Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 10/19/16 at 2:44am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on 10/25/16 at 8:32pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 10/25/16 at 2:26pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 679post #10171 of 189327/17/14 at 10:38ampost #10172 of 189327/17/14 at 10:40ampost #10173 of 189327/17/14 at 11:45ampost #10174 of 189327/17/14 at 7:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by Murlsquirl
Cross post from Carmina:
I did my research and read about the "Carmina squeak", but didn't find a solution. I have a few pairs, but only one right shoe makes a terrible squeak/creak when I walk. It is embarrassing. The issue is in the footbed and does not occur when I bend the shoes in my hand. With the shoes on, it starts immediately as my heel lifts from the ground. It also make the noise if I just rub my toes in the sole. It almost sounds like a damn duck quack. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Forgive me if I didn't use the correct terms when trying to describe where the sound is coming from.
I bought a pair of grensons last year which had the same problem. My guess was that the squeak came from the insole rubbing on the cork filler in the toe region, but I didnt bother to have them fixed and returned the pair.
if yours is beyond returnable condition you might try wearing them around the house (perhaps entertain your kid if you have children!) and wait for the footbed to settle and hope it goes away.post #10175 of 189327/17/14 at 7:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Murlsquirl
Cross post from Carmina:
I did my research and read about the "Carmina squeak", but didn't find a solution. I have a few pairs, but only one right shoe makes a terrible squeak/creak when I walk. It is embarrassing. The issue is in the footbed and does not occur when I bend the shoes in my hand. With the shoes on, it starts immediately as my heel lifts from the ground. It also make the noise if I just rub my toes in the sole. It almost sounds like a damn duck quack. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Forgive me if I didn't use the correct terms when trying to describe where the sound is coming from.Quote:
I had the same problem with a pair of G&Gs and read what happed to @patrickBOOTHso I had them resoled and then sold them. I know some pairs give a slight discreet noise , but I find that loud creak unacceptable. I would try to contact Carmina?post #10176 of 189327/17/14 at 8:20pmCreaking is generally from leather rubbing against leather but it could be leather rubbing against cork esp. if hot melt cork filler is used.
But you have so many places that leather can rub against itself if cements are applied so parsimoniously that they cannot form a sold bond.
Often in factory work especially, the heel block is supplied as a unit with each layer "bonded" the the previous one with pastes, which can breakdown when exposed to a lot of moisture. And to add to that problem, often times the heel block itself is simply nailed to the heel seat with little or no paste or cement. That right there is a surefire recipe for creaks.
Sometimes a paucity of paste in between the heel stiffener and the lining or the stiffener and the counter can be a source of creaking. And in most of these cases, re-soling never touches the problem.
The upshot is that creaks can come from near 'bout anywhere in the shoe but it is no accident that some makers never have problems with creaking and others seem to get a reputation for it.
If it's any consolation, there was a time when creaking shoes were considered high status simply because it indicated new shoes.post #10177 of 189327/17/14 at 9:57pmpost #10178 of 189327/18/14 at 10:08amQuote:Dardano's on Colorado. They have been in business since 1938, doing shoe repair. It's a family owned and operated business.Originally Posted by aglose
Does anyone know a competent cobbler in Denver? I have a pair of carmina loafers that came with a broken string (string loafers) it's more of a decorative piece anyways, so I asked Betty if she could send me a replacement string and she agreed she would. I just need the string affixed to the shoe where the old one was and the old one removed. I would prefer someone in Denver, but new York is also an option.
Disclaimer: I work there as a shoe shine. The review is based on work I have had done there, as well as what I see go out the door, not on my position as an employee.post #10179 of 189327/18/14 at 10:34ampost #10180 of 189327/18/14 at 10:46ampost #10181 of 189327/18/14 at 10:50ampost #10182 of 189327/20/14 at 7:36ampost #10183 of 189327/20/14 at 7:45ampost #10184 of 189327/20/14 at 7:59am
Just back from a few days in Singapore, with just one pair of shoes. I did a lot of walking, a lot of sitting and it was both hot and wet. I took a pair of shoe trees with me and they have survived very well! A few scuffs but nothing that I imagine won't come out with a good brushing or, perhaps, a bit of a clean. I will give them a 'rest' first.post #10185 of 189327/20/14 at 8:05amQuote:
No magic in a deer bone. A spoon would work as well. But if you're determined to use a bone, here's what you do:
Go down to you local butcher. Ask for a beef leg bone..."for your dog".... Hang it is the sun for a couple of days--the yellow jackets will strip the meat.
Saw it lengthwise. Don't try to break it--it will spiral fracture. Scrape, file, and sand it ( I run up to 5000 grit Abralon) to shape and smoothness. Polish with white tripoli or even Bon Ami.
Better than any deer bone.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › ISAIA Tuxedo Suit 48R/38x31 WORN 1x $3595 AquaSpider 2 minutes ago
- › Suspension Point – Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 9 minutes ago
- › Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation 9 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 11 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 13 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 13 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...