or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 423

post #6331 of 8498

A alternative to Dainite,  could also be Gumlite referencing the Trickers thread.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoehealer View Post
 

I have many customers in Snowy 'Finland', and also wear Tricker's Commando Soled models myself although here in England we don't have too much Snow.

My Finnish customers advise me that although Commando Soles do provide some Grip, in extreme Cold they can sometimes easily 'Clog' the Tread Pattern fairly quickly with snow and ice, rendering them not good at all.

General opinion suggests that the 'Ridgeway Sole' is a better option, as the Tread Pattern is more 'open' and so not as easy to clog.

Surprisingly, my customers also suggest the simple and light tread patterned Vibram Gumlite Sole is quite good in ice and snow, as although this is only a 'Fine' tread pattern, it doesn't clog up.

Waterproof?

Veldschoen is always a better option but quite rare. Pleanty of weather proofing products are always a good idea.

Having said all of this, Wellingtons are probably the best option in lots of snow, they just don't look as good.;-)

post #6332 of 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post


Spectacular boots! Are you in the US? Where did you purchase these bad boys from?

 

I don't know about his, but I purchased mine by calling the New York store.

post #6333 of 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post


Spectacular boots! Are you in the US? Where did you purchase these bad boys from?

I am in the US, I actually ordered mine from the Jermyn Street store.  They ended up quoting me ~$100 less than the NY store and I got a higher level of customer service there via email (the NY store price did not include shipping or shoe trees whereas the Jermyn store did).

post #6334 of 8498
So you ordered from Jermyn St. and they gave you free trees? That's awesome. Would you mind letting me know who you spoke to, I would really appreciate it.
post #6335 of 8498
Sorry I may not have stated that clearly. I asked for a quote from both stores. The Jermyn Street store gave me a quote that included shoes, shipping, and shoe trees. The NY store quoted me for the shoes only (no shipping or trees) and the price was $100 more than the quote from Jermyn. For that reason I find the UK stores to be more bang for your buck.
post #6336 of 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLex View Post

Sorry I may not have stated that clearly. I asked for a quote from both stores. The Jermyn Street store gave me a quote that included shoes, shipping, and shoe trees. The NY store quoted me for the shoes only (no shipping or trees) and the price was $100 more than the quote from Jermyn. For that reason I find the UK stores to be more bang for your buck.

^ Gotcha.
post #6337 of 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

@steffenbp11

We twinz, don't you just love em?


Very elegant

post #6338 of 8498
Quick question, I was going to pick up some Saphir Cordovan cream and am waffling between the dark brown and neutral for my Skye IIs, any thoughts?

I've used saphir for my cordovan and calf products in the past but would be open to other suggestions to as I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge here around Cordovan care.
post #6339 of 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLex View Post

Quick question, I was going to pick up some Saphir Cordovan cream and am waffling between the dark brown and neutral for my Skye IIs, any thoughts?

I've used saphir for my cordovan and calf products in the past but would be open to other suggestions to as I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge here around Cordovan care.
I personally use neutral on my shell. I don't like to add any color to them (unless they need it like one pair I have).
post #6340 of 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I personally use neutral on my shell. I don't like to add any color to them (unless they need it like one pair I have).

I am the same way. I stick with neutral for all my shell. If it gets to the point where they lighten too much, I may reconsider.
post #6341 of 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by soender View Post
 

A alternative to Dainite,  could also be Gumlite referencing the Trickers thread.

 


I agree that gumlite is an alternative to dainite. I don't have a pair of dainite yet to compare it to but I think gumlite is overlooked often. I'm wearing one as I type on my black connaught but it offers excellent comfort and grip. Its a bit thick for the purists but welt threads arounds the toes don't erode either so its visually quite pleasing as well.

post #6342 of 8498

 

 


Edited by TweedyProf - 3/24/14 at 8:45am
post #6343 of 8498

Up to you...but I think with some good polish and care you can resolve those issues...

 

Post it in the Shoe Care thread... http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc/8520#post_7012547

post #6344 of 8498
Just use polish to cover up minor nits. If these were one of the $250 warehouse deals then they're a steal, even if you do have to add some polish. If you don't like the last that's a different story (and one that I can help you with if they're 8.5UK).
post #6345 of 8498

THanks PCK1 and jssdc. Will follow your suggestions and polish them off.

 

What's the next step down from the 348 last in terms of slightly less tapering/elongated toe but still with an elegant profile? The 348 is growing on me as I see more pics of it (e.g. above from Cleav and Steffanbp), but my brain is going to have to get used to that extra 1/4 inch in the toe relative to other shoes lest I stub my toe on steps, which would be a disaster. I like the Carmina Rain last, if that provides a reference point.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **