or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 816

post #12226 of 19072
Seems that the ones with the biggest shoe problems here fall in two camps.

A) Take zero care of shoes and/or have old worn shoes to begin with. No shoe trees, no regard for weather, no nothing.

B) put way too much crap in their shoes and then find themselves seeking solutions to undo the mess they have made.

Maybe good shoe care by using trees, keeping them dry, wiping them free of dirt and brushing; and occasional application of a "little" conditioner or cream or wax is all it needs to preserve.
post #12227 of 19072
@Munky good question about brushes. I do not wear any black shoes and I also only use neutral polish and wax so I use one big brush for all dusting and buffing.

Admittedly, I maintain the sole side of the waist and the sole edges with cleaners and wax so I use another black brush for that "dirty" work.

My thought process is: unless if you use black polish on occasion and also maintain very light shoes, I imagine the pigment transfer DW spoke of would be marginal.
post #12228 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post

@Munky good question about brushes. I do not wear any black shoes and I also only use neutral polish and wax so I use one big brush for all dusting and buffing.

Admittedly, I maintain the sole side of the waist and the sole edges with cleaners and wax so I use another black brush for that "dirty" work.

My thought process is: unless if you use black polish on occasion and also maintain very light shoes, I imagine the pigment transfer DW spoke of would be marginal.

There's a problem with using dusting brush for polishing - it jams the grimes and dirts back into the leather. My advice - be aware of that scary phenomenon. 

post #12229 of 19072

What are the pros and cons of Dainite soles?

post #12230 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

What are the pros and cons of Dainite soles?

Pros
1. Easy to care for
2. Last a long time
3. Good in the rain
4. Can be perceived as informal

Cons
1. Can be perceived as informal
2. Some say it limits breathability
3. Can be stiff in the cold
4. Take longer to break in
5. Slippery on ice
post #12231 of 19072

Thanks, Jerry, that's very helpful!  :cheers:

post #12232 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

Regarding AE shits, it's kinda washable, so I guess water based ink was used.

once i removed it from a friends pair i used renomat so i cant be sure!!  thanks for the info travers!!

post #12233 of 19072

I used to wash a whole load of these inks off of my boots' sole and heel edges, which, in the process, expose the raw leather of the sole and heel edges, so I learn to know and hate this kind of shitty treatment. 

 

Once the finish is torn off of the leather, shell will be dull, and calf will be rough as raw stone.

post #12234 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post

Seems that the ones with the biggest shoe problems here fall in two camps.

A) Take zero care of shoes and/or have old worn shoes to begin with. No shoe trees, no regard for weather, no nothing.

B) put way too much crap in their shoes and then find themselves seeking solutions to undo the mess they have made.

Maybe good shoe care by using trees, keeping them dry, wiping them free of dirt and brushing; and occasional application of a "little" conditioner or cream or wax is all it needs to preserve.

 

 

Very well said. As enthusiasts, many of us (myself included) start out wanting to do more to enjoy the hobby. This can lead to over caring for one's shoes and it's easy to go overboard.  Ideally one should inevitably strike more of a balance and end up somewhere nearer your third point.

 

With that said, this thread can be entertaining. Having read and participated for some time now...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I do get a kick out of the patterns. On a fairly regular basis, an individual will pop in here with question after inane question. Within a week or two, that same person is answering the next new guy's inane questions with information gathered from his own questions the week prior. The process completes the circle when the first individual starts debating the merits of shoe care with the guys who answered his questions in the first place.

 

The phenomenon is certainly not unique to the shoe care thread, but has happened so often over the years it fun to watch.

post #12235 of 19072

something a little uncommon!! i had some free time today so i thought lets treat our soles!!

sorry for the photo light was a little bit off

post #12236 of 19072

Interesting...What´s the treatment if may I ask?.  Any functional purpose?.

post #12237 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post

Interesting...What´s the treatment if may I ask?.  Any functional purpose?.

To stain a nice, off-white, Berber carpet, perhaps?
post #12238 of 19072
What's the best way to polish sole edges? I have a dressing from either AE or kiwi in black for sole edges, but need it for a few Brown shoes.

Is cream polish effective on edges? Or will that wear off too quickly?

Maybe a 2oz sample of brown paint from the local hardware store? Thanks.
post #12239 of 19072
I used to be really anal about the sole edges. Now, I can't even remember the last time I treated them. The older I get the less I care. Hate to see how I am at 35...
post #12240 of 19072
I use fiebings sole dressing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**