or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 54

post #796 of 8067
Here they are : more "orange-y" in real life. I take really bad pictures..shog[1].gif
dscn0762x.jpg.
If I could get them to look like the ones in the picture, I would be ecstatic!!
Cheers all!
post #797 of 8067

.

post #798 of 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046 View Post

Here they are : more "orange-y" in real life. I take really bad pictures..shog[1].gif
dscn0762x.jpg.
If I could get them to look like the ones in the picture, I would be ecstatic!!
Cheers all!

Shape of course cannot be changed. But I presume you have them on trees so they hold their shape as well as possible?

If you wish to darken them bear in mind it is a simple process but will take a few hours of rubbing/buffing to get there. I suggest that you will need at least two colors of cream shoe polish. The first in a medium brown just a few shades darker than they are now, and the second in a dark brown. If you try to go too dark at first you are likely to get 'blotchy' results and not blotchy in a good way. The boots look a little dry to me and if they are they will absorb the cream in an inconsistent way so you need to start with a color that is not too drastically different than what is there now. Test each polish color on an inconspicuos location before applying overall.

I would start with two coats of medium brown cream polish - quickly apply it to the entire boot and then go back over it rubbing in small circular motions quite firmly until the shine comes up. The idea is to create friction, which creates heat, which softens the polish. This combined with pressure from your firm rubbing will drive the pigment and conditioner deeper into the leather. You will probably find that it takes 10-15 minutes per boot per coat to get the shine to come up with this method - that is a good thing - rub rub rub and drive the color in deeply.

After two coats if they appear to be fairly even and you want darker still then move on to the same process with the dark brown.

This will be four coats of cream polish and will have taken you most of an evening if you applied enough rubbing to the process. Take a photo and send for further instruction. Or, if at any point you are concerned with what is happening take a photo and post for more instruction. While you are purchasing the cream polish I suggest you might also pick up some dark or navy blue as well - as you might need it to take out some of the orange color - if so this will need to happen after you already have the browns in place - we won't know until you get that far.

It's a really easy process - just don't try to go too dark too fast.
post #799 of 8067
After christmas i called Burlington Arcade to see what shoes they had on sale and decided to order three pairs. They arrived last week but i was out of town so i didn´t get them until today...

467
263
Wantage black suede, last 359

263
263
Brunswick

467
263
Somerville

263
Group shot smile.gif

I haven´t decided if i´m keeping all of them, i´m going to send back the Brunswick b/c it´s far to close to Clifford. (if someone want the shoe i sell them for the price i payed + shipping)
Wantage is a left over from MTO i think b/c i never seen it before and it´s really nice. Both Brunswick and Somerville are subs but Somerville is 100% as far as i can tell, Brunswick have a small difference in the colour on the side of the left shoe, took me some time to find that. That these shoes are sold as subs is a good prof of the standard CJ want to have.
post #800 of 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Shape of course cannot be changed. But I presume you have them on trees so they hold their shape as well as possible?
If you wish to darken them bear in mind it is a simple process but will take a few hours of rubbing/buffing to get there. I suggest that you will need at least two colors of cream shoe polish. The first in a medium brown just a few shades darker than they are now, and the second in a dark brown. If you try to go too dark at first you are likely to get 'blotchy' results and not blotchy in a good way. The boots look a little dry to me and if they are they will absorb the cream in an inconsistent way so you need to start with a color that is not too drastically different than what is there now. Test each polish color on an inconspicuos location before applying overall.
I would start with two coats of medium brown cream polish - quickly apply it to the entire boot and then go back over it rubbing in small circular motions quite firmly until the shine comes up. The idea is to create friction, which creates heat, which softens the polish. This combined with pressure from your firm rubbing will drive the pigment and conditioner deeper into the leather. You will probably find that it takes 10-15 minutes per boot per coat to get the shine to come up with this method - that is a good thing - rub rub rub and drive the color in deeply.
After two coats if they appear to be fairly even and you want darker still then move on to the same process with the dark brown.
This will be four coats of cream polish and will have taken you most of an evening if you applied enough rubbing to the process. Take a photo and send for further instruction. Or, if at any point you are concerned with what is happening take a photo and post for more instruction. While you are purchasing the cream polish I suggest you might also pick up some dark or navy blue as well - as you might need it to take out some of the orange color - if so this will need to happen after you already have the browns in place - we won't know until you get that far.
It's a really easy process - just don't try to go too dark too fast.

Hi Gdot,
Thanks for the writeup.
They are indeed on trees. I haven't conditioned them in a while, but I use Nubiana (last bottle). Should I condition them before I start?
I do have a mid brown cream polish so will try that first.
Just to let you know..I am S#*@ scared of what I am about to do to them...!
Cheers!
post #801 of 8067
Your biggest worry is blotchiness. If you have a conditioner I'd use it first. If the conditioner looks blotchy when first applied stop after conditioning and report back.
post #802 of 8067
Ok, I conditioned them..let them dry for about 5 minutes and then buffed them..maybe its the Nubiana, they have a nice shine on. No blotchiness that I can see.
post #803 of 8067
Great! No blotchiness is a good sign. It generally means that the leather has absorbed the conditioner evenly.

If you have a cream polish that is just a couple of shades darker brown than the boots you can start. I recommend doing two coats. Rub it in with vigor as previously mentioned - I cannot overstate how important this is. The professionals use a buffing wheel which really heats up the wax and drives the pigments and oils into the leather - to mimic this by hand takes a good bit of effort. Brush lightly between coats. If that goes on without blotchiness you can do two more coats of regular brown cream polish.

After that I'd stop, and do nothing more than brush them for a few wearings to see how it all settles in. You can easly get too much wax which will lead to cracks in the color. Hopefully by this point they will be quite a bit less bright anyway.

Again, if at any point you are uncomfortable stop, take a photo, and post.

To offer you some inspiration here's some not so great photos of a finish I recently created on a pair of C&J Drummonds.

263
263
263
Edited by Gdot - 1/16/12 at 9:25am
post #804 of 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046 View Post

Old Post..I know...but why do my Cottesmores look nothing like No. 1 in the bottom picture? These are GORGEOUS!!
Also are No. 3, Grenson Smiths?

Mine are a makeup for Barneys US and are a true dark brown, not the same color as yours. Probably not due to age.

I would not try to make them darker. Your color looks fine, many igents here prefer the lighter tans. there are plenty of dark brown boots you can get if that is what you want.

I believe the Grenson are called Smith.
post #805 of 8067
Dandie you really need to work on your white balance or to get a artificial light to daylight filter for your camera.

This is what your shoes should look like!

57641ddc_selbourne1.jpg
post #806 of 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace View Post

Cross-post.
Westfield from Barneys:
photo5.jpg

Nice. I've got a pair of these that should be arriving in a week or so. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #807 of 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

Great! No blotchiness is a good sign. It generally means that the leather has absorbed the conditioner evenly.

If you have a cream polish that is just a couple of shades darker brown than the boots you can start. I recommend doing two coats. Rub it in with vigor as previously mentioned - I cannot overstate how important this is. The professionals use a buffing wheel which really heats up the wax and drives the pigments and oils into the leather - to mimic this by hand takes a good bit of effort. Brush lightly between coats. If that goes on without blotchiness you can do two more coats of regular brown cream polish.

After that I'd stop, and do nothing more than brush them for a few wearings to see how it all settles in. You can easly get too much wax which will lead to cracks in the color. Hopefully by this point they will be quite a bit less bright anyway.

Again, if at any point you are uncomfortable stop, take a photo, and post.

To offer you some inspiration here's some not so great photos of a finish I recently created on a pair of C&J Drummonds.

263
263
263

Those look great. I suppose that would be the colour I would like to achieve!
post #808 of 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046 View Post

Old Post..I know...but why do my Cottesmores look nothing like No. 1 in the bottom picture? These are GORGEOUS!!
Also are No. 3, Grenson Smiths?

Mine are a makeup for Barneys US and are a true dark brown, not the same color as yours. Probably not due to age.

I would not try to make them darker. Your color looks fine, many igents here prefer the lighter tans. there are plenty of dark brown boots you can get if that is what you want.

I believe the Grenson are called Smith.

Tarmac,
No wonder..i think when I started my search for a pair of Cottesmores, a search brought yours up and thats what inspired me. I love them..but the C&J Chestnut, in my opinion is just a bit too burnt orange? Thank you for clarifying that your's is a completely different shoe, but I just have to tone these down a bit...or sell them...
post #809 of 8067
^ polish with brown. chestnut takes darker polish well. ive only applied a single coat on my cottesmore but the change is noticeably better, darker, richer
post #810 of 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046 View Post

Those look great. I suppose that would be the colour I would like to achieve!

Don't know if you will be able to get them this dark. But you should be able to get them quite a bit less bright than they are now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **