or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 414

post #6196 of 7597

They've been doing that for a while.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/57381/official-paul-smith-shoe-thread-all-ps-shoe-questions-here/3990#post_4464070
post #6197 of 7597
Quote:
annoyingly large font below... (Click to show)
Originally Posted by RBNYC View Post
 

Hi

I've recently bought my first CJ pair. The Black Alex. But I was under the impression UK and US were .5 to 1 size apart. So when I went in to CJ store in Manhattan and was told I was a 9E in UK sizing, I chalked it up to a CJ-specific thing. Only today did I think to pull out an American shoe in the size I usually order stateside: The AE Woodstock. Granted one's an oxford and the other a loafer but I decided to compare them both heel-to-heel anyhow. Um so the Alex UK 9E was about an inch longer than the AE 11.5!!! That makes the difference, even with allowance for style variation, closer to 3 sizes difference. Every chart I've read online goes no farther than a one-inch difference between US and UK sizing. Has anyone else noticed this? Does CJ in fact have a sizing all their own, independent from universal UK sizing? How many shoe sales have I missed in Europe because I thought I was outside the realm of sizes on sale? Some sweet Carminas come to mind, for example.

 

 

 

@RBNYC - first off please use normal sized font. the large font was terribly irritating.

 

second, their sizing is very different from the standard UK sizes you find in other brands such as G&G, EG, Churchs, etc.

 

I would recommend trying on C&J's before purchasing them as their sizes are quite different.

 

For example, in US sizes I am generally a 12D which translates to me being a UK11.5E in most brands. However, with C&J in the 348 Last I am a 10.5 and in other C&J lasts I am an 11.

post #6198 of 7597
Quote:

They're pricey (about $700).
post #6199 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post

@RBNYC
- first off please use normal sized font. the large font was terribly irritating.

+1. That font was at least 2.5 sizes too big.
post #6200 of 7597
post #6201 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by cezinho View Post

New shoes:
93346738-226C-46AF-B178-F357DE633E7C.jpg

Great colors
post #6202 of 7597

Dorking is a town in Surrey, England. It is full of rather odd people.
post #6203 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

Dorking is a town in Surrey, England. It is full of rather odd people.

Thanks!
post #6204 of 7597
Well, tanks Gianni. I'm blnid noow.
post #6205 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBNYC View Post

Hi
I've recently bought my first CJ pair. The Black Alex. But I was under the impression UK and US were .5 to 1 size apart. So when I went in to CJ store in Manhattan and was told I was a 9E in UK sizing, I chalked it up to a CJ-specific thing. Only today did I think to pull out an American shoe in the size I usually order stateside: The AE Woodstock. Granted one's an oxford and the other a loafer but I decided to compare them both heel-to-heel anyhow. Um so the Alex UK 9E was about an inch longer than the AE 11.5!!! That makes the difference, even with allowance for style variation, closer to 3 sizes difference. Every chart I've read online goes no farther than a one-inch difference between US and UK sizing. Has anyone else noticed this? Does CJ in fact have a sizing all their own, independent from universal UK sizing? How many shoe sales have I missed in Europe because I thought I was outside the realm of sizes on sale? Some sweet Carminas come to mind, for example.

Rules of thumb are not science, but many find they can safely adhere to them.

Amount of variance between one's US TTS:

C&J full size down
JL full size down
EG 1/2 size down
post #6206 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Rules of thumb are not science, but many find they can safely adhere to them.

Amount of variance between one's US TTS:

C&J full size down
JL full size down
EG 1/2 size down


Normally, I'd agree. And this is what I've believed until the heel-to-heel thing. No 9 should be longer than any 11. This is really gonna mess with this feeling I always have of knowing everything! :P

post #6207 of 7597
Measure heel to ball-of-foot, not heel to toe.
Toe shape/length does not influence fit much.
post #6208 of 7597

Oh wow! Now, see. THAT makes sense to me. Thanks, I'll start doing that from now on.

post #6209 of 7597
Example
358 8.5e
modified 8.5 B/D
001 9.5 (E?)

this is by no means an exact science but just to show approx how different lasts fit.
8.5 358 is longer than 9.5 001 is longer than 8.5 modified, for example.
Also, measuring the outside of the shoe won't give a good estimation of the inside measurements per se.
E.G. a stormwelted shoe will have a much less close edge trim making the outside measurements larger.



Here two 8.5e 341 lasts, one with a stormwelt and one with a normal welt; I guess you can see how the boot has larger outside measurements.

imw88yTl.png

UM6wG2nl.png

in the end... its about how the shoe fits. All the 'size conversion wisdom' in the world can't guarantee anything because there are two variables; the last and the foot.
Edited by Crat - 3/11/14 at 3:58pm
post #6210 of 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post

@RBNYC
- first off please use normal sized font. the large font was terribly irritating.

second, their sizing is very different from the standard UK sizes you find in other brands such as G&G, EG, Churchs, etc.

I would recommend trying on C&J's before purchasing them as their sizes are quite different.

For example, in US sizes I am generally a 12D which translates to me being a UK11.5E in most brands. However, with C&J in the 348 Last I am a 10.5 and in other C&J lasts I am an 11.

Same here, I'm a US9.5D Alden, 9 in EG & Carmina and 8 in C&J 348 last.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **