^^ which is more or less how I interpreted pB's comments. Not that the rain damages the leather but that it looks like crap afterwards, so if the objective is to keep your shoes looking nice then shell's not the best bad-weather choice.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 10/19/16 at 2:44am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:38 am in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 9:09 am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 7:37 am in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 719post #10771 of 189279/28/14 at 11:45pmpost #10772 of 189279/29/14 at 8:58ampost #10773 of 189279/29/14 at 11:18ampost #10774 of 189279/29/14 at 11:42ampost #10775 of 189279/29/14 at 3:19pmApparently not all shell spots. Some samples do it a lot, some less, some not at all. Like blooming. Varies from lot to lot. So one could end up with shell that looks fine after the rain and some that will be covered with spots. No way to predict.
I don't think resistance to water spotting is a reason to buy these shoes.post #10776 of 189279/29/14 at 3:48pmpost #10777 of 189279/29/14 at 8:06pmJust bought a second hand pair of APC navy derbies. It's looking a bit faded, not quite navy anymore. Granted it could be the lighting, but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to darken it back up.
Oh, I also cleaned it up with some leather cleaner, and some of the dye looks to have come off.
EDIT: second not send.
Edited by tahonng - 9/29/14 at 8:50pmpost #10778 of 189279/29/14 at 8:07pmpost #10779 of 189279/29/14 at 8:49pmpost #10780 of 189279/30/14 at 3:26ampost #10781 of 189279/30/14 at 4:01amQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Yeah, your feet will be dry, but the leather will look like shit without an overhaul. In general shell with a thinner finish and not a lot of wax polish will look better than highly polished shell because it allows the water to evaporate without getting caught up in the wax.
Interesting, would this mean I would be better off using shell cream for maintenance instead of paste wax.post #10782 of 189279/30/14 at 8:53ampost #10783 of 189279/30/14 at 3:59pmQuote:
So after a week of "drying", the shoe looked the same. I decided to see whether more vinegar/water solution would slowly lighten them. It didn't seem to, so I decided to finish darkening that one panel. Surprisingly, the results are that bad:
I'd say this photo is a little more flattering than real life, especially at some angles, but it does get the point across. I think I have enough tools now to perhaps do a little more work in evening it out. I actually might give Reno'Mat a try on one of the darkest areas to see whether it will lighten it at all.
Thank you all for the advice in minimizing the damage of one stray onion from an oily Greek salad! ;)post #10784 of 189279/30/14 at 4:34pmpost #10785 of 189279/30/14 at 4:37pm
I will, I am not shell enthusiast but I bought a pair just to see what is it all about. I seem to remember Ron Rider specifically saying that shell should be worn in the rain. In addition some people claim that shell is virtually maintenance free but lately I have been hearing a different stories. I guess I will try it and see it for myself.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 1 second ago
- › FS: Perfect Navy Blazer! NWT Sartorial Saint Andrews 46 8R (Free... 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 3 minutes ago
- › Acronym Jackets? Any Thoughts? 4 minutes ago
- › WINTER TIE SALE!! All BNWT from TOM FORD, CESARE ATTOLINI and... 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 10 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...