or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 798

post #11956 of 19072
Well, it rains here more than in Seattle believe it or not. So, imo, no, shitty place for shell.
post #11957 of 19072
Shell is always great for igents
post #11958 of 19072
so, brushes, rags Lexol (which I already have) and some polish (Meltonian?) and i should be on my way?

how can i waterproof my boots (Wolverine 1k Mile and JCP Stafford Deacon) prior to wearing? i am in NYC and will be dealing with all types of weather.

also is the process typically Brush --> Condition --> Brush --> Polish --> Buff

thanks again.
post #11959 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

so, brushes, rags Lexol (which I already have) and some polish (Meltonian?) and i should be on my way?

how can i waterproof my boots (Wolverine 1k Mile and JCP Stafford Deacon) prior to wearing? i am in NYC and will be dealing with all types of weather.

also is the process typically Brush --> Condition --> Brush --> Polish --> Buff

thanks again.

I personally wouldn't use meltonian.
post #11960 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I personally wouldn't use meltonian.

ugh ffffuuuu.gif

i am a simple man and this shoe care stuff seems to be a difficult endeavor. seems (like most things in life, i suppose) everyone has a different opinion.

i have had people say to both use and not use Lexol. use and not use meltonian. lol. are there any constants in shoe care other than the use of shoe trees?

the only thing i really care about is weather-proofing and longevity. the perfect shine is not nearly as important.
post #11961 of 19072
Feet maybe.
post #11962 of 19072
also, how does something like this happen? (i may have posted this before)

they are Alden Cape Cod loafers. as you can tell, i obviously have no idea how to care for my shoes and want to avoid this happening in the future but i assume that it is somewhat unavoidable and all the care in the world wouldn't prevent the sole from cracking like that?

post #11963 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

also, how does something like this happen? (i may have posted this before)

they are Alden Cape Cod loafers. as you can tell, i obviously have no idea how to care for my shoes and want to avoid this happening in the future but i assume that it is somewhat unavoidable and all the care in the world wouldn't prevent the sole from cracking like that?

The sole is not cracking. That's a bon welt and it is probably made of leatherboard/shoddy or a really poor grade of leather.

IMO, its only real function is ornamental.
post #11964 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

The sole is not cracking. That's a bon welt and it is probably made of leatherboard/shoddy or a really poor grade of leather.

IMO, its only real function is ornamental.

oh, interesting. thanks.
post #11965 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

ugh ffffuuuu.gif

i am a simple man and this shoe care stuff seems to be a difficult endeavor. seems (like most things in life, i suppose) everyone has a different opinion.

i have had people say to both use and not use Lexol. use and not use meltonian. lol. are there any constants in shoe care other than the use of shoe trees?

the only thing i really care about is weather-proofing and longevity. the perfect shine is not nearly as important.

Shoe horn.

Waterproofing spray.

The only sure fire way to increase longevity is to increase the number of shoes in your rotation.
post #11966 of 19072
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Well, it rains here more than in Seattle believe it or not. So, imo, no, shitty place for shell.

If you're talking about appearance issue of shell, then to many individuals, yes. Welts can play hard on many owners. Otherwise, I find shell pretty awesome in rain.

post #11967 of 19072

Except that it is much worse than calf in the rain...but other than that it is excellent in the rain!

post #11968 of 19072
I used to be all about shell, but fuck shell for realz.
post #11969 of 19072

The best leather in the rain is elephant. 

post #11970 of 19072
I have no knowledge of elephant leather, but I wouldn't doubt it. I bet DW would say Kangaroo is the best.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**