or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 780

post #11686 of 19043
Correct me if I'm wrong but outside of a recraft, I'd say those are fucked mate!
post #11687 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

Dudes I've been neglecting my Alden loafers (thrifted)

Help me being them back to life?

That can be cemented down. But FYI, it is fiberboard/ "shoddy"--that's why it is broken.
post #11688 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but outside of a recraft, I'd say those are fucked mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

That can be cemented down. But FYI, it is fiberboard/ "shoddy"--that's why it is broken.

care to explain. i am green when it comes to shoes. i thought they were rubber soles (Vibram)

also, while not top-of-the-line Alden (Cape Cod line), i didn't expect them to be "shoddy".

thanks
post #11689 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post
 

:cheers: 

 

I am clumsy and dumb, and I can use a bone without a scratch on my shell. I even smoothed out the edges on AE shoes with the deer bone from Abbeyhorn.

 

Doggone my life, DW.

 

   you needta give yourself a break. if you purchased the bone from a shoe care retailer, they inevitably have

   hairline cracks in them which - oddly enough - will scratch leather when you use it.

post #11690 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post


care to explain. i am green when it comes to shoes. i thought they were rubber soles (Vibram)

also, while not top-of-the-line Alden (Cape Cod line), i didn't expect them to be "shoddy".

thanks

He means the welt edge (the part that's broken). The leather looks like it's seen better days, too. Are those cracks?
post #11691 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

He means the welt edge (the part that's broken). The leather looks like it's seen better days, too. Are those cracks?

Another photo

dTQ2fnD.jpg
post #11692 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post


care to explain. i am green when it comes to shoes. i thought they were rubber soles (Vibram)

also, while not top-of-the-line Alden (Cape Cod line), i didn't expect them to be "shoddy".

thanks
Apologies; I was referring to the broken and apparently separated welt. Midsole possibly leather board. I agree they look cracked too
post #11693 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

i didn't expect them to be "shoddy".

thanks

The "welt" is not a real welt, IMO. I suspect it is a bon welt or a midsole. It looks like fiberboard to me. Fiberboard and/or leatherboard are artificial materials made up of ground leather or paper/wood products held together in a matrix of rubber or neoprene.

And the stitching is just for show. Real leather would not crack like that and it would not separate from the second midsole if it had actually been stitched through...not without leaving some indication of thread in the gap.

Shoddy is a real thing not just a description--


"I've told this story many times here on SF but just a few minutes thinking about it reveals a whole panoply of interesting conclusions:

During the Am. Civil War the South, not having access to the industrial capacity of the North could not keep up with the demand for woven woolen fabrics to make uniforms and overcoats, etc.. So they began gathering up the scraps of fabric from the cutting room floor, and shredding them prior to making a slurry of resulting wool fiber and water. This was felted and the resulting "fabric" made in into the clothing so desperately needed for the troops.

However, at the first serious rainfall many of the uniforms just simply fell apart. (as does most particleboard if you get it wet)

The felted fabric made from those scraps was called "shoddy" and of course that word has come down to us through the years to be synonymous with poor quality.

By every definition, by every objective and/or functional standard, leatherboard and fiberboard are the 21st century equivalent of shoddy."
post #11694 of 19043
Which part of it is fiberboard?
post #11695 of 19043

its look good
 

post #11696 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Which part of it is fiberboard?

The supposed "welt." I beleve it is either a bon welt or a "midsole." See my explanation in post 11695.^^^
post #11697 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGent View Post

   you needta give yourself a break. if you purchased the bone from a shoe care retailer, they inevitably have
   hairline cracks in them which - oddly enough - will scratch leather when you use it.

I don't see why it would ever scratch. Been using it extensively and haven't seen itself cracking ot scratching my shell shoes.
post #11698 of 19043
this is all a bit over my head, my apologies. i THOUGHT alden was quality and that even their lower-tier (Cape Cod) would exhibit this.

is this typical of Alden's other lines? i don't wear these things hard. i commute to work in a car and sit at my desk all day. confused.gif
post #11699 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

this is all a bit over my head, my apologies. i THOUGHT alden was quality and that even their lower-tier (Cape Cod) would exhibit this.

is this typical of Alden's other lines? i don't wear these things hard. i commute to work in a car and sit at my desk all day. confused.gif

Well, how was the condition like when you thrifted those?

post #11700 of 19043
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

i don't wear these things hard. i commute to work in a car and sit at my desk all day. confused.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by traverscao View Post

Well, how was the condition like when you thrifted those?

+1. If you thrifted them, you have no idea what the previous owner did to them, unless you were lucky and thrifted them new.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**