or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quality Of Grenson Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quality Of Grenson Shoes - Page 2

post #16 of 133

I've got a lots of them, many are recent buys. Masterpiece/Stuarts Choice is very good. Rose is pretty good - leather is not on par with C&J though. In the Rushden line, I'd have to say that quality is declining overall, but you still can't dismiss the whole lot of them  - there are still very decently nice shoes in that line.

 

I'm satisfied with the quality of Nobles (uppers could be better, last shape is great but be warned it is quite narrow, sole/welt is pretty good), very satisfied with Stanleys/Williams (except avoid anything with Vibram soles -- glue job and fake welts possible), very pleased with 2 prs of 'Kirk' in really nice soft suede, Abraham ('bookbinder leather') is awful plastic-y upper, but very good solid construction, Derek (crepe/vibram sole) is horrible garbage.

 

I think it's the newest models that are getting poor in workmanship and should be avoided -- ?

 

 

post #17 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnjay View Post


I think it's the newest models that are getting poor in workmanship and should be avoided -- ?


+1
post #18 of 133

I was just looking on the Grenson site, but I don't understand all the different named shoes? How can you tell what are the masterpiece, and rose collection? I search for rose using their search tab, and one pair of shoes came up. Is this the only shoe in their rose line? 

post #19 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1985 View Post

I was just looking on the Grenson site, but I don't understand all the different named shoes? How can you tell what are the masterpiece, and rose collection? I search for rose using their search tab, and one pair of shoes came up. Is this the only shoe in their rose line? 

Hi Matt

AFAIK there are , at the moment, no Rose nor Masterpiece line shoes on the Grenson site. The G1 range , again AKAIK, will be on their site soon and will be the Rose equivalent. See the other Grenson thread for more info.
post #20 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post


Hi Matt
AFAIK there are , at the moment, no Rose nor Masterpiece line shoes on the Grenson site. The G1 range , again AKAIK, will be on their site soon and will be the Rose equivalent. See the other Grenson thread for more info.


Thank you for your reply kev777 I'll go check it out! 

post #21 of 133
i have a pair of the new line grensons and they are not poor in workmanship. it's not at rose/masterpiece level, nor is the leather, but then again they cost significantly less. they are IMO as good as or superior to loakes, which are in the same price range.
post #22 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_fries View Post

i have a pair of the new line grensons and they are not poor in workmanship. it's not at rose/masterpiece level, nor is the leather, but then again they cost significantly less. they are IMO as good as or superior to loakes, which are in the same price range.

Damage? Is it as listed on MrPorter ? 397GBP?
post #23 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_fries View Post

i have a pair of the new line grensons and they are not poor in workmanship. it's not at rose/masterpiece level, nor is the leather, but then again they cost significantly less. they are IMO as good as or superior to loakes, which are in the same price range.


 

I do like the look of some of the new grenson line. Have been a bit hesitant on getting a pair. Also been looking at Loakes too. They are more in my price range at the moment. Good to hear some good things about the grensons, i'll wait and see if anyone else has bought some lately.

 

post #24 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verniza View Post

Damage? Is it as listed on MrPorter ? 397GBP?

Your not talking like for like here, the Grensons Freedom has bought are the Rushden equivalent and not Rose/Masterpiece line. The £397 model is a G1 Line shoe.

Just as an aside if the shoes on Mr Porter are Rose equivlents for the money being asked that is a massive price hike altho in the States the price would be more in line.
post #25 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verniza View Post

Damage? Is it as listed on MrPorter ? 397GBP?

mr porter is one of the few places one can buy the high-level grensons, which i think is called the G1 range. They are not comparable with the newish line with names (fred, sharp, stanley, etc.), and are more than double the cost. the lower level shoes are made in india and finished in england, the upper level are made entirely in england, and from what I've seen are more at the C&J level.

i have a pair of sharp boots that i got for 80 GBP on a half-price sale, and if you're even slightly patient you can generally find them at 20-30% off.
post #26 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post

Your not talking like for like here, the Grensons Freedom has bought are the Rushden equivalent and not Rose/Masterpiece line. The £397 model is a G1 Line shoe.
Just as an aside if the shoes on Mr Porter are Rose equivlents for the money being asked that is a massive price hike altho in the States the price would be more in line.

Ahh my bad. I was under the impression that the shoes Freedom got was the G1 line.
post #27 of 133
do you guys know anything about the Lewis boot? I am us9.5/uk9, should i size up or down?
post #28 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_fries View Post


mr porter is one of the few places one can buy the high-level grensons, which i think is called the G1 range. They are not comparable with the newish line with names (fred, sharp, stanley, etc.), and are more than double the cost. the lower level shoes are made in india and finished in england, the upper level are made entirely in england, and from what I've seen are more at the C&J level.


Thanks for the information - so there are currently no high level (made in England) Grensons available online?

 

post #29 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post



Thanks for the information - so there are currently no high level (made in England) Grensons available online?

Grenson shoes are available on-line at Bonobos.com. They look promising. Made in England.
post #30 of 133

I concur with others that noted the quality is poor. A pair of derbies I have from them developed a rip where the shoe-lace tabs are stitched to the vamp within no more than three months, even though I kept them in my office and commuted in trainers!

 

They are made in England, but clearly that does not guarantee good quality...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quality Of Grenson Shoes