
post #12272 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

If water moisture have that much of difficulties getting out, how did it deep beneth the waxy finish in the first place?

When you walk, these will partially break, as they were in their cold, hard solid state. That is when the water attacks. Lack of moisture also makes the leather thirsty for some, and thus, as a true vegetable tanned leather, it will suck that moisture in like there's no tomorrow.

Hope this helps.
post #12273 of 19038
And as Pat put it there, the waxes in shell was impregnated, which means they don't sit atop the surface to perform the repellant function.
post #12274 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

In order for wax to be completely occlusive you really need a ton of it on there. Even bulled toes have micro spaces where moisture gets through. Wax isn't a perfect barrier by any means.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post


When you walk, these will partially break, as they were in their cold, hard solid state. That is when the water attacks. Lack of moisture also makes the leather thirsty for some, and thus, as a true vegetable tanned leather, it will suck that moisture in like there's no tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

 

By the same logic, moisture can get out the same way it get in.  Unless Cordovan has some Gore-tex like magic.

post #12275 of 19038
I don't know how it works, but it sure is an issue.
post #12276 of 19038

I have been playing rugby in a muddy field with my Oxford Shells and I would not mine to do it again for the same reason I did it....and they still continue to get nice comments.

post #12277 of 19038
Nice comments should be the sole driver of wearing nice shoes, right?
post #12278 of 19038

Ifyou say it, must be true!!

post #12279 of 19038

...and do not forget to avoid going again to a grocery store with your shells...you can getthem badlydamage just staring at them !!. It is an issue.

post #12280 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post



By the same logic, moisture can get out the same way it get in.  Unless Cordovan has some Gore-tex like magic.

There you go! Figure out the term wax impregnation and you'll see how mich senses it makes.
post #12281 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post


Makes sense. For what it's worth, my Alden shell seems a lot tougher than my Rancourt or C&J shell, despite the fact that Rancourt and Alden both use Horween shells.

Alden shells were heavily coated with some sort of bullshit coating. Notice how it gets scuff horribly and takes forever to buff out. It's like they dumped some kind of cosmetic product on the poor piece.

post #12282 of 19038

Based on what I see above I'd be worried about pee spraying on my Cordovan if I owned a pair.  I'll have to reconsider buying a pair in the future.

post #12283 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Here's just a current example of why shell sucks. I got these spots just selecting moist produce from the grocery store. A couple of droplets is all it takes. These cannot be brushed, or buffed away. How to get rid of them? Renomat, elbow grease and building back up the finish. Such a royal pain in the ass. Shell sucks. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

St Crispin's right? Have you tried sending them that picture to see if there's anything they can do?

I remember when you abandoned calf shoes as they were all cracking in favour of shell, are you still sticking with shell or will you be moving on to another leather type?
post #12284 of 19038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
 

Based on what I see above I'd be worried about pee spraying on my Cordovan if I owned a pair.  I'll have to reconsider buying a pair in the future.

Well, if you are worried of cosmetic defects, then don't. Otherwise, shell will stand.

post #12285 of 19038

I agree with PB...Shell sucks.

 

It is fickle and a pain in the ass to deal with.

 

Calf is much better in every regard. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**