or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 796

post #11926 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

That helps. Sure.

 

I don't know if you agree, but I'd say brushes are shoes' best friend, don't you say so, too?

Depending on the brush and the leather but Generally speaking thats true!!

post #11927 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Sounds like a good way to ruin a brush.

Anytime you're applying a heavy grease/dubbin such as Obenaufs it will benefit from a little gentle heat to force it into the leather.

Brushing any oily/ greasy leather, however, esp. if the grease is on the surface will only clog a good horsehair brush...and that grease will be difficult to remove from the brush.

If you feel there's too much grease on the surface, either warm it or put less on to begin with.
So true! Obenaufs gunks up brushes like there's no tomorrow.
post #11928 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

hey guys, JUST starting to get into shoe/boot care and would like some advice.

i own Clark's Desert Boots, Wolverine 1k Miles, and the Stafford Decon dress boot from JCP

what i plan on getting:
Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP
Horsehair brush
Some rags

what else do i need and are there specific brands i should keep an eye out for?

thanks.

 

Lexol conditioner. Buy the large orange jug off Amazon.

 

Optional:

GK high shine wax (neutral), if you want any sort of shine...probably not for non-dress boots, I guess

post #11929 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post

Lexol conditioner. Buy the large orange jug off Amazon.

Optional:
GK high shine wax (neutral), if you want any sort of shine...probably not for non-dress boots, I guess

AFAIK, the orange container is cleaner, not conditioner. It's been that way since before I got into the Trade. unless they've changed something?
post #11930 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


AFAIK, the orange container is cleaner, not conditioner. It's been that way since before I got into the Trade. unless they've changed something?

 

You are correct; I was being lazy. My jug is more brown than orange, and it's a square-ish jug with a handle. I didn't like what it did to the shine on my cordovan boots, so I bought some GK high shine neutral polish to see if that'll restore the luster. Maybe I'll get a deer bone.

 

I originally got the Lexol because I read it's good for so many leather types, including on shoes and car leather.

post #11931 of 19067
Lexol is good, but it will disrupt wax finishes and will have to be polished over. Any conditioner that actually soaks in and works will disrupt a finish to where you need to put work into it to make it look better. Conditioners that make your shoes shiny are really more polishes and are just fooling you into thinking that looking shiny = more conditioned.
post #11932 of 19067
Thanks. Your points about Reno being a better polish than conditioner are noted. I figured I'd get the best product for each purpose: cleaner, conditioner, polish.

Hence, the Lexol plus GK High Shine wax (neutral) and occasional deer bone. I can use cordovan creme if I need a touch up once in a blue moon.

Thought about practicing on old pairs off the Bay.
post #11933 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

So true! Obenaufs gunks up brushes like there's no tomorrow.

The only place on dress shoe where Obenauf is good is the leather soles. Sparingly, leave over night.
post #11934 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post

Thanks. Your points about Reno being a better polish than conditioner are noted. I figured I'd get the best product for each purpose: cleaner, conditioner, polish.

Hence, the Lexol plus GK High Shine wax (neutral) and occasional deer bone. I can use cordovan creme if I need a touch up once in a blue moon.

Thought about practicing on old pairs off the Bay.

Honestly "cleaning" isn't really necessary unless you step in deep mud or something. Keeping too many heavy oils and waxes off the vamp and brushing before and after wear is all that is really needed in terms of cleaning.
post #11935 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Honestly "cleaning" isn't really necessary unless you step in deep mud or something. Keeping too many heavy oils and waxes off the vamp and brushing before and after wear is all that is really needed in terms of cleaning.

I always thought a damp cloth helps prior brushing. What's your opinion though?

post #11936 of 19067
Seems unnecessary. I don't understand the need for damp cloths. Why expose leather to more water than necessary?
post #11937 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post



The only place on dress shoe where Obenauf is good is the leather soles. Sparingly, leave over night.

 



I want to apply Montana Pitch Blend on my leather soles on these Alden boots. Good call.
post #11938 of 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Seems unnecessary. I don't understand the need for damp cloths. Why expose leather to more water than necessary?

Damp cloths remove dirt and debris better than dry cloths, e.g., wet towelettes.
post #11939 of 19067
If you can't remove dust and dirt with a brush you're putting too much shit on your shoes.
post #11940 of 19067
i wear my shoes. Suburb style.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**