or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quality Of Grenson Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quality Of Grenson Shoes - Page 3

post #31 of 131
I was just perusing the Grenson website and came across these that may be the much discussed 'G1':

http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/shop/acklam

http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/shop/egton

They generally look quite nice.

I don't really know why the new Grenson doesn't get a lot of love here: if you're a younger bloke then Grenson offer the best range of stylish shoes at affordable prices, and I'm not talking about RRP - it's very easy to pick up Grensons off of ebay, brand new, for about 60% off.
post #32 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post

I don't really know why the new Grenson doesn't get a lot of love here:

They made the mistake of associating their brand with outsourced Indian shoes and in that period of time, many people who bought those shoes because they were "affordable" became so disillusioned and aghast by the poor quality of the leather and manufacturing and that did alot of damage to the brand. Some of their outrageous fashion forward designs didn't help.

They are capable of making really good shoes though, as the past masterpieces have shown. Hopefully, the new range with upgraded specs can win some fans.
post #33 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post

They made the mistake of associating their brand with outsourced Indian shoes and in that period of time, many people who bought those shoes because they were "affordable" became so disillusioned and aghast by the poor quality of the leather and manufacturing and that did alot of damage to the brand. Some of their outrageous fashion forward designs didn't help.
They are capable of making really good shoes though, as the past masterpieces have shown. Hopefully, the new range with upgraded specs can win some fans.

Hmm, I've bought mostly their higher end Rushdens (£180+) and found them to be top notch, especially when it's easy to get them for more than half that on ebay. Admittedly, I haven't gone for the lower priced shoes, like the Dylans (which look awful) so perhaps that's where people are drawing their conclusions.
post #34 of 131
Does anyone know which Grenson model George Clooney is wearing on the cover of the latest Esquire?
post #35 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny58 View Post

Does anyone know which Grenson model George Clooney is wearing on the cover of the latest Esquire?


Looks like the Finn to me. Hard to tell from that angle though.

post #36 of 131

I recently purchased the Christian Boot. Does anyone know if they are part of the Rose or Rushden collection. If not, were they made in England or India?

 

Thank you!

post #37 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrensonMan View Post

I recently purchased the Christian Boot. Does anyone know if they are part of the Rose or Rushden collection. If not, were they made in England or India?

Thank you!

If it doesn't say "made in England" on the inside of the shoe they are made in India. Also, Rushden line has red insole cushioning, Rose line dark brown.
post #38 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweino View Post


If it doesn't say "made in England" on the inside of the shoe they are made in India. Also, Rushden line has red insole cushioning, Rose line dark brown.


India it is then. Red cushion and only the Grenson G where the heel goes. I am rather disappointed. I thought I owned a genuine made in England boot. And to top it off I payed $345 for them. Thank you for your response.

post #39 of 131

Do you think I over payed?

post #40 of 131
Yes, I do, But I think all current Grenson shoes are overpriced compared to their lineup a few years back. Nowadays all they have is made in India for almost the same price as they used to charge for made in England shoes (the Rose line). I mean, 200 UKP for made in India shoes? (see http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/shop)

I have many pairs of Grenson shoes and ordered one pair since the Tim Little takeover only to discover they have gone downhill quality wise. I would stay away from Grenson or try to find some old stock.
post #41 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweino View Post

I would stay away from Grenson or try to find some old stock.

+1
post #42 of 131

Thank you for your replies. I have to say that over all I am very happy with the boot. The price was a bit steep but I love the style of the Christian Boot and couldn't resist the temptation. My thoughts on quality- the stitching appears to be well done, lasts etc. The comfort is better than any shoe or boot that I have owned. The leather has a tendency to wrinkle, especially around the shin and tongue area. This may be typical of leather boots or an indication of the leather quality. I am not sure which.

 

It would appear that Grenson's quality has taken a hit since they moved their operation to India. Is their quality still better than most boots, or has it dropped to a level comparable to $100-$150 priced boots?

post #43 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrensonMan View Post

Thank you for your replies. I have to say that over all I am very happy with the boot. The price was a bit steep but I love the style of the Christian Boot and couldn't resist the temptation. My thoughts on quality- the stitching appears to be well done, lasts etc. The comfort is better than any shoe or boot that I have owned. The leather has a tendency to wrinkle, especially around the shin and tongue area. This may be typical of leather boots or an indication of the leather quality. I am not sure which.

It would appear that Grenson's quality has taken a hit since they moved their operation to India. Is their quality still better than most boots, or has it dropped to a level comparable to $100-$150 priced boots?

IIRC the Grenson Christian boot uses Corrected Grain leather and has a dainite type rubber sole (might even be dainite), if that's the one - it isn't a higher end boot, if not ignore the rest of my post!

Corrected Grain leather doesn't get much love on SF period. However given it's rubber sole, the fact that CG leather is quite good at dealing with the elements and that you like the comfort & fit - I say wear them in good health.

In terms of quality, difficult to say accurately but I think given the above they will be better than the average shopping mall boot and their styling has got to be worth a good few bucks too.
post #44 of 131
Old mid level Grenson use fiber board-glue insole,
very bad,
it give more heat in shoe and not absorb moisture good.
DW say more heat and moisture can mean slipped gemming in time.
What shoe like now,
fiber board-glue insole?
Masterpiece is very very good.
post #45 of 131

 

 

how much does it take for it to become clear that a company is producing sub-par shoes across the board?

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quality Of Grenson Shoes