or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 697

post #10441 of 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

AlChal,

From what I can see on the internet, your Saint Laurent Paris chelsea boots are far from being 'just designer shoes'. They appear to be hugely expensive!

Yeah, but possibly for no good reason.
post #10442 of 11924

I take your point, Patrick, but we must live in hope!

post #10443 of 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

AlChal,

 

From what I can see on the internet, your Saint Laurent Paris chelsea boots are far from being 'just designer shoes'. They appear to be hugely expensive!  Do take Patrick's advice. Enjoy your shoes - I bet they look really good! :)

 

Best wishes,

Munky

 

Thank you :)

I said that they are "just designer shoes" because I recognize that, even if they are expensive and seem to be of good quality, they lack those details that can make the difference between a good shoe and an excellent shoe(for example, the sole is not stitched, just glued).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Yeah, but possibly for no good reason.

 

Of course they have a huge mark up, I'm conscious of this, but it was love at first sight with these boots ahahah!

However, I still have a whole life to make better purchases, these shoes are just the first of what I hope will be a long series :p

post #10444 of 11924

Keep at it, AlChl!  :happy:

post #10445 of 11924

Barneys sales are a great place for designer boots (I've been occasionally tempted by the "80% off!!!" deals) but I've stayed away for the most part (bought none of those in the last three years). It also helps that many of those sleek offerings look incongruent with my build :embar:

post #10446 of 11924
99% of what Barney's sells is absolute junk.
post #10447 of 11924

On refection, is it really possible to pay £600-£700 for a pair of cemented soled shoes? It seems that it is. Despite my words of encouragement, Al, do take some advice on your next pair of shoes and listen to the experts on here (pB et al)  :bounce2: 

post #10448 of 11924
Not to put too fine a point on it but if you trimmed the edge of a cement construction outsole a little wide, and applied a bon welt, and then stitched through the bonwelt and the outsole, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a GY welted shoe. And why should they? In point of fact, they are both cement constructions.

And FWIW, I don't think £600-£700 is the extreme end of the price range for GY. puzzled.gif
post #10449 of 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

99% of what Barney's sells is absolute junk.
These are kinda nice.

http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=503395833&q=crockett%20jones&index=4
post #10450 of 11924

DWF,

I take your points very well. I was responding to Al's remark that they weren't welted but glued. While I image that £600-£700 may not be the upper limit for GW, I thought, perhaps, that it might be towards the top end for cemented shoes. Best wishes, Munky.

post #10451 of 11924

I recently started chasing my dream of mirror shine... after extensive search of this forum i discovered Saphir MOD and invested in it. After 3-4 months of trial and error, i felt satisfied with the results, though I would appreciate forum members views on the result... the shoes have been massaged with Saphir Reno, Pommadier cream polish and finally Saphir MOD wax polish.

 

I hope I am able to achieve better results in time to come..

 

  

   

   

post #10452 of 11924
One thing about Saphir wax that I don't like is that I feel there is too much solvent in it. It takes a long time to dry before you have to start buffing or adding water to begin a mirror shine. Every tin of Saphir I have had I have cut an "X" into it and left it open for a few days to dry out.
post #10453 of 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

DWF,
I take your points very well. I was responding to Al's remark that they weren't welted but glued. While I image that £600-£700 may not be the upper limit for GW, I thought, perhaps, that it might be towards the top end for cemented shoes. Best wishes, Munky.

Munky,

I know...

That said, I learned a valuable lesson in the five or six years I sat on the board of directors for a venture capital firm (it's a long story)--namely that if people will pay a price, it is, ipso facto, worth that price. I don't agree with that proposition but the government does and that's all that counts in the context.

In my experience it all comes down to perception. What influences perception is another matter.

My point was simply that since there is no fundamental difference between a cement sole shoe and a GY shoe, there is no reason why the cement shoe shouldn't be £600-£700. It's only a question of perception.
post #10454 of 11924

I maintain that things don't have 'intrinsic' worth, in themselves. They are worth what people are prepared to pay for them. Another view is demonstrated by something  F1 boss, Bernie Eccleston: said: 'you can have anything you want as long as you are prepared to pay over the odds for it'. He seems to  have recently demonstrated this in court. He also seems to be suggesting that things do have an absolute value and, if you are wealthy, you can pay more than this if you really want something. 

 

However...are there really no differences in terms of quality, aesthetics, durability  etc. between GW and cemented shoes? Do shoemakers flog GW over cemented shoes only for cynical, market driven reasons and are there really no important differences?

 

I imagine that not too many contributors to this site would willingly trade in their GW in favour of cemented shoes! Is it all smoke and mirrors? If a person was to order a pair of bespoke Lobb's shoes, is it likely that he might say 'don't worry about welting, just cement them.'

post #10455 of 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

I maintain that things don't have 'intrinsic' worth, in themselves. They are worth what people are prepared to pay for them. Another view is demonstrated by something  F1 boss, Bernie Eccleston: said: 'you can have anything you want as long as you are prepared to pay over the odds for it'. He seems to  have recently demonstrated this in court. He also seems to be suggesting that things do have an absolute value and, if you are wealthy, you can pay more than this if you really want something. 

However...are there really no differences in terms of quality, aesthetics, durability  etc. between GW and cemented shoes? Do shoemakers flog GW over cemented shoes only for cynical, market driven reasons and are there really no important differences?

I imagine that not too many contributors to this site would willingly trade in their GW in favour of cemented shoes! Is it all smoke and mirrors? If a person was to order a pair of bespoke Lobb's shoes, is it likely that he might say 'don't worry about welting, just cement them.'

Well, I think things do have intrinsic worth...how to define that is a tricky question. At the same time perception plays a very big...maybe even critical...part in worth. But that's because we are people talking to other people. Does love have no worth? Of course it does, but only in the context of other people. Our environment is people.

And that's not inconsequential in context...to worth, IOW...because we are the essential observer. The observer that decides--Schrödinger's cat.

When you come down to the fundamentals, if a shoe depends on cement to hold it together, it is cement constructed. Everything else is moot. It is not at all hard to imagine a shoe having the outsole attached entirely by cement that would be objectively more stable than the average high end GY shoe. All you need is a decent leather insole and the will to go that extra bit and whip stitch the upper to the insole. Even before the outsole is in place the shoe is stable.

Of course that cannot be said about either GY or standard cement construction. Without the outsole to maintain shape neither are stable.

When you come down to the fundamentals, cement is what holds both together and the presence or absence of a welt is almost just piping on the cake. The only putative advantage of GY is that the outsole can be replaced more easily than cement outsoles but if the upper is whipped to the insole that becomes almost incidental.

And yes, it all comes down to perception and how we arrive at our perceptions---for those who are...consciously or subconsciously...dependent on the opinion of others, perception of worth or quality in shoes is almost always dependent on what the manufacturers tell us. On what we are led to believe.

--
Edited by DWFII - 8/28/14 at 10:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**