or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 372

post #5566 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post


Love the tan edging contrast with the navy blue. Fantastic combo!

Great makeup.

post #5567 of 8344
A very curious pic of an Islay uppers before lasting shows the smart way used by C&J to reduce hide waste:

The hidden tongues are probably all cutted from a dark brown hide massively used, the rest in the same tan of pembroke coniston etc, matched in the finishing room.

An-Islay-boot-awaiting-lasting.-The-boot-will-eventually-be-stained-to-match-the-tongue-845x634.jpg

From a nice C&J factory tour by Gentleman's Gazette
Edited by alexSF - 1/13/14 at 4:42pm
post #5568 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post


@Crat, did any mud or water get through the storm welt?
post #5569 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganbatte View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post
 


Thanks Apollo and the others who have helped..  Actually I bought it during a store sale (20% off).  In this context, do you think it would then be acceptable?


I do. Just make sure, that it is acceptable to YOU.

post #5570 of 8344
Quote:
A very curious pic of an Islay uppers before lasting shows the smart way used by C&J to reduce hide waste:

The hidden tongues are probably all cutted from a dark brown hide massively used, the rest in the same tan of pembroke coniston etc, matched in the finishing room. 

Actually it's nothing to do with avoiding waste. The tongue and the rest of the uppers are identical leather and all start off the same colour; the tongue, however, has to be stained before closing as otherwise the stain would mark the lining.

post #5571 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuur View Post

Hey Guys

Last year I bought 3 pairs of CJ shoes and with all 3 of them I experienced the same problem, after a while the top of the heel starts to come off. With my 2 oxfords this started after 2-3 months. With my Coniston boots, which I bought middle of december, it's already noticeable on the sides, and I only have worn them 8-9 times and not on rough terrain. My cobbler says he sees this fenomenon more and more with all brands...

I wear my shoes often but never for 2 days in a row.

Is this normal? It's not really a big deal as my cobbler can easily replace them (for rubber ones because he says these stay in place better) but it's still 15€ for each replacement.

PS: besides of this returning problem I'm very happy with overall quality and durability of my CJ shoes. Very comfortable shoes as well.

Here in London I wear Highbury and Hallam, on rubber, to work. 

 

They get a good spanking walking on tarmac, cobblestone, up and down stairs, smashing open lift doors, kicking out of my way children and the elderly, all in hot or freezing weather, rain and sleet.

 

I never wear them two days in a row and polish them every two weeks. Use C&J shoe trees.

 

Both are ~12 months old and look and feel like almost new.

 

Inspected both closely just now and nothing is coming apart.

 

These are incredibly well made shoes and offer fantastic value for money at this price points.

 

Personally I can't fault C&J.

post #5572 of 8344
This ^

I have several (!) pairs of CJ collected over the years and haven't any issue with a single shoe. IMO the quality is of the highest order, this is even borne out when visiting the factory shop. their subs and samples are equally as resilient worn over the years. Should anyone ask for a rec regarding shoe purchases I always point in CJ direction.
post #5573 of 8344
I ordered a pair of Islay boots today , Phew! was it difficult to find my size a UK8!
I will share picture's as soon as they arrive and hope they fit me. my only concern will be the loose tongue, hope it stays in place when the boots are laced up.

They will be by only real pair of C&J in addition to these Holland&Holland boots probably made by C&J also.

null_zpse0343b5f.jpg
post #5574 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbister View Post

Actually it's nothing to do with avoiding waste. The tongue and the rest of the uppers are identical leather and all start off the same colour; the tongue, however, has to be stained before closing as otherwise the stain would mark the lining.

Yes, at first I thought the same, but why do this with a boot where the tongue it's so long that it's easily handleable outside, even with an hand underside that cover the lining?
post #5575 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post


Yes, at first I thought the same, but why do this with a boot where the tongue it's so long that it's easily handleable outside, even with an hand underside that cover the lining?

Well that was the explanation they gave me in the factory when I took the photograph that you borrowed for your earlier post! 

post #5576 of 8344
post #5577 of 8344
Islays in the wild, worth repeat viewing. An image of a well crafted item being used as it was intended; bravo, Crat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post

post #5578 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post

I ordered a pair of Islay boots today , Phew! was it difficult to find my size a UK8!
I will share picture's as soon as they arrive and hope they fit me. my only concern will be the loose tongue, hope it stays in place when the boots are laced up.

 

They're actually stitched just below the 4th eyelet or something like that, so I don't think you need to worry - at lest my tongues have stayed right in the middle. Some time ago I claimed that they were unstitched, but I was proven wrong when I put them on last time. Which was by the way here: 

 

Only problem is it was two weeks ago, and I haven't cleaned them yet :confused:

 

 (but the patina :slayer:)

post #5579 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by S K M View Post

They're actually stitched just below the 4th eyelet or something like that, so I don't think you need to worry - at lest my tongues have stayed right in the middle. Some time ago I claimed that they were unstitched, but I was proven wrong when I put them on last time. Which was by the way here: 



Only problem is it was two weeks ago, and I haven't cleaned them yet confused.gif

 (but the patina icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif)

Thank you, lets see I may be able to try them tomorrow! hopefully they will be a good fit.
post #5580 of 8344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

@Crat, did any mud or water get through the storm welt?
Nope, dry feet.
Commando is decidedly better in muddy conditions though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **