or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bank Dress Code
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bank Dress Code

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone,

I'm a teenager in High School and am doing an internship at a local bank. I'm going in to shadow someone the tomorrow but I wasn't told the dress code. It's a small local American bank in a mid to upper class town. What do you all think I should wear? Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 37
Some nice slacks/dress shirt/tie. Better to be overdressed than under..
post #3 of 37
I think if you go in wearing a tie, they'll be impressed that you can wear a tie. If you havent' been told the dress code and you own a suit, go in wearing the suit to be impressive.
post #4 of 37
Classic first interview. Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package. Take some notes, ask good questions, stay awake. Always "ma'am" and "sir" and "yes." Don't fidget, belch, or scratch. Show them you are not just another twerp. Deviate at you own risk.
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package. Take some notes, ask good questions, stay awake. Always "ma'am" and "sir" and "yes." Don't fidget, belch, or scratch.

Show them you are not just another twerp. Deviate at you own risk.

All this is the "ideal", but just try to get close you will be fine. Navy suit, white dress shirt, conservative tie, shine your shoes.

You are in high school, I doubt they expect an impressive resume. As mentioned, how you carry yourself will make the biggest impression.
post #6 of 37
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
Classic first interview.

Navy solid 2-button SBNL; white barrel cuff point collar; BB#1, maroon sold, or navy pin dot; black captoe, leather sole, very shiny. Belt to match. NO ps, links, or current fashion trends. Cell phone left in the car. Bring and present your resume package. Take some notes, ask good questions, stay awake. Always "ma'am" and "sir" and "yes." Don't fidget, belch, or scratch.

Show them you are not just another twerp. Deviate at you own risk.

I've worked in the banking industry for 6 years now. You could not possibly get better advice than this^.

Even if you knew exactly what they wear, I would advise dressing a step ahead of whatever the norm is.

D
post #8 of 37
and get a haircut.
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kslim View Post
Some nice slacks/dress shirt/tie. Better to be overdressed than under..

This is fine. If you have a suit & provided you are quite comfortable in it, wear it - otherwise a well ironed shirt, trousers and tie are great with a formal pair of shoes.

Just make sure you enjoy your internship and get as much as you can out of the experience.

Best of Luck
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_ace View Post
I've worked in the banking industry for 6 years now. You could not possibly get better advice than this^. Even if you knew exactly what they wear, I would advise dressing a step ahead of whatever the norm is. D
Thank you. I appreciate your comments. I usually get flamed when I trot out my standard rant for this dull, conventional stuff, so this is quite refreshing. (And, of course, in the glamour industries or outside the USA, things may be different.) Our hero is a clean cut young man who gets good grades, has never been busted, and doesn't get drunk on school nights. (At least some of) the competition will be hung over and dressed in cargo shorts. Anything in the direction of that very conventional setup can really help the candidate. It sure helped me...
post #11 of 37
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, since I'm a teenager I dont own any suits, mainly because ive grown about 3 inches a year for the last 5 years (finally leveling out at about 6'4"). However, I do have a black sport coat which i ended up wearing with a grey cardigan underneath and a white oxford with thin maroon checks with a maroon tie and dark grey trousers and black lace ups. The other male tellers were just in button downs with ties and khakis so i was a bit overdressed but im used to it because i usually am. Thanks again all! hopefully now i will be able to buy a nice suit for when i do need it.
post #12 of 37
[quote=CJH7111;4178891]so i was a bit overdressed [quote]

This is exactly where you want to be at a bank. You want to be one step ahead. You don't want to blend into the background.

Yes, start saving for a decent suit. A properly fitting, 2-button, solid navy one if at all possible. It would be best to have one of these in your closet and ready to go as soon as you reasonably can. You can flesh out the wardrobe from there, but do start there. I waited too long to start buying suits so it was very expensive for me to play catch up when the time came. Start early, it will pay you back in many ways for many years to come.

D
post #13 of 37
I would be on the safe side. Definitely wear a morning suit. Pack black tie in case you have to work late.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
I would be on the safe side. Definitely wear a morning suit. Pack black tie in case you have to work late.

post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH7111 View Post
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, since I'm a teenager I dont own any suits, mainly because ive grown about 3 inches a year for the last 5 years (finally leveling out at about 6'4"). However, I do have a black sport coat which i ended up wearing with a grey cardigan underneath and a white oxford with thin maroon checks with a maroon tie and dark grey trousers and black lace ups. The other male tellers were just in button downs with ties and khakis so i was a bit overdressed but im used to it because i usually am. Thanks again all! hopefully now i will be able to buy a nice suit for when i do need it.

Drop the cardigan - quite wrong.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bank Dress Code