or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 710

post #10636 of 19042
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1156 View Post

Fascinating insight. Yet, at some point leather itself seems like the kind of substance that should fail. What I mean is you could probably find some sort of space age material and production technique comparable to a hw leather shoe? Or is hw leather truly the best?

Yes, leather will eventually fail...depending on where and how it is used . But it is a preserved product derived from natural, renewable sources.

Of course, you could go to some space age product--almost certainly petro-chemically derived...further polluting the environment, killing other animals or making their lives miserable. And we could make these shoes with robots....throwing even more people on the welfare rolls, and increasing the dispair in the cities and the disparity between the rich and poor. .

In fact, there are innumerable shoes made just so--athletic shoes for one. "Jelly" clogs for another. Check it out they may very well be just what you're looking for.
post #10637 of 19042
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1156 View Post


Fascinating insight. Yet, at some point leather itself seems like the kind of substance that should fail. What I mean is you could probably find some sort of space age material and production technique comparable to a hw leather shoe? Or is hw leather truly the best?

 

Everything fails and everyone dies.  Only art is immortal.

post #10638 of 19042

You have the sensitivity of the true artist, chogall. I am not worthy to clean your shoes. 

post #10639 of 19042
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Yes, leather will eventually fail...depending on where and how it is used . But it is a preserved product derived from natural, renewable sources.

Of course, you could go to some space age product--almost certainly petro-chemically derived...further polluting the environment, killing other animals or making their lives miserable. And we could make these shoes with robots....throwing even more people on the welfare rolls, and increasing the dispair in the cities and the disparity between the rich and poor. .

In fact, there are innumerable shoes made just so--athletic shoes for one. "Jelly" clogs for another. Check it out they may very well be just what you're looking for.

Agreed, in addition, I have yet to see a man-made synthetic product that performs even close to leather. I played hockey for decades. In the 80's the makers switched from using leather for their boots to synthetics (plastic, sometimes, heavy duty nylon). Lang was the first company to make a splash in the market. The underground hockey world was in love with them. NHL players started using them. The promoters were getting their piece of the cake. To me they were horrible. Just a plastic shell around your foot. You lost natural control, at times you had to think about movements to compensate the failures of how the boot was capable of preforming. Depending on how often you played, every once in a while you needed new skates. At one point everything was plastic. No breathing, no molding, nothing....
I found a company out of Canada Roos. They made boots out of kangaroo leather. The only leather boot you can find at the time.
They were a bear to break in but, once you did they became an extension of your foot with a blade on it. If you skated with a thin (sani sock) you can hear a suction when you took the boot off.
I know this is a dramatic comparison to say a high-grade dress shoe. But, it does speak to the performance of leather vs anything I have seen man-made to date. Let alone the environmental issues.
post #10640 of 19042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post


I ran into all types of problems with my shell early on, what I found to be my problem was trying to complete the process too fast.

I had to go undo mistakes with some renomat, then let dry a day, then used some renovateur the next day, then the third day a very light treatment with saphire cordovan cream...brushing. then I literally dont have to do anything to them but brush. I am guessing in 6 months another renoveator and cream treatment.

I get some used shell shoes and follow the same procedure and works wonders.

You are talking about ae right? I spent a week removing the crap they loaded on my burgundy leeds. Used a half bottle of renomat and renovator to get down to the shell. Applied saphire cordovan cream thinly....very happy with now and just brush them

 

Ah, thanks for this. I looked at my shoes this morning and they weren't sticky anymore.  Still dull though, so I think some brushing is in order as I watch the US open!  

 

And yes, they are AE.  I got a bunch of dark brown crap off with the GK conditioner/cleaner, so I think am down to the shell.  I'll get some renomat too to keep in my back pocket in case I need to start over.

post #10641 of 19042

I just let teh caked on polish come off with wear (and accompanied brushing) over several months...

post #10642 of 19042
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post


I store cloth in closet after I clean them up. You might have the opposite habit of storing dirty laundry and dirty shoes in your closet.

People keep shoes in their closet? 

 

I have the habit of keeping them in the garage. 

 

So there is no logic. 

post #10643 of 19042

If I understand Chogall correctly I think he means that he stores his shoes in dustbags, and therefore doesn't need to brush them off prior to wearing as the dustbags keep them clean in between wears.  I have no idea what he's talking about with dirty laundry etc.

 

I don't store my shoes in dustbags and therefore brush them before each wear.  Still seems reasonable to me though that the post-wear brushing would be more important that pre-wear as you're likely to pick up more dirt/dust etc. while walking about.

post #10644 of 19042

I store my shoes in dustbags in their boxes...and thus do not brush before wearing...just after.

post #10645 of 19042

Try the Saphir Renomat. Its not as strong as a mineral spirit or the Saphir Decapant, but not as weak as the Renovateur. It works great for removing layers of old polish.

post #10646 of 19042

I have managed to locate a supplier in Sweden who is prepared to send me some GlenKaren products. Am I right in thinking that the High Shine Polish is used in the same was as 'wax' polish? Would it be reasonable to put a thin coat of Cream Shoe Polish on, followed by the High Shine Polish? I forgot I was allergic to turpentine in traditional polish and after a summer of cleaning shoes outside in the sun, I cleaned quite a few inside and now have obstructed airways! GlenKaren certainly seems to be the first - and perhaps only- choice in this department. Thanks, in advance, for your considered views. Yours, as always, Munky. 

post #10647 of 19042
Munky, could you please PM me the source?
post #10648 of 19042

Still looking for a non-turpentine solution. Is Saphir Nappa Leather Cream suitable for calf leather shoes?

post #10649 of 19042
Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but how do people re-attach insoles? Glue or something else?
post #10650 of 19042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

I have managed to locate a supplier in Sweden who is prepared to send me some GlenKaren products. Am I right in thinking that the High Shine Polish is used in the same was as 'wax' polish? Would it be reasonable to put a thin coat of Cream Shoe Polish on, followed by the High Shine Polish? I forgot I was allergic to turpentine in traditional polish and after a summer of cleaning shoes outside in the sun, I cleaned quite a few inside and now have obstructed airways! GlenKaren certainly seems to be the first - and perhaps only- choice in this department. Thanks, in advance, for your considered views. Yours, as always, Munky. 

I'm no expert with GK products but I use them as advertised on the site. It would be perfectly reasonable to use the Cream Shoe Polish followed by the HIgh Shine Paste. I personally use the neutral Cream Shoe Polish for most of the shoe and then apply the High Shine Paste to the toe and rear quarters. Occasionally I'll put a layer or two of the HSP all over.

Great overall products IMHO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**