Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 6:32 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 6/29/16 at 3:02pm in Classic Menswear
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 6:33 am in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 7:25 pm in Classic Menswear
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** - Page 679post #10171 of 184897/17/14 at 10:38ampost #10172 of 184897/17/14 at 10:40ampost #10173 of 184897/17/14 at 11:45ampost #10174 of 184897/17/14 at 7:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by Murlsquirl
Cross post from Carmina:
I did my research and read about the "Carmina squeak", but didn't find a solution. I have a few pairs, but only one right shoe makes a terrible squeak/creak when I walk. It is embarrassing. The issue is in the footbed and does not occur when I bend the shoes in my hand. With the shoes on, it starts immediately as my heel lifts from the ground. It also make the noise if I just rub my toes in the sole. It almost sounds like a damn duck quack. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Forgive me if I didn't use the correct terms when trying to describe where the sound is coming from.
I bought a pair of grensons last year which had the same problem. My guess was that the squeak came from the insole rubbing on the cork filler in the toe region, but I didnt bother to have them fixed and returned the pair.
if yours is beyond returnable condition you might try wearing them around the house (perhaps entertain your kid if you have children!) and wait for the footbed to settle and hope it goes away.post #10175 of 184897/17/14 at 7:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Murlsquirl
Cross post from Carmina:
I did my research and read about the "Carmina squeak", but didn't find a solution. I have a few pairs, but only one right shoe makes a terrible squeak/creak when I walk. It is embarrassing. The issue is in the footbed and does not occur when I bend the shoes in my hand. With the shoes on, it starts immediately as my heel lifts from the ground. It also make the noise if I just rub my toes in the sole. It almost sounds like a damn duck quack. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Forgive me if I didn't use the correct terms when trying to describe where the sound is coming from.Quote:
I had the same problem with a pair of G&Gs and read what happed to @patrickBOOTHso I had them resoled and then sold them. I know some pairs give a slight discreet noise , but I find that loud creak unacceptable. I would try to contact Carmina?post #10176 of 184897/17/14 at 8:20pmCreaking is generally from leather rubbing against leather but it could be leather rubbing against cork esp. if hot melt cork filler is used.
But you have so many places that leather can rub against itself if cements are applied so parsimoniously that they cannot form a sold bond.
Often in factory work especially, the heel block is supplied as a unit with each layer "bonded" the the previous one with pastes, which can breakdown when exposed to a lot of moisture. And to add to that problem, often times the heel block itself is simply nailed to the heel seat with little or no paste or cement. That right there is a surefire recipe for creaks.
Sometimes a paucity of paste in between the heel stiffener and the lining or the stiffener and the counter can be a source of creaking. And in most of these cases, re-soling never touches the problem.
The upshot is that creaks can come from near 'bout anywhere in the shoe but it is no accident that some makers never have problems with creaking and others seem to get a reputation for it.
If it's any consolation, there was a time when creaking shoes were considered high status simply because it indicated new shoes.post #10177 of 184897/17/14 at 9:57pmpost #10178 of 184897/18/14 at 10:08amQuote:Dardano's on Colorado. They have been in business since 1938, doing shoe repair. It's a family owned and operated business.Originally Posted by aglose
Does anyone know a competent cobbler in Denver? I have a pair of carmina loafers that came with a broken string (string loafers) it's more of a decorative piece anyways, so I asked Betty if she could send me a replacement string and she agreed she would. I just need the string affixed to the shoe where the old one was and the old one removed. I would prefer someone in Denver, but new York is also an option.
Disclaimer: I work there as a shoe shine. The review is based on work I have had done there, as well as what I see go out the door, not on my position as an employee.post #10179 of 184897/18/14 at 10:34ampost #10180 of 184897/18/14 at 10:46ampost #10181 of 184897/18/14 at 10:50ampost #10182 of 184897/20/14 at 7:36ampost #10183 of 184897/20/14 at 7:45ampost #10184 of 184897/20/14 at 7:59am
Just back from a few days in Singapore, with just one pair of shoes. I did a lot of walking, a lot of sitting and it was both hot and wet. I took a pair of shoe trees with me and they have survived very well! A few scuffs but nothing that I imagine won't come out with a good brushing or, perhaps, a bit of a clean. I will give them a 'rest' first.post #10185 of 184897/20/14 at 8:05amQuote:
No magic in a deer bone. A spoon would work as well. But if you're determined to use a bone, here's what you do:
Go down to you local butcher. Ask for a beef leg bone..."for your dog".... Hang it is the sun for a couple of days--the yellow jackets will strip the meat.
Saw it lengthwise. Don't try to break it--it will spiral fracture. Scrape, file, and sand it ( I run up to 5000 grit Abralon) to shape and smoothness. Polish with white tripoli or even Bon Ami.
Better than any deer bone.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 44 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 47 seconds ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 2 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 3 minutes ago
- › 5-30 drop! Ralph Lauren Marlow Cordovan Size 10.5 by Crockett and... 4 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Pappy Van Winkle 15 from 2012 - Price Drop 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding